Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Before I Break Something! Cold Feed

carlb

I need to supply a cold feed to the induction kit as its getting very hot. The kit is a greddy one that goes across the back and down the side of the engine and the filter is located on the drivers side in the big space behind headlight. I cant see anywhere to fit the cold feed silicone hose apart from drilling a hole in the metal just behind the drivers light theres a flattish piece in front of the wheelarch. If i tap it it doesnt seem very thick or supportive and appears to be a big hollow space under it that would allow easy access to the back of the bumper so could use the hole thats next to fog light to source the cold air.

Before my drill Battery recharges and i go for it does Anyone know if i can go cutting a hole in this without any issues needs a circle of 75mm cutting?

Thanks

personally I wouldn't want the intake that low, you risk water getting into the engine going through puddles etc.

If you take a look at the SRT intake for the IS300 they use the stock intake feed.

http://www.swiftracing.com/SRT/item.aspx?id=2

If you could get hold of that IS300 part and fabricate shielding like the SRT intake then that would give you a nice cold air supply.

That does look amazing but so does the whole car. If i had a turbo or supercharger i would go all out and just buy that but i think even fabricating one sounds a little over the top for my setup. I just put the induction kit on for a little better sound few months ago. But completely forgot about cold feed at the time.

The only reason i am bothering is because its probably sucking hot air into the engine making it a waste of time and the big metal pipe seems to get quite warm even after a 15min rest. Maybe i could still go with the idea but not use the lower hole next to the fog light. I noticed there is a hole around a few cm in diameter already in the plastic cover under the car. I could possible use that and water wont be sucked into it from the front of the car. I dont know how strong the thing sucks but would water be sucked up verticaly through that hole?

Thanks

I could possible use that and water wont be sucked into it from the front of the car. I dont know how strong the thing sucks but would water be sucked up verticaly through that hole?

Thanks

No probably not, it isn't going to be sealed and even if water got up the pipe it is unlikely to be drawn into the intake through the filter.

I think even without the shield the front of the IS300 intake would direct nice cold air around your filter which would save you drilling holes . Expensive though for just a piece of plastic - see bottom of the following thread:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/17519-intake-for-is200/

So i think will try both n modify an original scoop along with the cold feed pipe from bumper it will have a 90deg angle anyway so water prob wont go up it. Just need to confirm the cutting a hole where the mark is on the below image

null.jpg

Will look into fabricating some air box too but i saw an image where someone had put some kind of "jacket" over the main pipe to keep it cool ?

Thanks

Pretty quick and easy job there was just enough space to make a hole big enough as the pipe is quite thick around 90mm wide. So hopefuly the induction kit will now feed cooler air into the engine.

null-3.jpg

null-2.jpg

null-1.jpg

Might spruce up the engine bay when i have time. I Really want one of the engine covers that covers the right side of the engine when the standard air filter box is removed but i guess they are custom made

Thanks