Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Key Cloned Break In?

Hi All,

Had my Lexus broken into on the weekend (they nicked the TomTom) but the odd thing is that the car was locked and the alarm didn't go off. No damage to door and no window smashed suggesting that they managed to remotely open the doors as if they were using a legitimate key?

Does anybody know if key codes can be cloned (or remotely snooped) or if there is some master/valet key?

I mean I should be thankful that no damage was done - but it's not the first time it's happened (last time around 2 years ago they got away with a cheap mp3 player), it now feels like my poor Lexus is unsafe outside my own house.

It's an IS200 2002 plate if that helps. Also a Soco came around to take prints - so I'm guessing there must be a spate of these going on - they're usually not bothered about vehicle crime.

Anyway appreciate your thoughts everybody.

Thanks,

Griffter

unless you have owned the vehicle from new and never left the car with a master key then there is the potential for somebody to have programmed another key to operate the central locking/alarm.

it is possible to erase all keys programmed into the system and just add back in the ones you own. If you search these forums you should be able to find the procedure, or alternatively ask your dealer to do it - it shouldn't take more than 10 mins.

It should not be possible to clone a key just by the wireless signal. You have to program it into the ECU of the vehicle using a master key.

• 4 weeks later...

I assume you were a victim of signal jamming. This is a common way for thieves to gain entry into your car (very common here in South Africa) What they do is just hold down the button on another remote while you attempt to lock your car. The signal from your key remote is then "jammed" by the signal from the thieve's remote. Works on most cars.

I just tested it on my IS200 now. I held down the remote button for my motorised gate and tried to lock/unlock the doors on my car. It wouldnt lock. Try it yourself!

You need to be wary of this technique deployed by thieves. Always check your doors after you lock them with the remote. Its easy to walk away thinking your doors have locked as the IS200 does not make any loud beeps when you lock/unlock the doors via the remote.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links