Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Windscreen

Hi all

I just reg now. And my question is about my front windscreen. So i have a massive crack from passeger side in the bottom until the driver side (about 30cm) . I want to replace or repair it, if it can. I watch in youtube how to replace the front windscreen. I buy from eBay all tools to replace it, but now i can find a windscreen. I am in Scotland, Aberdeenshire i've try two scrap yards but no luck. Can sameone help me please. thank you

post-47679-0-58499600-1374095008_thumb.j

Hey guys. need some help. I recently installed a front windshield and since then my auto headlight switch is not working. And also my fog lamps have gone dead !! no visible leaks !!! BSG windshield installed . No fuse blown re - fogs. Any ideas ? is there a fuse for the photo sensor ? or is it related to the replacement windshield?

For what it will cost to buy the glass, the tools, the glue, the primer, etc etc - just pay someone else to do it. If you're fully comp on the insurance, it'll cost between £50 and £75. Seeing as the windscreen is a massive safety point, and not just a piece of glass you see out of, unless you actually know what you are doing, don't do it yourself. If you do decide to do it yourself, please don't ever sell that car to anyone else.

To the second poster. The screen has nothing to do, and is in no what connected to any of the lights in your vehicle. The only connection a screen has in a 1st Gen IS is the wiper heater element along the bottom of the screen. The auto lights are controlled by one of the two small "domes" on the drivers side of the dash board. However, these have nothing to do with your fog lamps. I would wager that there is a leak, that's trickling into the drivers footwell fuse bank, and is the cause of your light issues. If the screen was fitted by a proper company, it will be under warranty, so have it removed, checked, and refitted. If you fitted it yourself, regardless of whether there is a leak or not - have it removed, checked and fitted properly.

Lesson - don't fit bonded glass to vehicles yourself, unless you are trained and have the correct equipment. I'm all for people fitting indirect glazing (side/opening windows, front or rear screens that are held in with rubber trims and not bonded), but when it comes to bonded glass, let a professional do the work. Even main dealers don't undertake bonded glass work - they subcontract it out. There is a reason for that.

For what it will cost to buy the glass, the tools, the glue, the primer, etc etc - just pay someone else to do it. If you're fully comp on the insurance, it'll cost between £50 and £75. Seeing as the windscreen is a massive safety point, and not just a piece of glass you see out of, unless you actually know what you are doing, don't do it yourself. If you do decide to do it yourself, please don't ever sell that car to anyone else.

To the second poster. The screen has nothing to do, and is in no what connected to any of the lights in your vehicle. The only connection a screen has in a 1st Gen IS is the wiper heater element along the bottom of the screen. The auto lights are controlled by one of the two small "domes" on the drivers side of the dash board. However, these have nothing to do with your fog lamps. I would wager that there is a leak, that's trickling into the drivers footwell fuse bank, and is the cause of your light issues. If the screen was fitted by a proper company, it will be under warranty, so have it removed, checked, and refitted. If you fitted it yourself, regardless of whether there is a leak or not - have it removed, checked and fitted properly.

Lesson - don't fit bonded glass to vehicles yourself, unless you are trained and have the correct equipment. I'm all for people fitting indirect glazing (side/opening windows, front or rear screens that are held in with rubber trims and not bonded), but when it comes to bonded glass, let a professional do the work. Even main dealers don't undertake bonded glass work - they subcontract it out. There is a reason for that.

My insurance is the cheapest and is only theft and fire withou Windscreen cover for that I want to replace it itself.

I would either upgrade your insurance, or pay a company to come do it for you. I will never advocate DIY windscreen replacement, unless it's indirectly glazed (which yours isn't). Again, for the materials cost alone; glue, primer, tools incl. glue gun, the screen itself, a new trim, the cost isn't going to be far off paying a professional to do it for you, and you can look at the small extra as being for the fact the glass, and the fitting, is guaranteed

I certainly wouldn't risk doing it myself, as matt said it's an important safety part of your car and if you screw it up then you'd have to pay someone to sort it anyway.

If you pay someone to sort it then you've got the comfort of knowing an important jobs been done properly.

I've watch this video and i think it's not too hard to be done by myself. Recently i replace the front brake disc's with pads and the engine oil. This i think it will be more ease. Yesterday i make e quote in autoglass.co.uk and they told me a freaking £860 without discount and with discount is $680 which is very expensive for me. Thank you for your advice but i still not find someone to replace it for £160-170 because i read here somewhere this price for replacement front windscreen.

Cos you read somewhere that this is the price of a windscreen, must be true then. Think you'll find it's a bit more than that.

I think fitting a windscreen is a bit more complicated than changing brakes pads, disks and engine oil.

The advice you have been given by members here and an actual professional windscreen fitter who does this for a living day in and day out and who's opinion should be taken 100% is do not do it yourself!

You've seen a video and you've changed brakes and oil so that qualifies you does it? I don't think so mate. What if you don't fit it correctly? Huge possibility of this happening as you've never done it before. For all you know the screen could blow in while your driving down the motorway or fall outwards under heavy braking.

There have also been a few incidents of badly fitted windscreens on an IS leaking even when done by the professionals. Then water getting into electrics and causing major headaches! Thing is if it's done by a proffesional company and it leaks then you have a guarantee and they are liable. Do it yourself and it leaks and screws the electrics, all you've done is create more problems for yourself!

I've watch this video and i think it's not too hard to be done by myself. Recently i replace the front brake disc's with pads and the engine oil. This i think it will be more ease. Yesterday i make e quote in autoglass.co.uk and they told me a freaking £860 without discount and with discount is $680 which is very expensive for me. Thank you for your advice but i still not find someone to replace it for £160-170 because i read here somewhere this price for replacement front windscreen.

Oh yes! Perfect video - of what NOT to do when replacing a windscreen. Good to see the "fitter" wasn't using cut proof gloves, any protection inside or outside the car, archaic tools, and is jumping all over the vehicle. Yes, looks easy huh?

By the way, where's the rest of the video? Where it shows what you do AFTER you remove the windscreen? Because, surely, you don't think it looks easy to change your windscreen, without actually knowing to do the rest of it?

There's a reason why people employ trained fitters to change windscreens. There's a reason why even main dealers won't change windscreens (or any bonded glass on a car). Why do you think that reason is? I mean, if anyone can change a windscreen cos they watched a video on the internet, then why would anyone employ a trained, skilled, windscreen fitter?

Do you think you could perform surgery on someone after watching a video (or indeed, as this case is, watching half a video) on the internet?

Moving on to your other points, if you think changing brake discs and engine oil is harder than a windscreen, you are in for a big shock. I'm no mechanic, but have worked on a lot of my own cars, from engine swaps, to brake system overhauls, to changing out entire suspension set ups, and wheel bearings. Those are rudimentary mechanics; things you can do if you can 1) read and 2) hold a spanner correctly. But if you think that pouring a liquid into a 2" hole is not as hard as changing a windscreen, I think you are very, VERY much mistaken.

Tell me, whats the name of the tool the guy is using in the video to remove the windscreen?

Autoglass will always be expensive if you are going private and not through insurance. They will always quote highly as they don't want your work. They focus on insurance work, as each contract is worth millions of pounds per year. It's not worth their time, nor effort, to do a one-off private windscreen change for one person. They also cannot quote less than they will for the insurance company - and why would they?

I recently changed a windscreen on a 2001 IS200 S model. These didn't have heated screens as standard, however the screen I used was a heated one. Why? It's actually cheaper to get the heated one than the non heated. Supply vs demand. He was paying for it himself, not going through the insurance. Total cost? £173 inc VAT. So yeah, well done. You rang one place, got one price, and think that's that....

So how's about a bit less of what you think you know, but don't, and a bit more of listening to people who do know ;)

If you really must change it yourself, and for the record I'm saying this is a BAD idea, then please don't ever drive it on a public road, and don't ever, EVER sell it to anyone else.

Cos you read somewhere that this is the price of a windscreen, must be true then. Think you'll find it's a bit more than that.

I think fitting a windscreen is a bit more complicated than changing brakes pads, disks and engine oil.

The advice you have been given by members here and an actual professional windscreen fitter who does this for a living day in and day out and who's opinion should be taken 100% is do not do it yourself!

You've seen a video and you've changed brakes and oil so that qualifies you does it? I don't think so mate. What if you don't fit it correctly? Huge possibility of this happening as you've never done it before. For all you know the screen could blow in while your driving down the motorway or fall outwards under heavy braking.

There have also been a few incidents of badly fitted windscreens on an IS leaking even when done by the professionals. Then water getting into electrics and causing major headaches! Thing is if it's done by a proffesional company and it leaks then you have a guarantee and they are liable. Do it yourself and it leaks and screws the electrics, all you've done is create more problems for yourself!

It happens - not often, but it does happen. But worse than possibly faulty electrics, a badly fitted windscreen can kill someone. There have been cases where incorrectly fitted windscreens have crippled people for life, and even resulted in death.

Also, to the OP, where are you getting the replacement windscreen? You've made one phone call, to Autoglass, so I presume you haven't enquired anywhere as to buying a new screen? What sort of price are you expecting to pay for this?

And how much do you think the tools will cost?

Do you know what tools you need?

Where are you expecting to get the glue from, and the primer?

Do you know what the glue and primer costs?

Do you know how to use the glue and primer?

When you've bought your glue, and primer, what are you going to use to expel the glue?

What about a new trim? Cost? From where?

Svetoslav. I don't want you to think that we don't think you can do it. But there are so many difficulties in getting it right. Does your insurance, even on third party fire and theft, really not have windscreen cover? Find out how much it would be to have this upgraded on your insurance. We do not want you to injure yourself or risk damaging your car.

I'm sorry if we don't appear to be helpful.

Svetoslav. I don't want you to think that we don't think you can do it. But there are so many difficulties in getting it right. Does your insurance, even on third party fire and theft, really not have windscreen cover? Find out how much it would be to have this upgraded on your insurance. We do not want you to injure yourself or risk damaging your car.

I'm sorry if we don't appear to be helpful.

I do. Because I KNOW he can't do it. Sadly, some people won't listen to people who actually do know what they are talking about, and have the same syndrome as certain other users here, that think because they watched a video on the internet, or a DVD, they can do something right off the bat.

I've no problem with him risking his own safety - if he's stupid enough to attempt it, then he's big enough to face the consequences. However, I'm not happy that he's seemingly uncaring about risking anyone else's safety, hence why I've made it abundantly clear he should drive this car on the public road, and never ever sell it to anyone else.

• Like 1

I'm all for people learning stuff through videos/reading, I mean I learnt most of the stuff I know about cars (suspension, brakes, body repair, ect.) through youtube videos and reading pages and pages of other peoples attempts at doing such things. I'm not saying when I start doing all these things to my car I know it will go 100% smoothly because I watched stuff on youtube.

It's like I'm planning to refurb my wheels myself this weekend, I've watched about 5-10 different videos on it, read pages and pages of advice on it and asked people on here for advice. If there was a guy who was confirmed as doing it for a living that told me I couldn't do it I'd leave them until I can get them done properly.

But watching 1 badly filmed video on how to remove a windscreen isn't really much research as to the actual fitting, it may look simple enough to remove as well but those guys are professionals with all the correct tools and equipment to hand, what if you get halfway through then realise you need something else? Will you be able to go and get what you need or will you be stuck cause your car doesn't have a windscreen?

Phone up more then 1 company, best best is to google people in your area as smaller businesses are often cheaper (I find) then the larger companies e.g. autoglass.

Also listen to people who do it for a living.

On top of this, the screen forms part of the cars structure. If not fitted correctly the car will not perform correctly when you want it to most - in a crash!

It does play a huge part in structural integrity. But along with that, it is what allows your airbags to work properly; both the two front ones, and the side, A-Post, ones too.

Many people have been seriously injured, crippled, and even killed, by badly fitted windscreens. Whether they be fitted badly, or processes and proceedures not adhered to during the fitting process.

We are shown a video, from time to time, from a woman in the US that had a screen fitted to her minivan. The screen wasn't fitted properly. She was involved in a car crash a good while later (I forget how long, but it wasn't just a week, it was a good while), and the screen was pushed out of the vehicle by the front airbag, due to it not being stuck in properly. Then van then rolled, and the roof collapsed at the front since there was no screen in the vehicle. Suffice to say, this woman was crippled for life.

Another video we are shown, made by the company that makes the glue and primers, shows two identical Focus', both having screen replacements. One is fitted correctly, the other is fitted "well enough", but proceedures, such as primer drying times, are skipped. "Well enough" means it's not well enough at all, but there will be the ones that fit screens and think it's done "well enough". Anyway, both Focus' are crash tested, including the air bags going off. The 1st car survives the impact, and the screen holds fast while the airbags deploy correctly. The crash test dummy in it survives with a cracked rib or two and a few abrasions (and probably face rash from the airbag, but thats life). The 2nd one, although all processes have been met, the primer wasn't allowed to dry for the full time it needed. When crash tested, it's fine initially, but when the air bags go off, the screen is completely thrown clear of the car, several feet. The airbags deflate inside the cabin as there is no screen to hold them, and the crash test dummy dies of massive organ impact from hitting the steering wheel. Finally, the take another focus, don't primer it at all, glue it up, throw the screen in, and then crash it without waiting the full hour needed for the glue to dry - same thing happens, but this time the screen travel 15-20 feet clear of the vehicle. Now what if there was a pedestrian in the trajectory? They could be seriously injured, possibly decapitated.

now you understand why I say if you plan to change a bonded windscreen on your own, with no training and no understanding on what you are doing, and more importantly WHY you are doing it, then don't ever drive that car on a public road, and don't ever sell it to anyone else.

Me personally, I'd hate to be responsible for manslaughter; beit the motorist in the car, or pedestrian outside it, as a result of me fitting a windscreen poorly. A fitter I worked with came close - he didn't click the bonnet shut on a vehicle he worked on, by mistake. That customer left after the drying time, drove 2 miles in slow traffic, then got on a motorway. The bonnet flicked up at about 55/60mph. Fortunately, it wasn't busy, and she was in the inside lane, and thankfully - AMZINGLY - didn't panic, and just slammed the anchors on and pulled up on the shoulder. But that could have been tragic.

I don't want anything like that on my conscience....

I hear you mate, i know some stuff that looks so simple is frustrating when i costs so much, its a shame about your insurance

Theres a difference between a skill and knowledge. Anyone can change brake pads, disc. there's no skill involved. Replacing bonded glass is a skill and even if you know what to do step by step its something you'll need to learn to do. I made that mistake when i tried to heatshrink tint film. Different job but same principle.

Good luck and hope you sort it one way or another

and btw matt, dont be so hard on him. Ive very sure he didnt think it through enough to realise how important the windscreen is to himself and others safety and was just asking in general. I dont think we needed to come down on him so hard. All he needed to know is, no its a very difficult game and the youtube video is a bad example and 2. Just remember that your windscreen plays a big part in your own, and others safety. If someone asked you in a pub about it and then brought up they saw this video online you wouldnt lecture them would you.

Petay, I wasn't going to be, but since he refused to listen when I first told him, I needed to get my message across. I'd say the same to a guy in the pub if they refused to heed my advice the same way

Matt, sometimes you can advise till youre blue in the face,but i think youve done all you can and more,and id be surprised if your advice is taken on this occasion but i hope for safety sake it is.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links