Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Strange Noise On Kick Down

RogerSA

Good morning all. "Worried of Launton" will be grateful for any advice.

I have an 05 GS300 (lovely!) which I've owned since 2008. It has 58,000 miles and is serviced by the dealership.

I've noticed recently that if I use kick down (and I mean pedal right down to the metal) from about 50 mpg I hear a short rasping sound which I think comes from the transmission. It actually sounds like the "snick" on a manual gearbox snatch change and you've beaten the synchro.

Lexus MK have no experience of this and so I wonder if any of you guys and gals can shed some light on it. I should add, this is very far from my usual driving style.

Thanks all

Roger

• 1 year later...

Hi Roger

I get exactly the short rasping sound on kickdown you describe. Been wanting to get it checked out at Lexus Poole but haven't yet as I rarely use kickdown. Have you had any light shed on this occurrence since you first posted this issue?

Regards

Mickey

Hi Mickey

Absolutely no help from Lexus. They came out with me but advised "bring it back if it gets worse or you break down". !!!!!!!

I contacted Toyota to ask if they would interrogate worldwide service records. Again, no dice and a sweet girl from customer services referred me back to my dealership (but you are welcome to take the car elsewhere she said!!!).

Good news is I've sorted it but I can't say if it'll work for you, obviously. A good friend who works with performance cars took it out when I mentioned it. He brought it back after 10 minutes and invited me to check it out. He encouraged me to drive "robustly" and guess what noise gone. He told me that he had thrashed the a*se of the thing, using kick down brutally and ignoring the noise when it occurred. We have concluded that my driving style was too gentle and allowed oil ways, valves etc to gum up. I now give the car a little wellie now and again and so far so good.

Hope it helps

Hi Roger

Thanks for the latest on the "noise on kick-down". It's really helpful that you've explored the routes with Lexus etc that I've been contemplating. Regarding the action your friend took: I can really believe this to be a worthwhile option to explore. I now only do around 4000 miles per annum, and those are mainly short local trips which hardly extend the car at all. This has given me a couple of problems (for example seized brake calipers and cracked tyre walls) which I''m convinced would not have happened if I'd been using the car regularly (and and with a bit verve). I'm going to try what your friend did with yours, though obviously this will be totally at my own risk. Thanks again Roger, I'll let you know how I get on in due course.

Regards

Mickey

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Roger

Incredible! I did as your friend did with yours. I took the car for a spin on a quiet, dry day - and "gave it some welly", foot to floor and holding it until rev counter showed just this side of the red. I did this five or six times over a period of about twenty minutes. Result: no more rasping sound. The lesson seems to be to give the car a bit of a work out occasionally - to keep the oil ways, valves etc properly lubricated. I guess the old adage "Use it or Lose it" applies.

Thanks again Roger

Mickey

• 1 month later...

• 4 weeks later...

Hi ! This car as every other needs to work at all range of rpms, obviously the fuel consumption raises a lot but you should give your car some 'heavy foot' from time to time, it is good not only for a transmission but for cleaning engine deposits and catalytic converter as well. If you want your car to be reliable and running smoothly for a long time let him 'go crazy' from time to time :)