Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

M59 Diff Code

2000lexi

hmmm - -

your car left hand drive , import or something ?

if you want to know its a limited slip diff then, jack up rear end of car and rotate the wheel. the opposite wheel should turn in the same direction. (lsd)

if the opposite wheel turns in opposite direction then you don't have a limited slip diff. (open diff)

not sure what the M59 code is though.

does it have a letter S stamped anywhere on the diff or sticker ?

hmmm - -

your car left hand drive , import or something ?

if you want to know its a limited slip diff then, jack up rear end of car and rotate the wheel. the opposite wheel should turn in the same direction. (lsd)

if the opposite wheel turns in opposite direction then you don't have a limited slip diff. (open diff)

does it have a letter S stamped anywhere on the diff or sticker ?

No its right hand drive but was imported from the uk.

i not sure if it says s or not but im gonna change the oil today so ill open ity up and see.

Also if its a torsen does 1 wheel not go forward and the other back thats what mine does and if i get my friend to hold 1 side i cant spin the wheel on my side vica versa :P

Correct you can't do the standard LSD test on an IS as it has a Torsen LSD.

The only well to tell for sure if yours has a LSD is by the vin plate code.

On the vin plate will be a long number letter sequence telling the paint code etc... Basically the last few numbers will finish with the letter A or B. B denotes LSD.

Correct you can't do the standard LSD test on an IS as it has a Torsen LSD.

The only well to tell for sure if yours has a LSD is by the vin plate code.

On the vin plate will be a long number letter sequence telling the paint code etc... Basically the last few numbers will finish with the letter A or B. B denotes LSD.

Code says A02B mean lsd but its a 13 and a half year old car cant really go on that espicelly when it has no sport extras when it was sport from factory

This is why, as I said to you on another thread, I don't think yours was built for the UK market. I think yours was for the Irish market where the models had different criteria.

I find it very strange that you have none of the sport extras (so an SE by UK standards) but your code says you have an LSD. If the code is stamped with a B then it 100% for sure left the factory fitted with an LSD.

This is why, as I said to you on another thread, I don't think yours was built for the UK market. I think yours was for the Irish market where the models had different criteria.

I find it very strange that you have none of the sport extras (so an SE by UK standards) but your code says you have an LSD. If the code is stamped with a B then it 100% for sure left the factory fitted with an LSD.

Yea i mind that all i can do is open it up and see for sure and seeing as it is an old car im guessing some fella had alot of time and money in there hands and decided they would make it look like an se or wer am from a one wheeler

• 1 year later...

I can't figure out which code is for LSD and which for open diff. I see on eBay these three codes. M58, M59, M66,... I'm buying only a differential so i have to be sure that is LSD.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't figure out which code is for LSD and which for open diff. I see on ebay these three codes. M58, M59, M66,... I'm buying only a differential so i have to be sure that is LSD.

If you trust the seller then ask for the firewall code (also can be found on door cross member), it should be something like A02B, A01B or A03B for LSD equipped vehicle (letter "B" is for LSD). If it's A02A, A01A or A03A then it's open diff.

If you don't trust the seller then ask him to open the diff back cover and send you pictures to be 100% sure.

The problem is that the sellers are very lazy and if i ask them to open the diff and take a photo then they don't reply :D
Those diffs that are labeled as LSD are 300€ and more...

The problem is that the sellers are very lazy and if i ask them to open the diff and take a photo then they don't reply :D

Those diffs that are labeled as LSD are 300€ and more...

Bought mine for £185 shipped. Just look for is200 sport model, there are many breaking is200 all over the eBay.