Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I'm Developing A Creaky Rear End!

The-Acre

Can anyone tell me what to look for first? This has only happened twice, and both times when crawling through traffic in central London for some reason. It happened again yesterday. It's coming from the rear off side and sounds like an old mans bones creaking, and you can hear it when the rear of the car is pushed down. As soon as I got moving on the M23 it stopped, and I didn't hear it again, even when I got off the motorway and back in town.

There's no problem with it again today. It's not even that I'm going over bumps or anything in bad traffic so I'm a bit mystified. Any advice on where to look appreciated.

Thanks

Phil

Hasn't anyone got an idea of what this could be? It's been fine for a few days, then this morning I'm back in London traffic and it's creaking again. I get out of London and on to less crowded roads and all's quiet at the rear end. Just doesn't make sense.

Only a guess, as nobody has come up with anything, could it
be the rear brakes sticking slightly, does it happen if you very slightly lift
of the brake peddle, just as the car starts to creep forward, as I said only a guess,

Only a guess, as nobody has come up with anything, could it

be the rear brakes sticking slightly, does it happen if you very slightly lift

of the brake peddle, just as the car starts to creep forward, as I said only a guess,

Thanks for the suggestion. It seems to be suspension related, it sound like the noise you get from a rubber bush, but I can't understand why it only happens in heavy traffic situations. Where I live we don't get too many long hold ups and it's never a problem.

• 4 weeks later...

mine does the same, and its the rear anti-roll bar bushes.

they only creak when dry (ie in spell of dry hot weather) and at very low speed.

a good dose of silicon spray cures it.

I've wondered why it only ever happens when I'm in slow moving traffic. Thinking about it, I assume it's because it all gets hot back there with the exhaust, which is why It doesn't happen when its cold. That certainly backs up what you say about hot weather.

• 4 months later...

It will most likely be the rear arms from hub to body. They are the most obvious ones when you look underneath, and run directly from side to side. It will likely be the bushes where it mounts to the body. A good soaking in WD40 with its bottom in the air should cure it, let it sit for a few minutes and then a 10 minute drive, you'll be back to silence :)

Get a can of WD40 and go spray the rubbers of the suspension as may be gone dry,

See if that firstly makes the noise go, Then it's a case of doing one location at a time to find the dying dry rubber bush.

• 2 months later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links