Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is It Like? Ether Is250 0R Is 300H

....Not tried the S5 but drawn by the Quattro as no Lexus in the snow or ice is remotely safe to drive. the 'snow' button is as useful as a chocolate teapot....

I beg to differ on this point.

Drove my 2009 GS300 through the worst of the last 3 winters in complete control and without getting stuck or any dramas whatsoever.

How? By using winter tyres.

Thoroughly recommend them for cold temps, ice and snow. Usually swap them over Nov and keep them on until March/ Apr depending on temps. Saves the summer tyres as well whilst the winters are on.

Sorry, there was also mention somewhere of the folding mirrors: these close on parking automatically only in the Premier trim; I have the Luxury.

I had automatic folding mirrors on my last car but it doesn't bug me - as a matter of course, when turning the car off, I just incorporate pressing the fold button alongside applying the foot brake.

Ian,

A few questions on Luxury spec. Do the wing mirrors dip when reverse is selected( you can see the back wheels) like they do on my SEL.

Folding mirrors are a must for me as garaging is very tight, It doesn't say in the brochure that the luxury has them.

You have them on yours, is it standard spec or is it incorporated in the all electric leather seat/memory spec.

What extras did you opt for?

Thanks,

Exiled

No, I don't have dipping mirrors, but a reverse camera (with guidelines and sensors) comes with the navigation system, which I opted for.

I also added leather/heated seats but *not* ventilated/memory seats. It is quite possible dipped mirrors come with the latter, I honestly don't know (I didn't research it because I knew I was getting a reverse camera).

Just for reference, the reverse camera has two modes for guidelines, one for perpendicular parking and another for parallel parking.

I would advise anyone to get the navigation system in any case - nominally it's £1995 but this can be negotiated, and I'd say there won't be too many ex-demos without it.

I think you've gone for a good spec, I've got electric everything with the seats and seldom alter the settings.

Do you reckon the folding mirrors are a standard fit on the Luxury then. Does the spec include floor mats.

From what you say I would suspect dipping mirrors are a thing of the past.

I had electric seats on my last car but yes, as you say, I don't miss them as I am the only driver.

I *think* power folding mirrors are standard across the range; but I can't say I checked as I was always going for luxury trim.

And yes, I have floor mats.

For what it's worth, I found this review pretty fair:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/10205081/Driven-Lexus-IS300h.html

I would take issue on two points (aside from the final paragraph), however:

- the steering differs in the different modes because the throttle response is different - it took me a few days (i.e. a lot more than a test drive or two) to get used to this, but once you do, the steering/throttle combo is sensational; and

- the remote touch is superb (see my video on the "Connected Services" thread) - again, just because the reviewer isn't used to it and hasn't had time to learn it, he gives it up as a bad thing, but give me the mouse-style control over my wife's Audi's "dial" any day of the week.

I think it is true - and to the detriment of Lexus among reviewers - that the systems take longer to get used to. Frankly, and I hate to admit this, it is worth reading the manuals thoroughly cover to cover. After ten days with the car I still haven't done this, but every time I pick up a manual I find out how to do something else. Reviewers, whom I blame for many things but not this, do not have this luxury.

And, as ever, the final paragraph is nonsense (the IS frankly slaughters the 3-series as an all-rounder, except if you've an extra 20k to spec up the latter), although it touches on something we've discussed here before, namely that Lexus shouldn't be attempting to emulate the 3-series. I believe that for different reasons from the reviewer. And I don't mind "quirky"!

PS: whereas this kind of nonsense seriously lets journalism down.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013-lexus-is-review/265900

You wonder, genuinely, whether the author actually drove or even stepped into the car at all. The very phrase "annoying drone" is borrowed from somewhere else (and simply not something I've noticed at all). And the 3-series has a "classier cabin" - I know it's subjective, but don't make me laugh.

File under "safe to ignore"!

I had electric seats on my last car but yes, as you say, I don't miss them as I am the only driver.

I *think* power folding mirrors are standard across the range; but I can't say I checked as I was always going for luxury trim.

And yes, I have floor mats.

The frustrating thing, for me, regarding auto-folding of door mirrors is firstly that they're not on the F Sport trim and, secondly, and more much importantly, the fact that I can't even pick then them as an option.

If all goes to plan, I test drive the F Sport this Friday and Saturday. The Audi A6 Black Edition is more-or-less ruled out now (S line trim might still maintain some interest with me), along with the Jaguar XF Sport. There is interest in the brand spanking new A3 Saloon (nicely loaded with options, I will go to look at one, to assess capacity, coming in for a viewing at Wakefield Audi this week) or, rather boringly, back to an A4 (with a few more gadgets installed than my current one - I don't need to test drive that).

To be clear: my door mirrors *do* fold. There is a button which folds them. The only thing I don't have is the option to fold them automatically upon locking the car.

My wife's Audi Q3 is the same.

It's really not an issue!

I can think of reasons to pick an Audi over a Lexus, but folding door mirrors ain't one!

No, I understand what your car has got - it's the same as what the F Sport would have. Auto-folding mirrors is very important for making you (me) feel your car is safe( r ). It's also a good visual indicator that your car is locked-up (just in case). Pressing a separate button to fold mirrors is not really cool at all... it's like central locking, fumbling around for your key fob and then having to press a button is a bit retrograde these days.

The Q3 referred might, indeed, be like that - but it will have had the option to have auto-folding door mirrors. What I'm trying to say is that the Lexus (F Sport) doesn't give me the option... I can't chuck extra money at Lexus and get them. So, even if the mirrors actually fold, no-one will deign to flip the bit in code that actually gets them to fold on locking the car, instead - it seems to be reserved for the highest trim.

I think that auto-folding mirrors are like a few other things - auto-dimming mirrors, key-less entry, Bluetooth, multifunction steering wheel etc. - in that, once you have them on a car, you're very unlikely to have another car without them (at least, you're unlikely to intentionally not specify them - if you have the choice) - but, of course, there were times when cars had none of these things and now most are 'standard' - all should be options.

I'll be back with more thoughts on the IS 300h F Sport, of course - my current thinking is just from a short accompanied test drive and poring over the brochure.

Each to their own, of course, but my point is my last car was higher spec (including auto-folding mirrors), and I really don't miss any of that spec.

You think you need this stuff once you have it, but sometimes you really don't!

Like I say, honestly, I think (but only my opinion) it would be a mistake to let something like that put you off. If there are aspects of the driving or ownership experience which put you off, that's another matter of course. I really can't push one of Audi or Lexus over the other because the very reason I didn't go for Audi was that we already had one in the household - in other words, I like 'em both!

• Like 1

PS: whereas this kind of nonsense seriously lets journalism down.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013-lexus-is-review/265900

You wonder, genuinely, whether the author actually drove or even stepped into the car at all. The very phrase "annoying drone" is borrowed from somewhere else (and simply not something I've noticed at all). And the 3-series has a "classier cabin" - I know it's subjective, but don't make me laugh.

File under "safe to ignore"!

They give the same treatment to the GS450h F-Sport; http://www.whatcar.com/car-reviews/lexus/gs-saloon/450h-f-sport-4dr/summary/64940

The previous GS got 4 stars and the new one which is highly rated in the US for providing the best handling and best implementation of a CVT on a lexus etc and WC gives it 2.

I now try to only read US reviews of cars as they seem far more liberal and unattached to the dominate marques!

RTÉ, which is directly relevant to you, is fair but actually has little to say: http://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/motors/reviews/2013/0729/465280-lexus-is300h/

I'm beginning to worry about my hearing, mind. They mention a "drone" again: honestly, I hear nothing but road noise. I wonder how these people are driving the thing; are they going out of their way to apply the throttle while in sport mode with the synthetic noise at full volume?!

Thanks for link. But not much in there we don't know other than acknowledging keen pricing in Ireland.

I think the drone must refer to the engine noise when you overtake / hard accel... the only hybrid I've driven much (3 years) is the RX350h and the only time you heard any real noise was flooring it to overtake. But that was usually the v6 revving up and sometimes you also heard the whine of the electric motors too.

I do think they miss-report the noise. Gearboxes themselves surely shouldn't make much noise unless it's the mechanical cogs but those are missing in the CVT?? Even with a proper gearbox, once shifted to a lower gear under hard acceleration, the engine revs still have to go up and the electric motor bhp assist will also be combined so any noise for the CVT is drowned surely by these? Perhaps hybrids are still much of a mystery to most reporters and they have to label it somewhere. Also thinking more about it, the refinement of the car means cabin noise is one of the quietest around so perhaps that influences what noises are heard during driving that normally are ignored over more louder engine noises....

TBF the v6 in the IS250 is can whine like a muffled sewing machine when hard pressed :)

And again drone is relative .. what about the clatter your hear in a 220D Merc blue motion or whatever it's called. Was in one the other day and even just cruising around it sounds unbelievably loud and bangy. Yet between the bmw 320d and that they get such amazing reviews for refinement ...

Initial Report ---Day 2.

Is stunning in Mercury Grey in the flesh.

Vault -like Build Quality.

In D, is swift & frugal.------48mpg to date.

Connectivity with Apple/Windows 8 is instant.

Voice Recognition for all needs appears SO simple to "command".

Earily Quiet.

Lexus i-Phone in Dynamic Form!.

Tel

Hi Tel, It's great to hear your impressions are all positive so far, please keep us updated as you put on more miles on your new IS300h. One quick question: Is it a Windows 8 Phone via Bluetooth where you've found "instant connectivity" rather than, e.g. a Windows 8 tablet via wifi? I now develop software mostly for Microsoft Windows operating systems and so I'm something of a Windows Phone fan and I'm particularly interested in how well Lexus connected services work.

Hi Pete, Good find. Steve Hammes certainly seems more interested in and better informed about car technology than most motoring journalists. http://testdrivenow.com/2013-lexus-es-300h/ is his ES300h review which has the same engine and gearbox as our IS300h. As the IS300h isn't being sold in the USA, I guess it probably won't be reviewed by Steve but it'll be interesting to see what he has to say about the new IS250 or IS350.

Good point. Forgot it wasnt sold in USA. As for mainstream ifind motortrend very good. Saabkyle great for detailed analysis and stats. The only british is car buyer part of autoexpress but its not great

Don't worry, guys... I'll get you a fair and considered review if I'm to get the IS300h F Sport over this coming weekend.

About this "whine"... on my short test drive, the only noise that caught my attention (as being unfamiliar / different / unexpected) was the electric motor noise that was made as the car was coming to a slow stop. I did pick up on it and make a comment to my other half. It sounded like exactly what you'd expect - a kind of high-pitched (almost a whistle) sound of something slowing down, then stopping.

I think people are talking about a different whine, though. I will keep my ears open if it all goes down.

• Like 1

I think people are talking about a different whine, though. I will keep my ears open if it all goes down.

Not a whine, more of a scream from the engine just sitting at 5000+ rpm whilst the vehicle builds speed with the throttle hard down.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links