Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

What Is It Like? Ether Is250 0R Is 300H

Auto Mirrors are fitted to my F-Sport & my current m.p.g is c. 47 with a 30 mile return journey of 54.8 mpg.

The Mode is D & I drive it like I drove my ISF & am impressed with the acceleration given the F was rapid-------cannot wait to set Sport when it has been run-in.

Tel

Tel; thanks for update. Will be most interested to see how you find it after it's been run-in and you 'rag' it a bit more in sport mode. I suspect you'll see < 40mpg then in sport mode but with mixed driving it should even out. I would be interested to see how you find sport mode compared to the ISF for some spirited A/B road driving. That's when I really push my ISF along with a trip to The Nurburg ring :)

will be following your progress with interest as an existing ISF owner looking into the future...

Auto Mirrors are fitted to my F-Sport & my current m.p.g is c. 47 with a 30 mile return journey of 54.8 mpg.

The Mode is D & I drive it like I drove my ISF & am impressed with the acceleration given the F was rapid-------cannot wait to set Sport when it has been run-in.

Tel

Keep the updates coming Tel. What do you mean by auto mirrors? Dipping on reverse selection or folding in when locking?

....Not tried the S5 but drawn by the Quattro as no Lexus in the snow or ice is remotely safe to drive. the 'snow' button is as useful as a chocolate teapot....

I beg to differ on this point.Drove my 2009 GS300 through the worst of the last 3 winters in complete control and without getting stuck or any dramas whatsoever.How? By using winter tyres.Thoroughly recommend them for cold temps, ice and snow. Usually swap them over Nov and keep them on until March/ Apr depending on temps. Saves the summer tyres as well whilst the winters are on.

Not wishing to be pedantic but it is the button that is useless, fitting snow tyres is a whole different scenario.

Not wishing to be pedantic, but the point I was making was in response to your assertion that "...no Lexus in the snow or ice is remotely safe to drive....".

Using winter tyres refutes your assertion. I couldn't care less about a "snow button", but I have given an opinion based on my own experiences on how a Lexus could be driven safely in severe winter conditions.

• 3 weeks later...

I've had the new 2013 IS250 Luxury with added NAV Pack for 3 weeks now, and have done about 600 miles of mixed driving, town country and motorway.

Having previously had an IS220D then a IS250 SE-I this is my third Lexus.

Currently, I'm reasonably happy, but think the previous model had a better drive (this just doesn't feel as stuck to the road). I've not had time to muck about with all the gizmos yet, but have already identified some setting changes that I will be asking Lexus to make for me (the previous IS had same sort of setting that can only be adjusted by Lexus).

I use an iPhone5 and it Bluetoothed fine, and eventually got it to replicate my contacts each time so I can actually use it to make calls while driving. I also use the Bluetoothe Audio a lot as some of my music is on my Iphone but I prefer to use the USB Memory Stick option. I have all my music on a 64gb memory stick (I think it still has to be formatted FAT32 or FTA32EX so don't just think buying a 64gb Memory stick will work as they will almost certainly come as NTFS formatted which may not work). The biggest problem with the memory stick option is the location of the USB1 and USB2 ports, they are too close to the arm rest lid and will not allow the lid to close when they're inserted - I ended up buying a USB male/female adaptor at Maplins with a length of wire between). Seems to work OK.

The boot lid is unerringly light, and on investigation is un-Lexusly covered in lots of very cheap plastic.

Generally, happy with the car but may change to very happy once I've worked out all the gizmos.

One thing I forgot to include in my last post, the back seats now have third two third fold down facility meaning I can get dragged off to Ikea and carry more flat packs than something the size of a pair of skis like the previous two models.

Oh and I saw mentioned the new Softouch indicators and I can't say how much I hate them, if it ain't broke fiddle with it until it is! Don't follow me on the road as my indicators flip left and right almost at random!!!

I've had the new 2013 IS250 Luxury with added NAV Pack for 3 weeks now, and have done about 600 miles of mixed driving, town country and motorway.

Having previously had an IS220D then a IS250 SE-I this is my third Lexus.

Currently, I'm reasonably happy, but think the previous model had a better drive (this just doesn't feel as stuck to the road). I've not had time to muck about with all the gizmos yet, but have already identified some setting changes that I will be asking Lexus to make for me (the previous IS had same sort of setting that can only be adjusted by Lexus).

I use an iPhone5 and it Bluetoothed fine, and eventually got it to replicate my contacts each time so I can actually use it to make calls while driving. I also use the Bluetoothe Audio a lot as some of my music is on my iPhone but I prefer to use the USB Memory Stick option. I have all my music on a 64gb memory stick (I think it still has to be formatted FAT32 or FTA32EX so don't just think buying a 64gb Memory stick will work as they will almost certainly come as NTFS formatted which may not work). The biggest problem with the memory stick option is the location of the USB1 and USB2 ports, they are too close to the arm rest lid and will not allow the lid to close when they're inserted - I ended up buying a USB male/female adaptor at Maplins with a length of wire between). Seems to work OK.

The boot lid is unerringly light, and on investigation is un-Lexusly covered in lots of very cheap plastic.

Generally, happy with the car but may change to very happy once I've worked out all the gizmos.

I'd be interested to know what settings you would like to adjust but can't.

Haven't been on for a while - Interesting thread guys, have been digesting the whole thing for the last couple of hours. Nice to get some "real people's" opinions and thoughts.

Just after my local dealer got their first 3 IS in I popped down for a look and have got to say that all versions look better in person than the pictures. I think I still prefer the dark colours but that sonic silver colour looked pretty amazing in the bright sun. Inside the showroom they had a black F sport with black seats - I found it very gloomy inside and it also brought to mind how snug my 2006 2IS was - didn't seem much different (proportions) despite the increase in rear space.

While I was outside gawping (I mean assessing) at a non F sport in that sonic silver, a chap was going back to his IS220 and he made a comment about "we can dream" - chatting - he said he'd had many problems with his 220 and was very disappointed with the overall lexus experience. It didn't live up to the quality hype and depreciation had been bad. He was actually trading it in for a Ford Focus (pre 2011).

I had the IS250 SEL for a couple of years and this resonated with me. I obviously didn't have the well documented diesel engine related problems but regular rattles all across the dash, the high fuel and tax costs and an horrendous thirst for tyres and bad depreciation and rather expensive servicing etc. LED me to trade it in over a year ago now. Absence makes the heart grow fonder - I still have a soft spot for that car in Mesa Red with full cream leather and all the SEL NAV/ML toys but that guy's comments reminded me of why it had to go. It was so disappointing. I've had a 2012 Focus petrol 148bhp Ecoboost since - yes a rather less swish car (I still grimace at it occasionally thinking the IS was much better looking) but you know it is more fun to drive, seems to have a better ride balance, is more economical , cheaper to service, cheaper to insure (although it seems I was being ripped off by my long standing insurer and ex employer!) and is basically roomier, and has enough modern gadgets, and an excellent Sony stereo. It's almost as fast as the IS and because it's manual feels sportier, but equally its rather refined (apart from when the stop-start kicks in with a shudder!). Of course the lexus interior was nicer and more ergonomic.

Despite all this and any common sense, I am still looking into the latest IS! One thing's for sure the IS250 doesn't make much sense anymore - that's a no brainer for me after having the old one. I think it is going to depreciate very quickly. The IS300h seems like a more interesting proposition - as has been said previously the press reviews have been rather flat and I'd almost dismissed it off my next car list as the looks alone would not 100% sell it to me. However I am more impressed after reading your reviews at least it's worth considering. I do wonder how the servicing costs of the Hybrids compares to traditional powertrains.. anybody looked into this? One other thing - its a shame you cannot get an alternate colour lower dash like the old model all black is a bit gloomy IMO.

Doh..Thanks L.O.C. for continuing my pursuit of perfection! Shame I can't afford one as yet but I swore I would never buy a 4yr old Lexus again so I better get saving and get on one of those PCP plans. Maybe I should wait for the post predatory squinty eye/ facelift and the rumoured 200t engine??? But the Focus may have disintergrated by then...

I will stay tuned with interest.

MW

My service plan was originally costed on an IS250 as they didn't have the data to quote for the 300h when I asked them for figures. In the end the price came down by about £150 from the original IS250 based quote.

I guess that bears out the hybrid is cheaper to run day to day and at service time. Lets hope so anyway!

6000 miles so far in IS300h. 6000 very enjoyable sometimes exciting (in sport ) miles and apart from the garage still not seen another one.

17 wheels , firmer ride than normal Lexus , rail like handling all adds up to something not normally associated with Lexus but how good is it. Very good.

Sat nav and communication is driving me mad , problems dissolving from one aspect to another, disconnecting phone and not always keeping contact with music source. Informed Lexus Sheffield and they and Lexus are aware of issues and monitoring.

Seats very comfortable hold you tightly in place and my wife basically does not want to get out when she is in. She also says it is one of the best cars she has driven which is praise indeed.

Averaging 52-53 mpg which in my humble opinion is fantastic for a car of this calibre and speed not driven at 50 mph always. 650 miles to a tank. Turn the lever to sport and a red mist takes over the car.

So 7 weeks in I am very pleased some bugs in audio/phone but I am sure they will sort these soon. Very pleased we made this choice without seeing . It has exceeded what I expected and gets better day by day.

So all I can say is go out and treat yourselves . F Sport if you can but if not just sit back and enjoy.

• Like 3

6000 miles so far in IS300h. 6000 very enjoyable sometimes exciting (in sport ) miles and apart from the garage still not seen another one.

17 wheels , firmer ride than normal Lexus , rail like handling all adds up to something not normally associated with Lexus but how good is it. Very good.

Sat nav and communication is driving me mad , problems dissolving from one aspect to another, disconnecting phone and not always keeping contact with music source. Informed Lexus Sheffield and they and Lexus are aware of issues and monitoring.

Seats very comfortable hold you tightly in place and my wife basically does not want to get out when she is in. She also says it is one of the best cars she has driven which is praise indeed.

Averaging 52-53 mpg which in my humble opinion is fantastic for a car of this calibre and speed not driven at 50 mph always. 650 miles to a tank. Turn the lever to sport and a red mist takes over the car.

So 7 weeks in I am very pleased some bugs in audio/phone but I am sure they will sort these soon. Very pleased we made this choice without seeing . It has exceeded what I expected and gets better day by day.

So all I can say is go out and treat yourselves . F Sport if you can but if not just sit back and enjoy.

Thanks for the update, very interesting. I agree the mpg is great, although I'm not reaching your heights yet. I've seen a few comments around the audio being a bit buggy, hopefully they can sort these with updates. Keep us posted!

Just awaiting to take delivery of IS 300h F Sport in White......visually stunning compared to the boring BMW 3 Series which all mags rave about and trash Lexus. This will be my third Lexus - IS 200 and IS 250 ... Both from new ...in fact my 250 is eight years old soon with 93k on the clock and the only issues was a leaky seal in boot ( after 7 years ) and the well known alloy issues which Lexus Hedge End always sorted for me....Loyalty means a lot to Lexus @ Hedge End ....cannot fault them.

Interested in this AVS issue ....i have taken the Premium Nav option and my 300h is currently being built in Japan so not sure if AVS will be applied as brochure does not really clarify ...it's certainly not listed as a price option ....more that if you have the " Nav " option AVS should be specified. I was not asked and have posed this question to my dealership

My test drives were positive and look forward to,posting my early findings soon .....all positive !!!

Have not seen any F Sports so far in my area or on my travels so I know this car will Stand out....never have been interested in the BMW....to many and they look boring. WELL DONE LEXUS....one very loyal customer here.

Just awaiting to take delivery of IS 300h F Sport in White......visually stunning compared to the boring BMW 3 Series which all mags rave about and trash Lexus. This will be my third Lexus - IS 200 and IS 250 ... Both from new ...in fact my 250 is eight years old soon with 93k on the clock and the only issues was a leaky seal in boot ( after 7 years ) and the well known alloy issues which Lexus Hedge End always sorted for me....Loyalty means a lot to Lexus @ Hedge End ....cannot fault them.

Interested in this AVS issue ....i have taken the Premium Nav option and my 300h is currently being built in Japan so not sure if AVS will be applied as brochure does not really clarify ...it's certainly not listed as a price option ....more that if you have the " Nav " option AVS should be specified. I was not asked and have posed this question to my dealership

My test drives were positive and look forward to,posting my early findings soon .....all positive !!!

Have not seen any F Sports so far in my area or on my travels so I know this car will Stand out....never have been interested in the BMW....to many and they look boring. WELL DONE LEXUS....one very loyal customer here.

Welcome to the forum Dave (another one of us!). I thought my F Sport had the AVS and it turns out it hasn't, it's a £650 optional specified at order as it's a factory fit. I wasn't too concerned as I'd agreed to buy the car before I even knew about the AVS. I'm sure I read somewhere that some negative reviews of the handling LED Lexus to include it on F Sports with the premium nav, but that maybe for a different market. The variations in spec's from region to region are amazing so it's no wonder there is confusion. I'll be interested to here the outcome.

I bet you can't wait to get behind the wheel!

• Like 1

Cannot wait, even went in to see the demo again today. AVS not a big issue really. I have emailed my dealership tonight so no doubt will hear back on Monday.

Did not realise this club existed and i've been a customer for 11 years....lots of interesting discussion points on here.

Interesting to read your initial review PKLamb. The MPG / tank potential : )

Have treated myself to F Sport so,looking forward to showing it at the Golf Club in front of the tired looking 3 Series owners LOL !!!

The car park at my club is a tad tight so I've been parking it as far away as poss from the clubhouse - I've seen too many doors being opened and can't bear the thought of paintwork damage this early in ownership!

• Like 1

Absolutely agree, multi stories will be off limits as well or aim straight for the top floor to avoid those awful pillars.

How is the navigation package working, would be interested in the digital aspect with connections with iPhones etc. The brochure mentions creation of QR codes for onward directions once parked.

I've not come across the QR bit but have registered for the connected services portal. It's worth grabbing the nav manual to do it rather than rely on initiative. I think it is definitely in its infancy but could become very useful as time goes by. I have already found the ability to send a destination to the car from my office computer handy, I was forever fumbling around with bits of paper with addresses and postcodes on before driving off to see someone.

The street view is cool rather than functional, ok it shows you the end destination but as postcodes a not property specific (I think 12 to a code?) it is not 100% accurate. Still pretty cool though.

For me, the Iphone and lack of e mail/texts to the screen is the biggest disappointment, although as I didn't even know it was even possible I am not jumping up and down! I note you use an Iphone too. It's ok for the hands free and audio by Bluetooth (occasional dropouts) but the e mail feature does not work. My understanding is that the Message Access Profile (M.A.P.) required by both car and mile device is not fully supported by the Iphone. That's as much as I know, and whether the new iOS due out next week will make any difference who knows.

Happy driving (both sorts!)

David

As a former IS300 Sportcross (the lexy wagon) and current RX400h whose thoroughly tested a ct200h for a full week, I have been following this thread with great interest. My reason for posting now is to bring to your attention to a certain GS300h pricing starts at £31.5k you can read more here http://www.carbuyer.co.uk/news/115666/new-lexus-gs-300h-hybrid-available-now

Lexus is clearly gunning for the diesels with an their hybrids, I reckon my next car will be from the upcoming NX range if they do a 4x4 version or a wagon IS300h failing that RX450 or maybe a GS450h/300h will do. I personally don't like the german autos because the are built like lego pieces, lexus build looks like a carved structure/artwork.

• 1 month later...

2000 Mile Report------

Sport Mode------45mpg

D-Mode-----------45 to 55mpg the latter driving on good flowing Motorways/Auto-routes.

Best mpg----------58 mpg,20 Mile crawl in City Traffic.

Nav/Lexus Portal fine ----- connectivity to Windows 8/i Phone flawless.

Refinement/Build is exceptional

No Road Rash.

Perfect

Tel