Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Clutch Problem. Can Anyone Tell Me What This Noise Is?

Hi. I've recently bought my first lexus (2007 220d sel). It's fair to say my experience has been mixed as I've already had to have an injector replaced but the engine is running fine now. Just as I start to think perhaps I haven't bought a dud when I discover a noise each time I press the clutch pedal. The only way I can describe it is that it sounds like the noise you get when you press a hydrolic foot pump (more of a squeek) but I only really hear it if the windows are open. I cant say it's having an impact upon driving the car, it's just really annoying. Can anyone tell me what the problem could be?

I'm hoping for a cheap solution but then I am an eternal optimist!

A quick update on my clutch issue. Thanks to the advice I received from Chris I popped into Halfords on the way home from work and they wd40'd some ball joint and its all sorted free of charge. A big nod to Halfords torquay! Nice to find a garage that has the customer at heart and not the pound signs!

Loving the car again.

Got the same issue with my clutch. Squeaks each time I put my foot down to change. I was told to change the clutch and flywheel. Crazy price so I did not bother. I also do not have any problems changing gears, except it can sometimes judder pulling away in first after driving around in town. I would like mine done, and would appreciate which bit needed greasing. The link above from Chris seems to refer to another part, "the operating arm that drives into a so called cup to operate the clutch". Was it the same part? Your help will be greatly appreciated. The noise is driving me mad when I have the windows down!! Thanks.

Hi Prash. Chris' message referred to an operating arm which fed into a cup. I mentioned this to the guy in Halfords and he said he'd have a look. It's at the base of the engine so they needed to raise the car. It was easily accessibly from underneath, they sprayed it and squeek is gone. I hope this is the case for you. Ive read some expensive stories on here with new clutch and flywheel. I wouldnt rely entirely on lexus because I think they have a replace with new parts policy even if things can be fixed easily. Good luck. Let me know if you need any further help. Try contacting Halfords torquay if you need a technical answer. They had my car in today at about 5pm, cant rate them highly enough.

Hi Carl, spoke to your mechanic and learned that the problem is associated with a part near the slave cylinder. There is a rubber sleeve which needs to be pushed back before spraying lubricant. Spay only the end away from the clutch plate. Details are a little hazy as I have no way of going under the car to inspect and give any further information. He said that you can see the part move when the clutch pedal is pushed. The type of squeak depends on humidity, temperature etc. Took the car to the local mechanic, and he said that at the next service he will get it sorted. So for the time being it is not the clutch and the DMF. Saves me a fortune!! Thanks to all of you out there who keep us informed.

Guest Shah-Zeib Ahmed

Thanks for the repost Chris ;)

Had the identical issue and problem's greased and solved.

Drive safely,

Cheers.