Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Winter Tyres

Anyone got plans for winter tyres yet? I've no doubt that the third generation will be just as poor in the snow as the first two - I would like to fit the exact same size of winter tyre (18in) along with some other wheels - things is I've no idea what size rims that I would need to order for the F Sport.

An alternative is to have 16in. winter wheels and tyres supplied and stored by my local Lexus Centre for around £700 but I'm not too keen on the idea - I know looks aren't everything but they would detract greatly from the sporty styling of the car.

If the PCD is 114.3 (diameter of bolts holes) you should be able to get a set of IS250 alloys (assuming the offset is the usual 38-45). You can check yours with a mirror in good light - the size will be stamped on the backs of the spokes (something like 45h and the characters 8j or 8.5j if you have a staggered set up on the back of different spokes). The new GS's are all 18x8j 45 - knowing that I managed to get a set of GS Mk2 Sport alloys off eBay for £140. 2 could do with a refurb, so they'll go on one side of the car.

Last year I just got a local tyre place to swop tyres over, but I am really concerned about doing this as the tyre rig really "punches" the side wall in on extraction, and I am a bit worried about damage to the sidewall.

Lexus seems to be atrocious in Snow - worse than Mercs or BM's in my view (having had both and never having had winter tyres before - with the Lex it's a must).

For tyres I used www.mytyres.co.uk who were cheaper and excellent!!

• Like 2

I used winter tyres on my last GS to great effect. I used the original 17" wheels that the car came with to put the winter tyres on (still have them tucked away in the garage- will be going on e-bay soon) and bought a set of 18" Baransu alloys from Lexus to put my summer rubber on.

Worked out nicely, had the car 4 years and still had plenty of tread on all 8 tyres, but that's with doing 21,000 miles only!

On my new GS, my current dealership have offered to supply me with winter tyres and swap them over for me each winter/ spring. I know some people do that and it works out OK.

If I find some reasonably priced alloys, though, I may get some for my winters. The only thing is I have the F-sport so have 19" alloys which are staggered, so they are not going to be cheap!

Oh, and I agree about mytyres.co.uk - I've bought 3 sets of winter tyres off them in the past 5 years and they have a staggering selection available. They come swiftly from Germany- excellent service.

I think I have sourced the alloy wheels and winter tyres that I want - can anyone tell me if I can just put 19in. wheels on the F Sport as straight replacements or will some other settings have to be taken into account. I'm technically stupid :eerrrmm:

I think I have sourced the alloy wheels and winter tyres that I want - can anyone tell me if I can just put 19in. wheels on the F Sport as straight replacements or will some other settings have to be taken into account. I'm technically stupid :eerrrmm:

Alloy wheels need to be compatible with your car.

Firstly the need to fit your car's hubs. Then they need to have enough room within the arches so that they do not rub at any point. This not only involves the size of the alloys but their OFFSET as well. The offset is vaguely the amount the wheel sticks in or out in relation to the car's hub.

So you do need to take a few things into account. Also if you change the diameter of your wheels you will need to compensate the tyre size so that you get a similar rolling radius.

I assume your car is new, like mine. I certainly would not stray from Lexus' official technical specs for alloy wheels (you can prob go up or down a few sizes as they themselves have a range of sizes within a model range eg 17" to 19").

• Like 1

Wicksy - do a Google search. There are some calculators like http://www.etyres.co.uk/tyre-size-calculator which should help.

Thank you Jonas

I've been told that I can have the same size wheels/tyres all round for my winter set up rather than the normal "stepped" arrangement. I am ordering my alloys/tyres this week because they are sure to increase in price once we move into September/October.

On another note does anyone know which type of Bridgestone Turanza's we have on our F Sports? - I know that a new improved version was bought out a few months back so fingers crossed they are the ones that we have fitted as standard.

I currently have a Jaguar XF. In snow and ice, it handles like a hippo on an ice rink. So when I ordered my IS300H, I did a deal which included 3 yrs servicing and a set of winter tyres. Obviously when required they will be fitted to the standard alloys. I will use the Lexus dealer to do the swap, so if there are any problems, the responsibility will be clear.

• 3 weeks later...

. . . I'm expecting my wheels/tyres to arrive within the next week which I will fit in November - I will also be investing in a trolley jack and have been looking under the car for the front and rear jacking points but I haven't a clue where they are? Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

• 2 months later...

My new IS300h F-sport is booked in with my local Lexus dealer for a full set of Hankook winters on the standard alloys for next Friday (22/11). £700 inc vat, fitting and storage of the summer tyres. I'll let you know how I get on....

Hi Colin

Are those 18 inch alloys that are already on your car? - I was offered a deal from Lexus for around the same price as you but on 16in. wheels - I couldn't bear to come down to that so ordered some matt black 18in. alloys and Dunlop winter tyres from Rimstyle - they are going on this Saturday.

I don't think the F Sport alloys will bear very well once the winter salt is on the roads.

Hi David - yes the winters are being fitted to the F Sport alloys already on the car. I take your point about them standing up to the salt etc. but I'll take that chance at the moment I think and see how they go. Unfortunately the short term budget is only just able to cover the tyres.

Have just informed my insurer, Budget, that I have now got my winter wheels and tyres in place and they have charged me £30 for the privilege of making my chances of a claim this winter much more unlikely. No doubt come the springtime I will be charged once again for putting the originals back - I threatened to cancel the policy but that would have cost me £70 :angry:

Have just informed my insurer, Budget, that I have now got my winter wheels and tyres in place and they have charged me £30 for the privilege of making my chances of a claim this winter much more unlikely. No doubt come the springtime I will be charged once again for putting the originals back - I threatened to cancel the policy but that would have cost me £70 :angry:

Please name the insurer so that we may all avoid if we wish to.

Regards

John

Regards

John

Sorry, I`ve just read it again................."Budget"

Regards

John

Regards

John

Admiral charge too

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/84136-fitting-smaller-wheel-rims-and-your-insurance/

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Winter-tyres

This is the Association of British Insurers position: "Most motor insurers do not charge additional premiums for vehicles fitted with winter tyres, provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturers instructions." There's also a link on this page to a document listing which insurers don't need to be notified.

https://www.abi.org.uk/Insurance-and-savings/Products/Motor-insurance/Winter-tyres

This is the Association of British Insurers position: "Most motor insurers do not charge additional premiums for vehicles fitted with winter tyres, provided that the tyres are roadworthy and have been fitted in accordance with the manufacturers instructions." There's also a link on this page to a document listing which insurers don't need to be notified.

Agreed. Here is the link: https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

There is no need to inform the vast majority of insurers as long as you stick within manufacturers' specifications for winter tyres.

• Like 1

Regards

John

Admiral charge too

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/84136-fitting-smaller-wheel-rims-and-your-insurance/

Not according to ABI's own guide on the matter.

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

As long as you stick to manufacturers' recommendations regarding winter tyre specs, the vast majority of insurers do not even need to be informed of the fitment of winter tyres, and that includes Admiral.

Regards

John

Admiral charge too

Not according to ABI's own guide on the matter.

https://www.abi.org.uk/~/media/Files/Documents/Publications/Public/Migrated/Motor/ABI%20guide%20to%20winter%20tyres%20The%20motor%20insurance%20commitment.ashx

As long as you stick to manufacturers' recommendations regarding winter tyre specs, the vast majority of insurers do not even need to be informed of the fitment of winter tyres, and that includes Admiral.

My enquiry to Admiral was concerning fitting smaller rims along with winter tyres. The administration charge was to modify my policy to reflect the change to the factory fitted wheels

• Like 1

To be fair the £30 charge is an "administration fee" which in itself is ridiculous. No insurer should have to be informed at all if you are taking steps to make claiming less likely.