Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello everyone,

So it appears as though my main key for my is200 has been lost. I only have the spare left. Now my spare key cannot open the boot as it does not have the remote unlock button and for some reason the key does not rotate in the lock.

Is the circuitry in the spare key completely different to the main? So therefore I cannot get the shell for the main key that has the extra button for the boot and replace the spare key shell? Just thought that Id seen or read that somewhere.

Any advice Id be grateful.

Also I'm going to get my front wheel geometry altered by WIM this w.e. took my car to lexus and was told my new tyres have already had the inner tread chewed within a few months. Hope you all agree that this will fix the problem!

Cheers

Hi.

The spare key you have is known as a 'valet' key as it only does what you say. I don't know if it has the circuitry inside to operate the remote locking but I don't think so.

My understanding of it is you cannot programme another master key to the car without a working master key which you have lost. I don't really know what to suggest sorry apart from at least get a spare made of the valet key if that's possible. Not sure a valet key can even programme another valet key but I may well be wrong. Losing all keys to this car is a nightmare, you can't simply get a new key.

As for WIM, that's an excellent suggestion :)

They will cure your inside tyre wear problem. I suggest having a full alignment and geometry done on your car. It costs about £115 but is worth every penny. Your car will drive like new afterwards and the savings on tyres alone makes it worth it.

If you take the 2 button key apart, the contacts for the 3rd button are on the circuit board, all you need is one of these off the bay and a blank 3 button key.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3-PIECES-Toyota-Corolla-Lexus-2-3-Button-Rubber-Key-Pad-Replacement-Fob-Buttons-/221262196667?pt=UK_Car_Accessories_Safety_Security&hash=item3384412fbb

then just trim protective plastic from the 3rd button.

• Like 1

You can see there's a square marking on the transponder if you press and hold down see if its open then you can go ahead cut off the plastic and replace the new rubber key pad. get a replacement key made it might open the the boots look manually.

read some where that "grind" (no sure the right words :geek: ) the tip of the valet key making it thinner should do the trick as well the dash glove lock compartment . it's a big risk you might damaged your "only" key that's y u really need to get a spare key sorted first.

if you Google it. mostly you'll get the answer "you can't program a new key without the master key" unless you go to the dealer with a big wallet cash in hand.

Excellent choice going to WIM this w.e . :driving: you feel the difference when you get back you car.

Last month my key shattered and i phoned an auto locksmith who said there is an alternative which is he can chip the e.c.u. for about £200.However i was lucky ,ask lexus if they have an old fob as im sure theyll have one spare if so get this plus a 3 button key cut ,then do the PEDAL DANCE,and i bet it comes to nowhere near £200. GOOD LUCK MATE

P.S.Ian cheers mate ive just sent for one of those off eBay thanks mate.

Also is there a transponder piece in the valet keys as ive not got a key like that,if so if there are 2 keys in your car when you try to start it it wont until one has been removed.

Hope the following helps you if you by a new black key.

1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on the brake one time.

Note: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will be come on and start blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key. If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming
1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times.(Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door lock do not cycle (lock, unlock) by themselves then the car isn't in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remove. Press and hold Lock and Unlock button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the Lock button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT. The locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle TWICE it have failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn't receive a good signal from the remove. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing step 8 and 9. 2) Don't hold the remove buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying step 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10) Close and open door to end programming procedure.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the advice fellows! Valet key opened, boot lid button unshielded and guts transferred to new case. Key cut to match valet key and Bobs your uncle, all is fine again!

Total cost ..£30 including paying for key to be cut.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links