Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rx450H - Towbar Installation

HI

we are thinking of getting a caravan and need a towbar fitted to our rx450h..... I've heard that Lexus dealers are extortionate.....

So can anyone recommend a company that installs them in the Berkshire area.

Also can anyone give me a ballpark figure for the installation.

Many thanks

Peter Gadsby

We had one fitted to our first RX400h by the Lexus dealer in Bracknell when we lived in the Thames valley. I don't remember it being extortionate, although it was slightly more expensive than the back street boys that quoted. The dealer did a very good job and I have no complaints.

However when choosing the caravan be careful to look at the nose wheel weight. The standard tow bar as fitted to our 400h by the dealer had a max nose wheel weight of 80Kg ......... This was a the Westfalia one and it stated on the tow bar that 80KG was the max weight. Dual axle vans may well give a problem in that it is very difficult to get the nose wheel down to this level. I was fortunate in that we were in the process of changing our van at the time and with our new single axle van it was fairly easy to balance the van nose wheel down to 75-80 kg.

On the latest 400h that we have, again I had a tow bar fitted by the dealer here in Ipswich and again the max nose wheel weight is 80Kg.

Happy towing .............. Pete

Thanks Pete we will get a quote from Lexus and see what they say.... BTW - I think the Lexus dealer has gone from Bracknell now .....

- Pete

Lexus quoted me £520.00 for a detachable towbar for my IS250. But I'm having to look for a bigger car with with the MPG figures that I'm looking at I might be moving away from Lexus.

I was quoted £400 for a basic non-detachable for my 400h and about £600 for the detachable, from a company in West Sussex. Would be worth the trip if they can do one for you?

They were called something simple like 'West Sussex Towbars'...

I was quoted in excess of £1300
Do not go for a cheap alternative........there isn't one that does the job properly. The wiring is real problem with cables going right back to the computer in the front end.

If you have a Lexus warranty, get a written statement that a non Lexus bar is covered.....I couldn't.

Also, if you have air suspension, only one bar fits from third parties and that worked out to be nearly as expensive as the official Lexus one.

If you do go for a Lexus fit, Guildford are excellent and have done this fit before...so they know what the problems are.

Remember, when you sell the car, a bar will be a real negative on a luxury car and whatever you pay for it goes when the car goes.

I calculated that a dedicated but older tow car would be a better bet and it gave the advantage of a second car.

It is a problem area but Colin Searle will tell you the truth.