Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Servicing Costs

I'm lucky at the fact mine is a company car, but my last Volvo because of the new EU rules, I simply phoned the Lease company and arranged a service. The first 30,000 miles they kept taking it to Nationwide Autocentres (Halfords as is now I think) and while they seemed OK the car started to have little niggles. In the end it took the main dealer to sort and the first thing they did was list all the things Nationwide had not done in the first 30,000 miles.

While not my problem as it wasn't my car it does highlight the chance you take not going to the main dealer, however much of a rip-off it would appear to be. I now insist on maindealer service when I book any work on my car. Bolton Lexus are having their first go next week.

if they actually did anything technical on the service that would be a good reason to go main dealer but the fact is they really are only changing fluids.

The 10k service for £245 gives you an oil and filter change and an air con filter change. They have a look at the discs/pads, tyres, lights and wiper blades and fill up your washer fluid. A quick check to make sure they won't get sued because the floor mats are in the wrong place and a £5 car wash.

I always find it funny when people state their car is running better after a service.

• Like 1

Sound advice Colin, but I suspect that some smaller operators could be nervous of taking on a Lexus hybrid, even for just changing fluids! There must be some technical bits required to check engine and transmission settings.

Hope someone with non dealer experience other than BB will add to the debate before I go off getting costs from the local guys and decide whether the service plan is the best route.

The first 30,000 miles they kept taking it to Nationwide Autocentres (Halfords as is now I think) and while they seemed OK the car started to have little niggles. In the end it took the main dealer to sort and the first thing they did was list all the things Nationwide had not done in the first 30,000 miles.

Does that really surprise you? Most national networks\franchises are staffed by 9 to 5'ers who are under pressure to reach targets and just get the jobs through the door. Is that really the sort of person you want working on your car? I also had a bad experience with Nationwide Autocentres when I had a company car and our lease company moved away from using main dealers.

It's better if you can to strike up a relationship with a local garage who actually takes an interest in what their doing and you never know may be interested in servicing a hybrid.

I myself absolutely hate using garages so do nearly all work on my cars myself, but obviously that's not an option with a new car if i want to maintain the warranty.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a letter to Lexus may be in order soon, of all the brands I have owned, these are by far the most expensive I have ever seen, and I can’t see how they can justify them, I really can’t, what is done differently to any other brand?.

I think a letter to Lexus may be in order soon, of all the brands I have owned, these are by far the most expensive I have ever seen, and I can’t see how they can justify them, I really can’t, what is done differently to any other brand?.

Nothing different, and this seems to be a recent change. Prices had gone up throughout the dealer network and nobody seems to be discounting from the set prices (set by Toyota GB?), well certainly not discounting when just enquiring.

• 1 month later...

Just received a quote from Lexus Edinburgh for three yearly services, two intermediate and one full all for the princely sum of £1001, ouch. I also ask them to include the extra two years warranty in the hope of a bit of discount seeing as I was taking the two plans. £795 for the extended warranty. Total price £1796, but I've not yet checked if they will honour the LOC discount. Oh well, that's the Smarties and Mars Bars screwed for Christmas..