Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

On the way back from Cornwall after a good odd 800 miles of trouble free wonderful motoring. We were travelling along the A38 in Devon last night, there was this horrible grating rubbing sound coming from under the front end of the car. Stopped in laybye in the pouring rain. Had a look at what I thought was a heat shield or something. Long story cut short, I limped to Exeter services, called the RAC. A very nice patrolman turned up and said it was the sump guard. By then it was in tatters. He said I had a very narrow escape. He took what was left of it off and advised me to ,get it replaced. Which I am in the process of doing. We did the last 200 miles of the journey trouble free on an empty M5, and M6. what pure driving pleasure that was. Has anyone else had problems with sump guards before and are they worth replacing and are they dear to replace. Thanks.

News to me that the LS400 has a sump guard?

The only part that is normally fitted is the black plastic engine undertray which often gets damaged and breaks up.

Unless someone fitted an after market guard I don't know what to suggest regarding a replacement.

I think the RAC man just called it that. Could have been just that an under tray. It was just like Steve says, it just broke up, ware and tare. It was standard kit. Big question, Do I replace it, or just leave it. I asked the local garage, and he said its the speed humps I have to watch, as its something to do with the car going up and down and could damage the lower sump. As for close call, that is an understatement. If it had broken up and got into the fan belt and etc very messy. As for hitting a special Brew can, That would not have been a problem, only for the can.

The engine compartment as a plastic protection that covers everything except the sump bottom the reason being is direct air flow to the sump from underneath the car helps to cool the oil in the sump.

The Racman as identified the problem as a generic to all cars but it is not reffered to as a sump guard but a engine compartment lower protection .The forward fasteners under the front bumper can corrode and sometimes snap when turned so it is possible you did not have all of them in place anyway.If enough downward air pressure gets in there it will force the front edge of the protecter on to the road surface and if that then catches a grid edge or pothole lip it will tear out other side fastenings and double back on itself.that is what happened and your awful noise was the plastic dragging along the road surface.

Look on eBay for a breaker as they are quite expensive new about £350 .Make sure you get one that fits your Mark and year as they differ in fitment on later models.It is an important peice of kit as it stops road debris and foreign matter getting up into the engine and also keeps the engine bay clean.

On all 3 of my Lexii the plastic tray has " vanished ", twice before I had the cars and once it just fell apart as I parked the car one day.......... and never been replaced .......... no harm has ever occasioned.

Malc

Thanks for all the advice. My garage is looking for a 2nd hand one. I do not want to pay alot out, like anyone else, but knowing my luck something will happen. So will get it sorted. Thanks again.

I only sold a couple a month or so ago, not the easiest things to wrap up.

Biggest problem is car parks where the front of the car is up to a kerb, if you happen to catch it that usually rips either the fixings out or rips it.From then on aerodynamics take over as Ambermarine says.

This is what you need.

post-12144-0-12728800-1376943727_thumb.j

I would replace it. As well as the aerodynamic improvements, it will reduce noise from the engine (noticeable when you're idling). It'll also stop rainwater splashing up from the bottom of the car and coating the underside (ordinarily, engine heat removes any water that's got in through the front, but that's a lot less water than you'll get without the cover).

I need the foremost piece of plastic for my LS, the one that goes under the lights and radiator, as it's been broken by a previous owner. Anyone got one they don't need?

I think I saw them quite inexpensive somewhere recently BUT they are very prone and the next kerb you touch when parking, well, you know what I'm saying !!!! :whistling:

Malc

• 7 years later...

Thread from the dead!

Would anyone happen to have a couple of the fixings for the under tray spare?

Marked here on Steve's pic.

Inkedpost-12144-0-12728800-1376943727_thumb.thumb.jpg.32f2123c16ff62880d2b7f341346e177.jpg

I believe the ones I need are bolts like at the back rather than the screws at the front.

If not, would anyone have a part number or size? The parts catalogues are a little confusing.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links