Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Potential New Owner: Things To Look For

Hi

I'm the proud owner of a supercharged lotus elise but am about to get something else which is a bit more practical as I'm doing more miles for work these days, some of which are on busy motorways, so the automatic box in an ISF appeals. (As does the V8....)

An ISF is a possibility as it is not an M3 / RS4 / AMG but is interesting enough to get me out of the lotus (which I'm keeping as it's also my track day toy, Off to Brands GP tomorrow as it happens...)

Here's me at Silverstone Stowe (a little track inside the GP track)

and here's me at Spa (no introduction needed)

Anyway, I just wanted to say hello and also to ask if there was anything in particular I should look out for on a 2nd hand ISF. I'm aware of the LSD change around 2010 although as it wont be a track car I'm not sure it'll make any difference to me to be honest. I'd probably buy from a main dealer for peace of mind and there are a few around, including a blue on in London which looks very nice. Not sure about the white leather as we have a toddler who no doubt will do his best to throw stuff around the back.

Anyone near North Kent who would care to meet up for a chat?

Thanks

Dave

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Dave

Wise choice! Unlike the BMW/Merc etc there is not much that goes wrong with the ISF.

Similar to you I had a supercharged MX5 that I tracked. I wouldn't worry about getting one with the LSD, unless you track day it you won't have any benefit.

Check that the Multimedia unit all works ok, that's probably the only thing to go wrong. Most UK ones are all standard the modding seems non existent here; which is a good thing as the ISF is right out of the factory and the ECU can't be modified. (Although I do have a modified intake just to make that V8 sound a bit deeper, no increase in performance)

Post some pics if you get one. We ISF owners very rarely get to see another one :)

Great, thanks. I got the idea of an ISF the other day as I passed one on the motorway in the elise and we waived at each other in that 'I know your car is fast' kind of way.

I dont think he had ear plugs in, which I did mind!

Can you tell me a bit about the multimedia? I read on here that early models didnt have ipod connection or line in? Can I connect a smartphone via Bluetooth and stream music for example, something which I was amazed a rented Citroen C4 coud do very well the other day.

Has the sat nav been updated at all, things like full postcode entry and traffic information? Is that retro fittable or cars of a certain age?

All things the dealer should know (hey, but who trusts what a dealer tells them!)

Generally do people take the extended warranty? Like all insurance its a good idea if you end up needing it of course...

Intersting yours is a 2008 by the looks of it. What's changed over the years? I've spotted the blue bottom to the steering wheel and of course the LSD. Feel free to point me to another site if that's easier.

Ta, and thanks again

Dave

Well done for passing one on the motorway! I've never seen another one yet.

The early models just had an auxiliary-in line inside the central armrest. But as mine I have the optional iPod kit in the glove box. With this it charges and you can use the controls on the steering wheel to change tracks etc. Not sure if the newer models can stream music or use full postcode. Traffic information has always been standard.

Don't trust the dealers on the ISF, most have never seen one. Each dealer was only allocated two to sell. Mine put the alloys on the wrong way round (each blade type alloy is printed with the correct position it has to go on the car).

I think as the oldest are only 5 years most will still have the extended warranty, though i'm not going to renew mine next time and just put the same money in a savings account. If I don't use it, quids in, if I do got some cash to put towards it. Mines done 60k miles now and runs like new, only had brakes and tyres changed.

The 60k service is quite expensive (About £600) as they change the 8 spark plugs. Other than that the same as any IS. My insurance was only £380 but had to have a Tracker fitted.

Updates over the years include the LSD, blue steering wheel logo, blue paint & white seats, sport button on steering wheel, LED side lights (but adaptive beams were deleted), different alloys, softer suspension and slightly darker dash colour.

Now they have stopped coming into the UK they will only get more rare. (Just over 200 at last count).

Steve

Hi Dave - I have a late 2009 ISF with the blue insert in the steering wheel and slightly refreshed dash and it does stream music via Bluetooth on my Iphone faultlessly, albeit you get more ability to search tracks etc if you plug it in via the socket under the armrest. Hands free phone works well via Bluetooth also.

I've got a Vauxhall VX220 as a second car which is a kind of sibling to the lotus Elise and I had before the lexus. I still love the Vx but it has to be said even in the summer with the choice of both for most journeys it's the Lexus keys I reach for.

I've had mine for about a year and 15,000 miles, not felt the need for a warranty and touch wood the car has been absolutely flawless so far. It's also a great fun car for everyday use - I much prefer it to the Cayman S I had previously (which was thirstier, less powerful and not very reliable).

--

Edited to add: you can enter full UK postcodes on the Nav in mine, seems to work well. Routes around traffic jams too.

Thanks for the info folks.

I'm due to test drive one over the weekend, although oddly the stealer has asked me to cover the cost of getting the car from another one of their showrooms albeit refundable. Hardly a great start to the relationship but I guess it filters out the hooligans who just want to floor a 400bhp car.

Assuming I like it, and I suspect that's very likely, I need to give some thought to the age as the £31k blue one at Lexus Edgware Road (only 9k miles) will depreciate another ten grand in the next 2 the 3 years by the looks of it, which I could avoid if I got a slightly older one. And what to offer, as my guess is there are not very many people on the look out for ISFs so that has to give me some sort of advantage when it comes to the price. I'm useless at barganing though.

As we've already said I dont mind re LSD or not. myelise which is faster to 60 than the ISF doesnt have one and its not a problem even on track. I wont track an ISF. Well, maybe just the once to see what it's like!

Anyway, I shall have a prod about over the weekend and let you know what I conclude.

Dave

Do you know how long the dealer has had it; that will affect how much influence you have. Also how many others of a similar vintage are available in the network? I had tracked cars and prices for many months before visiting the dealer so was able to take another couple of thousand off a car that had already dropped £3k the previous week. I found the 4 dealers I visited knew who else had them and signalled that they would compete hard with each other.

My view is that whatever vintage you get, the depreciation will be steep. That's why I plan to keep mine 5 years plus. The logic, that may not stand up to real scrutiny, is that it will be less of a hit per year if I keep it longer.

But everytime I drive it, any thoughts of the running costs drift away.

Have fun

PS..

If you turn up with the script that says "I'm useless at bargaining" the salesman will smell it a mile off, and you will get bent over when comes to making a deal. Scare them by walking away or with long periods of silence. It is a buyers market for ISFs at dealers and has been for the last 3 years.

Good hunting

wise advice, ta. Esp the don't get shafted bit.i need to see one up close, then if i like we can get down to the numbers. Am keen so as to get that far, then agree its time to play cool. I suspect making an offer on the run up to Xmas would be a good time. I'm in no rush...

am keen

PX prices offered on the ISF are really low at the moment. Dealers will buy at about £15k for a 2008 + £2k for each year after.

At least that's more than the robbers at webuyanycar

update (again from phone so sorry for poor layout). Saw a private 2008 with 40k today, uograded stereo but no sunroof. 21k wanted. Very tidy motor, spotless inside and out. Few stone chips but otherwise good. I good too. No curbing. Owner also had 13plate c63amg on drive which is new company car, hence selling isf. Its one hell of a car for the money. Id been expecting to buy something newer, but am tempted by the good reputation for reliability....

Hmm, I bought my 59 plate (29,000 mls) from a Lexus dealer (last week) for a few grand more. Is that the going rate for a private sale?Unfortunately/fortunately there are not many to choose from.

thanks folks, naturally the price is open for negotiations. its tax and mot run out this month but FLSH is up to date with a recent 'more expensive' service just done. Tax is £440 as you well know.

Here's what available on autotrader at the moment:-

year reg colour miles £ seller
2011 11 slate 3660 35000 lexus twickwnham
2011 11 slate 8243 33975 lexus derby
2011 11 white 11425 32995 lexus glasgow
2011 60 blue 8736 30995 lexus edgware
2011 11 black 27000 30000 wokingham car centre
2008 58 silver 43500 21995 targa florida cars
2008 58 white 50000 20995 parkway birmingham
2008 58 grey 51000 20995 shamrock motors
2008 58 black 39000 20995 private

The one I saw today, which I only saw as it was the closest isf to me, being the last one.

There's a huge gap between 2008 and 2011 cars and the chap above with the 59 main stealer did well.

Im in no rush to buy so we shall see. Oh, four new tyres and new front discs and pads on the private one.

Parkers says £16,735 for a 50,000 mileage good one. This is lower mileage and id say excellent. So it's overpriced, but you'd expect that.

Oh, what to do!

Dave

I had a discussion with the dealer about ISF prices when I bought mine. He said new ISF's sell for around £44k. As a result some have been pre registered to reduce the price. He said the residual values may take a hit for nearly ones, but older ones still hold their value, relatively speaking. Looking at the prices above they seem to be ok.

I'm pretty sure the dealers have a decent margin on the cars on offer. And anyone selling privately expects less than they advert says. Imo anyway. Going to be a fun few weeks ahead. Mind you, had a lovely drive home in my lotus with the roof off and had some fun with a Aston martin over some roundabouts.

The problem in getting an older one is simply the lack of cars. Unfortunately mine was written off last week, and whilst I've been given a really fair price for it, I can't actually go and get a similar car, because there isn't any, 2008 with 79K to buy. Closest was a 2009 with 70K at Stratstone at £19,700.

The value on parkers and such sites is pretty low given the cars that are out there, with early cars anyway.

The problem in getting an older one is simply the lack of cars. Unfortunately mine was written off last week, and whilst I've been given a really fair price for it, I can't actually go and get a similar car, because there isn't any, 2008 with 79K to buy. Closest was a 2009 with 70K at Stratstone at £19,700.

The value on parkers and such sites is pretty low given the cars that are out there, with early cars anyway.

Oh No!

How was it written off? Is everyone ok?

That's another one off the road. Getting even rarer.

I'm ok thankfully, came off a very greasy road and hit a tree. Luckily Just me and the car, as i'd just dropped My wife and 5 year old daughter at home, before popping back out for some milk. We had just done 2800miles round Europe in it without incident only to crash a mile from home! Gutted.

Mr W, that's bad luck but it's only a car and as long as you're ok that is all that matters.

Expensive bottle of milk.

Will you get another one? As a matter of interest, how much tread was on the tyres and have you done any driver training courses so that you have at least experienced what it's like when it all goes wrong?

Tyres were fresh, replaced a few months ago.

Its a great car, but not sure I will have another. Not for any other reason than I'd like to try something else. It was a fantastic car, and probably the cheapest of this type to keep running. I do 20K a year as I use it for work, but my wife's 630i has similar bills and nowhere near the performance.

I would whole heartedly recommend one. They are great luxury family transport, with hot rod performance thrown in.

ouch. If you haven't done driver training, give it a go. Www.carlimits.co.uk (or maybe .com) is excellent. Rubbish website but if you want to know what its like to spin on a road but not hit anything, its great. Big airfield, drive at 80 then turn 90' left. You'll spin. By end of day you wont. Its all about feeling the car so you may just may avoid the inevitable panic that happens in real life.

great fun too. All in your own car. Andy Walsh races elises and was, many moonw ago, a test driver for benetton when Schumacher was there.