Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My First Lexus (Rx400H Se)

Hi All,

last week i bought our first lexus (RX400h SE,57 plate, 49k miles)

my opinions: for any future newbies to Lexus

I walked into the lexus dealership on Thursday as the car images had not been posted. Think it only came in a couple of days before. what impressed me was that there was no hard sell like many other dealerships.

He gave the car i was driving that day a once over and I arranged the next day to bring the wife to see the RX and he
could give the once over on my other trade in.

Change of plan with kids being ill so I went on Friday morning. He said dont worry and ill bring the RX to you.

that afternoon he came over wife liked the car, we both did the test drive. Sat down did the numbers/ haggle and did the deal.

i felt that this has been the best experience with a dealership by far. They literally wanted to do as much for me as they could.

I felt that they were not just selling me the car but the brand and the ethos.

Ok I could have got a better deal by a grand or more from a dealership further away but it would be hassle and i liked what i just drove.

Why cant all dealerships be like this: genuine, honest and no hard selling, no sales tackticks nothing.

He knew i could walk at any time even after coming to my house and having the laptop open with similar spec from another lexus dealer being a grand cheaper.

hence why i say honest as he said they may not be the cheapest and its really up to you.

we have done all this footwork and we talked a little more so he rang his boss and we got another £500 off.

I know I pay more from dealsreships with all my cars but its worth it and this guy tops them all. hope they are all like that.

will be picking up on Saturday 24th.

thought id comment on my experience rather than just jumping into asking q's.

i genuinly think now that Lexus is the benchmark for me.

Before I sign on the dotted line for handover I will be giving it the once over again and thought ask a few questions to get some better knowledge.

1. I came accross the spec sheet from 2007 and see that there is so little difference between the SE i have bought and SE-L.

its been listed as the SE model yet it has the satnav/rear parking and the Mark Levinson unit.

it does not have the rear screens in headrest or drop screen from roof which I dont need anyway.

so I was thinking that this had some additional optional extras, if anyone can confirm.

2. also we did the deal last week but were trying to get the car the weekend just gone but couldnt as they are having all the alloys refurbed.

when he brought it round for the test drive couldnt really see any faults with it as its a used car.

is this normal? am i missing something here? Do lexus refurb all the alloys on used cars? should i check for anything?

3. Additionally I have searched posts and other forums regards the baby car seat protrectors and looks like the prince lionheart brand comes up tops and should help protect the leather. Any other recommendations? or advice

i cannot wait to get behind the wheel, i know i could have got a newer motor from another brand for the same price. but what i want now, this ticks all the boxes. my wife will be the main driver and ill be a weeknd driver. my two daughters (3 & 1) will be easier to get in and out the car seats due to height etc..

sounds a bit sad to say this but first time I think ive actually bought a Brand than just another car if that makes sence.

Hi mate, there's not much to look for really, alloys are a problem so good that they are doing them, second, I would check the roof rails underneath the curve bit where it fits to roof as these corrode too, now getting mine powdercoated so check them and if corroded ask for them to be done. I got a rubber rear boot liner and rear bumper protector thrown in when I bought mine as well. Oh on the alloys check that they have done the spare as well as that sits underneath the rear and will probably be the worst one.

• Like 1

1 - yes it sounds like you have an SE with the multimedia option (Nav and ML stereo).

2 - to qualify as an approved used Lexus vehicle there really shouldn't be any corrosion on the wheels so they do tend to get them all refurbished.

• Like 1

You'll not be sorry - truly lovely car.

May I ask how much you paid?

Here is the breakdown.

lexus twick list price: £18,000

got them down to £16,700

traded in my 2 old mondeos for £2200.00

£14,500

I know i could have got cheaper had similar spec year in reading/croydon for about £800 less.

also the main factor here was that one of my mondeo's road tax and MOT runs out end of this month (04 plate). both insurance policies runs out this friday. the other mondeo (07 plate) road tax runs out next month.

the 04 plate has really been sitting on my drive and used on fridays to go get a pizza the last year since we moved.

the 07 is the main used car bar the wife and me on weekends as we are always out as a family. we only need one car and just felt this was a good time to do the swap before i have to pay out on all the bits for very little return.

also time is a factor to get both cars to another dealership to get checked over for P/X.

Twickenham is local down the road and i wanted to also establish a relationship for my MOT's/ services etc.

so for £14,500 inc years warranty its not to bad. (also he said its had the full 60k service done last month)

04 plate (44k miles) was worth nothing

07 plate (47k miles) many dealerships wer not offer a lot on this even if parkers where saying its worth more.

As this was a fast quick deal ahead of road tax/ mot deadline/ insurance deadlines it made sence to bite the bullet and swallow up a bit of a loss on my cars. Also time is a factor, as i dont want to be running around when i took time of to spend with my wife and daughters which was more important.

A friend of a family is coming to look at the 07 tonight and may offer about £500 more and so I could save more but its all 50/50.

I think generally that the car for us has been a mode of transport and with two kids (1 yr old + 3 yr old) buying new or spending more would be not worth it as car will be a mess in the back weekly.

for me it was going up the ladder and didnt really want MB or BMW as they are more common, less reliable and more expencive in maintance. Lexus ticks all the boxes.

wife loves it, i love it. keep this for a few years and upgrade to 450h. also we only do about 5k miles a year.

I think many people will be in a similar position or understand that its to get the best you can for the money within the timeframe.

just to add, yes i know i had mondeo's.

The 07 we bought when we had a our first as needed a family car.

i bought the other as needed a cheap run around.

The 07 has been very reliable and been very good with large boot. with 2 kids we wanted something a little bigger and higher up.

i could have thrown another £10k and got a newer model but if i get a few years out of this whilst my girls get a bit older it would be better. then i may just buy new or as nearly new.

I do really like the hybrid as for the local running around the mpg is fantastic for the large car.

Its nice to be different.

anything else you guys think i should try and haggle on the day of hand over?

it already has car mats, so would be hard to haggle another set unless they were in bad condition, even then i think they would swap them out. and they have refurbished the wheels.

cant remember if there was a bumper protector so will check and try and get that of him.

thanks all

I couldn't agree more Jon.

When I purchased my RX400 I was able to, (and I use the term loosely) 'trade in' my Peugeot 406 diesel estate.

This suited me because the tax and MOT were due to expire. The engine had 170,000 on the clock and was smoking a fair bit. Nobody would've bought it, and had I not traded it I probably would've had to pay someone to tow it away.

hi all, due to having to rush, no real time to negotiate even for extra mats. oh well.

anyway pics of it attached.

wheels came up looking brand spanking new. did all checks as everyone recommended.

its a dream to drive.

need to update the sat nav to open up the ability to apply changes whilst driving.

6 disc changer with ML system does sound nice.

post-47934-0-58228700-1377545859_thumb.j

post-47934-0-38962000-1377545870_thumb.j

post-47934-0-96363300-1377545876_thumb.j

Thanks for posting. I like the colour.

The refurbished wheels look fantastic too. I must look into getting mine done because they seem to disintegrate a little more with every clean.

Glad to hear you like it looks great and love the colour

I've had my RX350 a month now and what can I say just so relaxed when driving never felt like that driving a car since my Audi a4

There is another thread about satnav two options are eBay from Germany for the uk disc or as I did used a backup service and only cost under 40 quid Pm me if you want more info

it worked for me

Glad to hear you like it looks great and love the colour

I've had my RX350 a month now and what can I say just so relaxed when driving never felt like that driving a car since my Audi a4

There is another thread about satnav two options are ebay from Germany for the uk disc or as I did used a backup service and only cost under 40 quid Pm me if you want more info

it worked for me

hi sparky, already on the other thread re sat nav. ill pm you to find out more

one wheel has some scuffing... wife!

anyway as shes always out and about with kids. she brought to my attention that my 3 year old struggles to get in the car on her own. which i did test yesterday taking both my girls out yesterday. whilst sorting my one year old in the pram my 3 year old struggled.

this had made me think. when i had my old regular car my 3 year old could easily climb in.

option a is to just go to the door where the baby seat is and pick the 3 year old up and so she gets across the back

option b is to fit the running boards.

as the rx400 does not need to have additional holes drilled i can have them fitted and then remove but as ill have the car for a few years it will come in handy for when my one year old is a bit bigger.

also will help the monster-in law.

i know many many forum members dislike them, but im after simple plain black but all i can find is the £175 jobby at 4x4

http://www.direct4x4.co.uk/lexus-rx400h-2005-2009-ocean-aluminium-running-boards

had a look at a few pics and they dont look to bad. also i hear many who have had them fitted in general say it stops muppets slamming their doors and denting theirs.

anyone done the same just to solve a small problem of kids? i know kids can easily climb in after a certain age, but for the sake of a few hundred quid it solves one thing and then gives a little protection against other doors.

whats your thoughts?

thanks all

Also another question.

do the seat buttons light up as mine don't. (the seat buttons to choose 1 and 2)

was a pain when i got in last night and trying to adjust to my setting couldn't see so had to open the door.

also on the right hand section the bottom to power fold the mirrors does not light up either so opening up again had to open door.

small niggles but would be good to get your advice and know if there is an issue/ fault or its just as is.

thanks

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links