Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adaptive Variable Suspension - Standard With Nav On F Sport

Thanks or the update….I'm one of those (possibly in the minority) who felt that the F Sport ride was a bit hard (not just firm). I felt that the car jittered around over bumpy roads a little too much - more than to my liking.

This is what I found with the F30 BMW with Adaptive M sport suspension. In Eco Pro it was just that - very comfortable - so I'm glad the F Sport improves with it too - it's what I would expect.

Thanks Alexch1974, I went for AVS guessing that it would give more comfort as the Bmw system does. So I am waiting until the end of Jan as it's a factory option as you said. On my BMW variable suspension I can select sport suspension with normal gearbox settings. Is this type of option possible with Lexus AVS? Eg can you have normal suspension in S mode?

I believe so. First turn on the selector takes you from normal to sport, turn again takes you to sport+.

I test drove a GS450h (yummy but too big for me) with AVS and must confess I didn't really notice any difference but I wasn't pushing it.

Personally I don't think I'd get VFM as I rarely have the opportunity to push the car hard anyway and find the ride great as it is. Mind you, if it was a choice of one with and one without, and both were immediately available I probably go for it anyway. Wouldn't warrant a special order though for me.

Thanks Alexch1974, I went for AVS guessing that it would give more comfort as the Bmw system does. So I am waiting until the end of Jan as it's a factory option as you said. On my BMW variable suspension I can select sport suspension with normal gearbox settings. Is this type of option possible with Lexus AVS? Eg can you have normal suspension in S mode?

Hi Si

Whilst the AVS is constantly adapting to the road conditions, there are only two main options insofar at the suspension is concerned which is either 'Normal' or 'Sports S+'

You have 'normal' suspension for Eco, Normal & Sports mode. The extra Sports S+ mode (which is only available in AVS equipped models) is the only one which changes the suspensions settings to sport suspension mode. So you can actually keep in it standard Sports mode and yet keep the 'normal' suspension settings for comfort. Having said that, Sport S+ mode is hardly what I call firm anyway!

The only thing you can't have is Sports S+ suspension but with the standard/normal gearbox settings.

This sounds a bit confusing but but let me know if you need any more information.

• 3 months later...

Hi Si

Whilst the AVS is constantly adapting to the road conditions, there are only two main options insofar at the suspension is concerned which is either 'Normal' or 'Sports S+'

You have 'normal' suspension for Eco, Normal & Sports mode. The extra Sports S+ mode (which is only available in AVS equipped models) is the only one which changes the suspensions settings to sport suspension mode. So you can actually keep in it standard Sports mode and yet keep the 'normal' suspension settings for comfort. Having said that, Sport S+ mode is hardly what I call firm anyway!

The only thing you can't have is Sports S+ suspension but with the standard/normal gearbox settings.

This sounds a bit confusing but but let me know if you need any more information.

Alex - now you've had your car a few months, how are you finding the AVS suspension? Is it worth the extra? I was one of those who has tested a F-Sport with std suspension and thought it was a bit firm, but not jarring, still very well damped. I had the tyre pressures brought down a bit which helped, but as I spend most of my time on motorway's, I'd appreciate a smoother ride overall, with the ability to "dial it up" if the mood takes me. The Lux model I tried was very good on the motorway, its bigger tyre sidewalls and non-sports suspension, soaking up any little imperfection. However, I do much prefer the style, and interior of the F-Sport. About to place an order and wondering if this could get me the best of both worlds.

Judging by your last sentence I think you may be answering your own question. If financially its doable, I would go for it. You'll forever be wondering what if,,, if you don't. That's my opinion anyway.

Unsurprisingly 35 section tyres struggle with the disgraceful state of our Britsh roads, at least the chancellor's getting less of my tax money to fritter away on anything but repairing them properly. In the meantime I can't get over how AVS just deals with this conundrum, it's amazing. Not sure I can actually tell any difference between sport and sport+ mind, although the steering feels a bit meatier, 'gearbox' change points the same as far as I can see. Gonna have to have some serious fun benchmarking the difference.

Hi Si

Alex - now you've had your car a few months, how are you finding the AVS suspension? Is it worth the extra? I was one of those who has tested a F-Sport with std suspension and thought it was a bit firm, but not jarring, still very well damped. I had the tyre pressures brought down a bit which helped, but as I spend most of my time on motorway's, I'd appreciate a smoother ride overall, with the ability to "dial it up" if the mood takes me. The Lux model I tried was very good on the motorway, its bigger tyre sidewalls and non-sports suspension, soaking up any little imperfection. However, I do much prefer the style, and interior of the F-Sport. About to place an order and wondering if this could get me the best of both worlds.

Hi Steve44

Having had the car now for a few months I can definitely say, that if your budget allows then, the AVS is definitely worth the investment. It makes an appreciable difference to the ride quality and therefore even in sport mode, its still extremely comfortable.

After getting held up in some traffic last week making me extremely late, I plotted a cross country course to my destination, placed into Sports + mode and put my foot down. It the first time I have driven that hard across difficult terrain and yet the faster I went, the better it seemed to get!

Yet at no stage did it feel that the ride was too hard. In fact if anything, it just got better and had great poise and comfort all rolled into one.

It's one of the things I am very pleased that I was sensible enough to wait for and I feel the extra money is worth it. Whilst this is very subjective, I drive lots of different cars and can say that they have done a very good job of tuning the adaptive suspension for both handling and comfort.

So in answer to your question, the F-Sport with the AVS really does give you the best of both worlds in my opinion.

Go for it!

A

• 2 years later...
51 minutes ago, RichyRich said:

I know this is a old post but wonder if anyone has asked if AVS can be fitted after it's arrived in the UK? 

It can't.  Generally you can't fit anything on to these apart from things like DVDs and cosmetics 

32 minutes ago, rayaans said:

That is a shame but I think I think the standard sport suspension in the F-Sport should be fine for most conditions.   I am now looking at the NX for the wife!!  maybe in a year or two or when the used prices come down below £15k!

That is a shame but I think I think the standard sport suspension in the F-Sport should be fine for most conditions.   I am now looking at the NX for the wife!!  maybe in a year or two or when the used prices come down below £15k!

Good swap, but the wife will probably be cheaper to run. 😀

• Like 1

If you really want fancy 'adaptive' damping try the bilstein B16 kit.  You should be able to source the kit for under £2k add about £500 to install,  your have to tell your insurance company but I've heard nothing but praise for this kit. 

http://www.bilstein.de/en-uk/products/sport-and-threaded-ride-high-adjustable-kits/bilstein-b16-damptronicreg/

But if you want the best suspension kit I don't think you can beat Ohlins road and track. Ive not seen a single bad review about it,  but its nof cheap,  about £3k before fitting,  still if your after the very best in road going suspension it'll be in a different league from anything Lexus supplies stock. 

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=788638

http://www.roadandtrackbyohlins.com/#26

• 1 month later...

I've been hunting for an F-Sport with AVS for a test drive, sadly not even the official dealers seem to be certain whether a car has AVS or not. Can I identify a car with AVS from pictures? 

I've been hunting for an F-Sport with AVS for a test drive, sadly not even the official dealers seem to be certain whether a car has AVS or not. Can I identify a car with AVS from pictures? 

Not from the outside. If there is a pic of the interior and you can see the rotary dial on the centre console, AVS cars have a Sport+ setting. Pretty poor if the dealers don't know that!

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

This is not an official Lexus dealer, it's a lease company which also sells the old leased cars, so I don't know how knowledgeable they are. I can see the interior of the car and it has the "Sport +" mode. Since Alexch1974 wrote only AVS fitted cars have Sport +, I mailed the company whether the car has AVS since it has Sport+. I got an answer that they can't say with certainty since they believe Sport + is standard with every F-sport. Strange answer I think. Surely they can check somewhere what exact options the car has? Can I see it somewhere ("AVS engaged captain!" when I select Sport + for example) when I take a test drive?

This is not an official Lexus dealer, it's a lease company which also sells the old leased cars, so I don't know how knowledgeable they are. I can see the interior of the car and it has the "Sport +" mode. Since Alexch1974 wrote only AVS fitted cars have Sport +, I mailed the company whether the car has AVS since it has Sport+. I got an answer that they can't say with certainty since they believe Sport + is standard with every F-sport. Strange answer I think. Surely they can check somewhere what exact options the car has? Can I see it somewhere ("AVS engaged captain!" when I select Sport + for example) when I take a test drive?

Not all F Sports have AVS as it is an optional extra in the UK. As above if the car has it the rotary dial with have Sport+ on it. If you select it by turning the rotary dial through the options, i.e. If in Normal it would be two turns to the right, the dash colours will turn from blue to a deep red.

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies, it seems I found the first F Sport with AVS to my liking :)

I'll try to check for cables going to the suspension.

@DJP: I think the guy from the company meant he thinks "Sport +" is standard on F-Sport, not AVS.

As per Colin. No identifiers from outside the car. Unbelievable ride considering the rubber band tyres, and the handling in Sport+ is really good, noticeably so over standard. The only gripe I have is that I would like to be able to set the suspension to sport and the power train to normality as some times I find the power delivery in sport a little jerky. 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links