Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Adaptive Variable Suspension - Standard With Nav On F Sport

The AVS wasn't mentioned as an option when I ordered my F Sport on Saturday, I've bought the showroom model which has the premium nav option. I think the Levinson stereo was the only option I didn't have and I've got that on my IS and really don't get the benefit as I tend to listen to Radio 5 live :yawn:

I thought I'd ask the dealer about it and he has come back to me saying that every F Sport that comes with the premium nav also comes with the AVS :D. I think it's a £650 option elsewhere.

I'm not really too sure what the AVS does, but hey, if it's going I'll have it!

I think I read somewhere on here that they brought it to the UK after some negative write ups on the ride. No idea whether that's true of not.

Anyone else know anything about this subject?

Roll on 1st Sept, I'm not wishing my life away as anticipation is an under rated experience but how many more sleeps is it.....

This quote from some blurb I have on the IS300h might help: "The new Drive Mode Select system features up to five switchable driving modes: Eco, Snow, Normal, Sport/Sport S and (on the IS 300h with optional AVS) Sport S+. Where specified, the Adaptive Variable Suspension system lets the driver fine tune vehicle ride with a choice of Normal or Sport S+ modes. A drive mode controller is used for selecting Eco, Normal Sport/Sport S and Sport S+, while adjacent switches are used for engaging EV and Snow modes ... Where Adaptive Variable Suspension is specified as an option on the IS 300h F Sport, Sport S+ mode combines the enhanced powertrain output of Sport/Sport S with co-ordinated control of the AVS and electric power steering to minimise body roll, sharpen handling and optimise steering feel to deliver sporting driving dynamics".

There seem to be quite a few extra features included with the F Sport which aren't mentioned on the Lexus web site or their brochure. While this is great for lucky F Sport owners, the Premier model is by comparison looking over priced or does anyone know if it too has some undocumented extras?

The AVS wasn't mentioned as an option when I ordered my F Sport on Saturday, I've bought the showroom model which has the premium nav option. I think the Levinson stereo was the only option I didn't have and I've got that on my IS and really don't get the benefit as I tend to listen to Radio 5 live :yawn:

I thought I'd ask the dealer about it and he has come back to me saying that every F Sport that comes with the premium nav also comes with the AVS :D. I think it's a £650 option elsewhere.

I think I read somewhere on here that they brought it to the UK after some negative write ups on the ride. No idea whether that's true of not.

Roll on 1st Sept, I'm not wishing my life away as anticipation is an under rated experience but how many more sleeps is it.....

. . . what exactly is the "Premium" navigation system? - My F Sport has navigation specified, wonder if that will qualify for AVS?

. . . what exactly is the "Premium" navigation system? - My F Sport has navigation specified, wonder if that will qualify for AVS?

I asked my dealer what the difference is between the Premium and the non Premium. As I understand it, there is no non premium!

• Like 1

I asked my dealer what the difference is between the Premium and the non Premium. As I understand it, there is no non premium!

Sounds good to me, another little unexpected extra :backofnet:

This quote from some blurb I have on the IS300h might help: "The new Drive Mode Select system features up to five switchable driving modes: Eco, Snow, Normal, Sport/Sport S and (on the IS 300h with optional AVS) Sport S+. Where specified, the Adaptive Variable Suspension system lets the driver fine tune vehicle ride with a choice of Normal or Sport S+ modes. A drive mode controller is used for selecting Eco, Normal Sport/Sport S and Sport S+, while adjacent switches are used for engaging EV and Snow modes ... Where Adaptive Variable Suspension is specified as an option on the IS 300h F Sport, Sport S+ mode combines the enhanced powertrain output of Sport/Sport S with co-ordinated control of the AVS and electric power steering to minimise body roll, sharpen handling and optimise steering feel to deliver sporting driving dynamics".

There seem to be quite a few extra features included with the F Sport which aren't mentioned on the Lexus web site or their brochure. While this is great for lucky F Sport owners, the Premier model is by comparison looking over priced or does anyone know if it too has some undocumented extras?

Very helpful, thank you. Sounds like far too many options to me, a bit like the dishwasher which has 10 different settings and I only ever use two!

Still, I'd rather have them than not I guess.

AVS is a Factory Fit Option.

Tel

:(

Why the sad face, is that a problem?

It's just that earlier in the thread the impression was given that it would be standard on the F Sport if specified with navigation - seemingly this isn't the case if it is a factory fit "option" - never mind, it sounded far too complex to me in any case!

AVS is a Factory Fit Option.

Tel

:(

Why the sad face, is that a problem?

It's just that earlier in the thread the impression was given that it would be standard on the F Sport if specified with navigation - seemingly this isn't the case if it is a factory fit "option" - never mind, it sounded far too complex to me in any case!

It was my dealer who told me. I mentioned it to him as it hadn't been offered as an option. He went away and came back saying it was standard on F Sports that had the Nav option. Might be worth you mentioning it to your dealer. I remember having an extended drive in the GS450h and that had it. when you select it there's an image that appears on the screen showing suspension or something, memory of it is a tad vague.

AVS is Adaptive Variable Suspension. Internally, it has 9 different settings that it can change based on road conditions, they can be changed several times a second and thats how you get firmer suspension that handles pot holes and rough roads better than softer one. It is definitely something you want to have in your car.

AVS is Adaptive Variable Suspension. Internally, it has 9 different settings that it can change based on road conditions, they can be changed several times a second and thats how you get firmer suspension that handles pot holes and rough roads better than softer one. It is definitely something you want to have in your car.

Thank you, that's very helpful. Is it something you have to turn on, or if you have it you have it? And if it's a factory fit option, how do you know that you have it (particularly if it's "on" all the time)?

Hope this makes sense :unsure:

Thank you, that's very helpful. Is it something you have to turn on, or if you have it you have it? And if it's a factory fit option, how do you know that you have it (particularly if it's "on" all the time)?

it is always on, you can set several settings including Sport+ and thats how you know you have it.

Basically US reviews between 335i and IS 350 with AVS said that BMW crashes through pot holes while IS goes over them properly. This is due to AVS adjusting to the road conditions properly.

In fact, it is opposite of how older BMW's and Lexus's worked, where BMW was famous for its composed handling and Lexus wasnt... now tables have turned.

it is always on, you can set several settings including Sport+ and thats how you know you have it.

Basically US reviews between 335i and IS 350 with AVS said that BMW crashes through pot holes while IS goes over them properly. This is due to AVS adjusting to the road conditions properly.

In fact, it is opposite of how older BMW's and Lexus's worked, where BMW was famous for its composed handling and Lexus wasnt... now tables have turned.

Very interesting, thanks again. I read somewhere that is was some early reviews of the 300 which were a bit critical of the ride that LED to Lexus including it on UK F Sports that have the Nav option. How true or not that is I have no idea, and it won't be until I take delivery on the 1st that I can be sure one way or the other.

Very interesting, thanks again. I read somewhere that is was some early reviews of the 300 which were a bit critical of the ride that LED to Lexus including it on UK F Sports that have the Nav option. How true or not that is I have no idea, and it won't be until I take delivery on the 1st that I can be sure one way or the other.

it is hard to take UK reviews seriously as they are not being serious... all of them said that IS300h gets worse mpg than all of the german diesels and then AE tests them all and gets best mpg in IS300h.

And yet, the M Sport package fails to rectify our complaints about the F30 chassis. There’s more movement from both front and rear axles than expected, more than its predecessor exhibited and, notably, more than either the ATS or the IS displays. Even with the optional suspension, body control falters. Bumps that the Lexus absorbs and the Cadillac shrugs off with a single succinct compression and rebound make the BMW pitch and roll and fight to stay on-line. Compared with the other two cars here, the BMW feels immense and slow-witted. Its steering also seems comparatively lazy, too light and vague on-center; and what little feel there is to begin with disappears entirely in fast transitions.

And that is what’s most damning: The M Sport is capable, but it’s not as engaging as either opponent.

But charge into a series of quick bends and the IS completely changes its character. Turn-in is crisper in the Lexus than in either the BMW or the Cadillac, a fact borne out by its first-place slalom finish in spite of a mediocre skidpad performance. More important, the Lexus is utterly imperturbable. Bumps that send other cars skittering off-line or scrambling to maintain their course are absorbed and dispatched, but not kept completely hidden from the driver.

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/2014-lexus-is350-f-sport-page-4

I am willing to bet anything that you will not see this being written in any UK review

:-)

Just to clarify having taken delivery of my F Sport yesterday it does NOT have adaptive suspension despite being told it did. You'll know if you have as the dial in the centre armrest will have a sports+ setting.

Am I disappointed? About being told it has, a bit, but I'd already agreed to buy the car before I even knew about it. In reality the car is fab so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.

Hope this is helpful for others and happy motoring.!

I'm not too dissapointed about not having it either, it's already a fantastic ride as it is - even though the dial doesn't have S+ displayed if you look at the gear selector it is marked S+ on there for some reason

I thought the + on the selector is matched by the - to indicate that you are supposedly changing up and down the gears, rather than actually in a different mode. I looked at the instruction book to identify what needs to be shown on the dial to identify that adaptive suspension is on the car.

As Wicksy says, the rides fantastic anyway, and I'm not sure how much time I'd be spending in "Sport" mode anyway. I certainly hardly ever felt the need on my old IS250.

I thought the + on the selector is matched by the - to indicate that you are supposedly changing up and down the gears, rather than actually in a different mode. I looked at the instruction book to identify what needs to be shown on the dial to identify that adaptive suspension is on the car.

As Wicksy says, the rides fantastic anyway, and I'm not sure how much time I'd be spending in "Sport" mode anyway. I certainly hardly ever felt the need on my old IS250.

if there is no S+, it isnt there... if you are happy with suspension now, then great... as usual, AVS is extra maintainance item down the 100,000-150,000 mile road.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I took the plunge in August and ordered an IS300h F-Sport in Silver with Dark Rose Leather and ticked all of the boxes including the AVS which can ONLY be selected if you also take the Premium Navigation option. It's a factory order because of the AVS, so I will not get to take delivery until the end of November :eerrrmm:

I was not able to test out the F-Sport with AVS, so I cannot say exactly what it will be like but the standard F-Sport although firm was very well damped and handling was superb.

I based my decision on the AVS selection as I am a current GS450h owner which already has it and, I can appreciate the difference but for most it would be very subtle. Having said that, I understand that the AVS on the IS300h makes the 'normal' setting more comfortable than the standard set up and firms it up appropriately when Sport+ mode is selected. This is not dissimilar to my GS450h and the difference is noticable particularly on twisty roads.

Once I have my new car, I'll update you all on how it rides compared to the standard - I'm not sure I can wait 2 months!

• 2 months later...

Hi Guys

I finally took delivery of my Silver/Rose Leather/Sat Nav/ML F-Sport yesterday which also had the optional AVS installed (Yay!) - It looked stunning (in the drizzle...) when I collected it.

Now having driven an F-Sport without the AVS, I can make a direct comparison in ride quality but I can safely say that I am extremely pleased that I chose to order the car with it installed - albeit I had to wait 3 months!

Whilst the ride in the standard F-Sport is firm, it was never uncomfortable and to be fair, I would have been pretty happy with the standard car. However, all of you that maybe felt that the standard F-Sport was too firm, I can say that AVS makes the 'normal' setting much more comfortable and less firm than a standard F-Sport set up without AVS. It simply glides around serenely soaking up all the bumps that you might have felt in the standard set up version.

I drove around in 'normal' mode and wafted about for quite some time and then decided it was about time that I checked out the other modes.

When Sport S+ is selected, the suspension firms up (but still remains more comfortable and compliant than the standard F-Sport) and steering and throttle response is altered so that it is more immediate and uses the Battery more willingly to aid acceleration. The handling then simply improved further and I was able to take corners even faster (it cornered pretty flat) and with no fluster from the car at all.

In essence - If you felt that the F-Sport was too firm but you liked the style and design and handing performance over that of say the Premier/Luxury model, then I would recommend trying out an F-Sport with AVS - IMHO (it's all subjective I know) it makes the car's ride quality improve to an extent that might surprise you. You might have to wait a while for one to be delivered (they are all pretty much factory orders) but I think it's worth the wait.

Anyone want to have a ride to see what I mean?!