Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Knocking Sound - What Is It?

Pepsionline

Hi all,

Well I have bought my first Lexus, it is a 1999 IS200 SE Auto.

When I bought it I noticed a knocking sound coming from the engine. Now I know it has high mileage 300,0000 but it is only two owners and runs perfectly.

Since I have had it I have done the following:

Changed the oil with fully synthetic + 1 quart Marvelous Mystery oil, Oil filter, Spark plugs, Air filter & Cabin filter.

Run for 500 miles and changed oil again

Run for 1000 miles and changed oil again + 1 quart Marvelous Mystery Oil and oil filter (oil is Castrol Edge 5w 30)

But the sound is still there so I made a video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfiOpeQk1dg&feature=youtu.be

I hope you can help me sort this because this noise is driving me crazy.

Many thanks

Paul

Hey paul I bought an is200 about 2 weeks ago now and when I bought the car it was silent but the next day it began to knock loudly drove it for few days no different. It eventually got worse and EML came on. So bit the bullet and got a new engine on removing the old engine I dropped the sump of to reveal metal shards in the sump and the bottom of a piston rod in the sump also.

Thats my experience so far .

Jus to add I change my oil and filter also before hand and it came out like glue and was dark green so the previous owner was hiding this problem

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you could give us a few more details. Where is the sound coming from, top, bottom, front, rear? Is it in time with the engine rpm? In other words does it knock faster when you rev the engine?

I paid £800 which I thought was fair as the condition is good and the engine is fine apart from the tapping sound.

Is this a big problem can it be fixed at home or is it a garage job, if so what price should I look at?

Thanks

Paul

that's a fair price. if your mechanically minded you can do it your self. costing would be approx. 200/300.

you can change cambelt while your at it if needs replacing, as you will take it off the cam pulley.

you can get it done by local garage. I would say max 500 quid costing, half day job.

if everything else is good on your car and not burning engine oil then its your choice to fix it and keep it.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links