Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

1997 Ls400 Radio Says Help?

Hello all

A friend of mine has recently purchased a 1997 Lexus LS400 and could not get the radio to work.

When i had a look at it i could not get it to switch ON or OFF, the power button does not seem to do anything.

The screen just says "HELP".

I thought it may need the code but apparently that would say "CODE". Iv never seen the word HELP before.

Went to the dealers and they said it needs a Master reset, however, they are not sure if they can do it or not as its been such a long time since anybodys even heard of this problem. They want me to book it in so they can contact Lexus Technical and ask them how to do it. As theres no garantee it will work, its free if it doesnt work, but it could potentially be 2 hours labour if it does work, even though it will take them all of about 1 minute to enter the actual code.

Lexus being Lexus their hourly labour rate, plus vat made me think if i could do anything else myself?

Or better still, what are our options in terms of just replacing the headunit with an aftermarket one? Doesnt have to be big and clever, just play music.

Thanks.

Did I read somewhere on these forums that most LS400s never have radio codes inserted but if they do it relates to the VIN number ( on the windscreen ).

Malc

Wrong code entered too many times maybe? If so it may be a main dealer only job, or maybe cheaper to buy one from a breakers on ebay (with a code of course!)

That is correct, wrong code entered too many times. The limit is 9 tries, after which it locks itself permanently.

Its a dealer-only job after that, but like i said above, even the dealers are not 100% sure they can fix this. And even if they do, the amount they are charging is simply ridiculous.

Iv treid searching on eBay for another unit, but cant seem to find the right one here in the UK. I know they are not the most common of headunits but surely they have not become so rare already have they.

And this is why we're looking at just replacing it with an aftermarket unit if its not too much trouble???

There is a fix but it is complicated ;It is in the archives of the forum as someone had the same problem you have .It involves repetitive switching on of various instrument switches and controls including indicators ignition allsorts but it does work according to the guy who needed the help.

Try searching the LS400 archives under radio code.

Hello W4SIM.

I am not sure if this will help you as you state that the car with the problem is a 1997 but this link works for cars with the built in sat nav.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/topic/52295-ls400-1998-with-satnav-unlocking-code-needed/?hl=%2Breset+%2Bradio

Good luck.

Steve

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links