Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is220D . Possibly Blown Injector?

Hi all

Today after almost a year I decided to clean the EGR valve as it had been 10K since I last did it and the car was feeling a bit sluggish.

When I removed the engine cover, to my surprise it was covered in sort of black tar (but hard to the touch) around one of the injectors and burn marks and similar crust on the underside of the enigne cover as well. When I started the car, with the bonnet up and engine cover off, it was like a steam engine. It was blowing sort of steam, stream from the injector on every turn of engine about every four ticks I presume.

So.. I dont know how long its been blown for as I had been feeling the car was becoming a bit sluggish and MPG was going down quite a bit and I thought it was the EGR valve. Problem is that when the engine cover was on and I was usually sat in the car with the windows up and AC on, I would not have heard that steam engine blowing

So I am a bit scared now what to do about it. Its on 118000 miles now. The head gasket should be OK as the pink radiator fluid is still pink and no residue inside the engine oil cover.

I am trying to post some pics with this thread but don't know if they will come out properly.

Any comments? suggestions what to do next?

20130825_150139.jpg

20130825_150147.jpg

Well lets hope it's not steam. At a guess your injector is leaking around it's seat ie either it has come loose (unlikely) or one of the seals has gone. Should be an easy enough fix.

• Like 1

Thanks Patrick

You are right, its not steam, because of all the black crust everywhere.

spoke to local garage today. They said they have fixed a lot of leaking injectors on Toyota diesels, due to copper seals breaking. However the garage guy asked if I could smell diesel in the car through the vents. I am not too sure I did. I suspect it may be engine oil leaking as I had topped it up a few days back and it was just past the low line. Needed a quarter of litre of oil to bring it back to full level. On the other hand I have no idea what I am talking about so he might actually be right on this one.

The garage said it should be OK to drive to them. So will take it there tomorrow before work. Not going to Lexus dealer for this, cause I am a bit afraid they will turn it into one of those "we need to change all injectors on the engine" job worth more than half the price of the car itself.

It'll not be oil. It's diesel or partially combusted diesel leaking around the injector on the compression stroke. As I said should be easy enough to fix and not too expensive as long as the injector comes out easily.

The garage just mentioned that. They said its a bit risky as if the injector breaks inside while removal it can be really expensive so did I want to go ahead with it.

I said Yes, and now await till tomorrow to find out

Not wishing to worry you...but they can be bitches to get out so I have heard. Remember someone saying something about a copper washer being a complete pain to retrieve.

Hope yours go OK.

Its from the movie "office space". If you'd seen it you'd find it quite funny. Its frustrated office workers (computer programmers) bashing the s**t out of the office printer they get their hands on after being laid off

Got it back today. They used a special Vacuum tool to take out the injector. Cost £300 in all including 4 hours labour charge. No more noise or spray coming from the engine.

Was Grove Lane Garage in Leeds

• 9 months later...

Folks,

I'm in a very similar situation to Shepard above. My engine bay looks identical and I fear I have at least 1 dodgy injector. Is this a DIY job to replace, assuming I can get a replacement injector and seal and can recode it myself? (I use the techstream software...)

My big concern is disconnecting the high pressure fuel line? Does this remain under pressure after the car has been turned off? I've heard of horror stories online about people getting high pressue fuel under their skin!

My plan:

1. Remove all fuel lines to the failed injector
  2. Remove the hold down bracket for the injector
  3. Remove injector
  4. Remove old seal and install new one
  5. Install new injector
  6. Bolt it in
  7. Reconnect all fuel lines etc.
  8. Recode the ECU
  9. ....Start engine.

This sound OK?

(Folks I'd really appreciate a replay as my car is needed ASAP, thanks)

anyone

Folks,

I'm in a very similar situation to Shepard above. My engine bay looks identical and I fear I have at least 1 dodgy injector. Is this a DIY job to replace, assuming I can get a replacement injector and seal and can recode it myself? (I use the techstream software...)

My big concern is disconnecting the high pressure fuel line? Does this remain under pressure after the car has been turned off? I've heard of horror stories online about people getting high pressue fuel under their skin!

My plan:

1. Remove all fuel lines to the failed injector
  2. Remove the hold down bracket for the injector
  3. Remove injector
  4. Remove old seal and install new one
  5. Install new injector
  6. Bolt it in
  7. Reconnect all fuel lines etc.
  8. Recode the ECU
  9. ....Start engine.

This sound OK?

(Folks I'd really appreciate a replay as my car is needed ASAP, thanks)

Anyone? Please, i'm stuck. :)

Can't really give you the definitive on this chum.

But... my understanding is that this would probably be a main dealer job. I think I'm right in saying that the seals (think it may be a copper seal?) can be a right toad to get out...and there is real danger of losing it into the head. Someone on the forum tried to get this done at 'a n other' garage, who promptly messed it right up. Recall him saying he wished he'd just stumped up and had it done at Lexus.

Doesn't help much....sorry.

• 11 months later...

I had the same problem with my car (injector 1).

Seems like pretty common fault with diesel cars.

I got my fixed locally in Leicester at Welham Motors for £100.

Lexus dealership quoted me around £400.

• 2 years later...

Hi would like some help. Had my is220d serviced and I've noticed 1st and 2nd gear sluggish off the mark but as soon as I hit 2 revs off it goes like normal. Also when I start the car I can smell what I think is diesel coming from the vent it last for anything from 1 min Upton 5 mins then it goes. Any help or advise much appreciated.😀

It's a blown Injector seal at base of one or more injectors.

It's possible to diy repair if you're reasonably handy. Remove the injector (google this, it's easy enough, if stuck wiggle out while applying upwards continuous pressure using a 14mm spanner on injector body)

Once out, clean injector and remove lower copper washer seal. If copper washer is not on base of injector, it's stuck in the head. You'll need to fish it out using a long tool, Google can help here too.

Replace injector seal with new one and refit everything. Tightening down the new injector to the correct torque is important. If you don't have a torque gauge, make sure it's a little beyond "very snug"

Good luck

• 3 years later...

I've just experienced this problem following diagnostics by a competent garage. Previous garages had told me that my clutch and timing chain were failing. Probably due to my engine making a tapping noise. Parts were £3 total to replace gasket. 2 hours labour and £56 for diagnostics. 

• 1 year later...

im having same sort of thing happen ive got vsc light on engine management light traction control light on and have  diagnostics done which came back with code fuel system large leakage detected where do i start as been told it could be a injector or am i missing thing any help would be welcome 

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links