Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New 2013 Is1250

Hi,

I've just taken delivery of new IS250 and one of the worst things about it is the new "Soft Touch" indicators (at least I think that's what they're called). Push the indicator lever up to go right, it returns to its mid position while the indicator still flashes, and dab it down to cancel it - hit it slightly too hard to cancel it and the left indicator goes on confusing and annoying other road users. Not impressed one bit so far!!!

Also, I notice the boot lid is incredibly light (I guess due to new rear light arrangement), and no longer closes with that sound of quality "wump" - it closes with the sound I can only think is something like the boot lid on a Huyundai Accent very "tinny". Doesn't sound like it's the usual Lexus quality at all.

Other than that I think I need to sit in the car for good few hours to understand all the new features and options.

Paul.

Bournemouth

The indicators are getting like that on all cars now.... :-(

The boot lid is really light on the GS too, and feels a bit cheapy. It isn't even damped when it opens fully so it bounces back!! Whilst I do really do like the newer Lexus's overall, some of the Toyotaness is still there.... It's those "tactile" things that set the Germans apart.

Indicators is something you'll get used to im sure. the boot however is probably not :(

Welcome to the club anyway, you made a good engine choice with the 250

Further to my previous post, I am now able to add more points about the new Is250 2013 model.

Lexus issues. I should point out that this is my third Lexus having previously owned an IS220d and IS250.

1. Indicators - now changed to Soft Touch rubbish, cannot say how much I absolutely hate them.

2. Boot - lid very very light, hinges now covered in Plastic. What were Lexus thinking, this is far from Lexus Quality.

3. Gears - unlike previous IS250 I can feel it changing gears up and down (think it's mainly 5th and 6th but not worked out how to see what gear I'm in yet).

4. Idling - unlike previous IS250, I am unable to reverse into my very narrow driveway just using the brake pedal, I have to give it a dab of accelerator.

5. Driving - having driving a long mixed (country roads, town, and motorway) 500 mile journey, it doesn't feel as "stuck to the road" as the previous IS250.

6. USBs - two USB slots won't allow lid to close if memory stick of average length inserted. Had to purchase USB Adaptor that uses wire.

7. Would I recommend it to other potential users, only if they've never driven or owned the previous model. Would I recommend the previous model - absolutely.

Sorry to hear of your niggles.

Hope it grows on you with time.

The short/stubby, about 30mm long, USB sticks are great for use in the arm rest on mine.

" Would I recommend the previous model - absolutely. " totally agree with you on that one. Think I'll be sticking with mine for a long time.

Took my friend out for a spin in mine ( he's a beemer geezer) the other day and he was dribbling the whole journey. He could not get over the seamless and smooth auto box.

In response to these...

1. I just don't notice this at all (I came from Volvo). The salesman said something to me about it, but I didn't listen and, like I say, I haven't noticed.

2. On this, you're right (I mentioned this somewhere else on the forum) - the boot lid is just plain awful. As you say, it is the one thing which tells you the car isn't German. In any case, frankly, self-closing boot lids should be the norm now on all Lexus cars - I've seen Jaguars, Mercedes and VW Passats with them.

3. Gears don't apply on the hybrid. You can change the engine speed which has the feeling of gears, and I noted when I went to do so at 70mph that the car was in "5" rather than "6". Doubt that's relevant, but thought I'd mention it!

4. Again, I can't make the comparison as I didn't have the 2IS and the hybrid is different anyway.

5. I've no idea about this, as I haven't gone over 100 miles in a single day yet. That said, one man's "stuck to the road" is another man's "bumpy hell", it is subjective.

6. You're right about that (I've just noted it on another thread), although modern USB sticks are usually shorter. I found one in the study which worked and would fit!

7. I do see your point here - I'm not comparing against previous. That said, I did move through three different Volvos (MkI S40, MkI S60 then MkII S80) and initially there was some discomfort simply due to unfamiliarity, so do give it some time. I hope things improve!

Audi's boot lid is fine, feels premium and properly weighted; and Jaguar has the touch button. Volvo wasn't as good as those, although still felt a bit more sturdy.

It's not a major problem, by any means, but can't disagree that it does feel about sub-premium. (I don't like to say things "feel like Toyota" because Toyotas are good cars in their own right!)

Audi's boot lid is fine, feels premium and properly weighted; and Jaguar has the touch button. Volvo wasn't as good as those, although still felt a bit more sturdy.

It's not a major problem, by any means, but can't disagree that it does feel about sub-premium. (I don't like to say things "feel like Toyota" because Toyotas are good cars in their own right!)

i didnt talk about the boot lid only, but complete car... for instance BMW doesnt have boot covered from the inside... So just because Lexus used Aluminium on the boot doesnt mean that it has worse interior - I know that in UK press Germans automatically have everything better than Lexus. Like every review of GS said that it has great interior but of course not quite Audi level - on the other side, most people who sat in both know GS has higher quality interior... same goes for IS300h... it automatically has worse everything than Germans - like every review mentioned good mpg but worse than diesels ("of course"), and then AE tests them all and IS300h has better mpg :-).

F30bootsoundproofing-1.jpg

I'm referring specifically to the boot lid, and the way it closes, which is a bit sub-premium and mildly irritating in equal measure (IMHO). The boot itself is okay (though actually Volvo's had a really useful median divider with a band across, which I miss).

You'll not get any argument from me on the other points. In fact, I think UK car reviewers should be utterly ashamed of themselves, because they are fundamentally misleading the public. Indeed, on another thread, I accused one reviewer of not having sat in the car at all - that's right, I am quite convinced that one magazine did the review without going anywhere near the car (because it repeated so much of the erroneous nonsense I'd read elsewhere, and did so as a composite!)

I cannot fault the IS interior. For me, Audi and Mercedes are the nearest challengers, Volvo and Jaguar aren't bad by any means, and BMW is far and away the worst. It's subjective up to a point, but any review suggesting any BMW interior is better needs instantly binned. (I have also noted elsewhere that the GS is the nicest car I've ever sat in bar none.)

I cannot fault the IS driving experience either. I accept that, versus BMW, it is subjective, but I would put it better and so would a number of North American reviewers. The fact that not a single UK magazine reviewer has the guts even to suggest this again gives the game away (in fairness, I have seen UK newspapers at least consider it seriously!)

And yes, as you say, the fact is (not subjective) that the IS is closer to its published mpg than any of the German diesels. Again, the inherent bias of the reviewers becomes obvious.

I'm in PR actually. I'd love to get hold of the Lexus UK contract! :)

Ian - what i remember for instance, was Autocar or AE review of Honda Accord... they said wonderful car but short of best german cars... they pointed out the boot not covered as one of the big cost cutting moves from Honda - while none of the 3 series have it covered for quite a while.

On the other side, then you get American reviews... they dont have any allegiance but generally they like BMW better because it has always been the sportiest. Now for both GS and IS, American reviews say Lexus has better handling and better interior than Germans and GS and IS win most tests in the class these days.

It is night and day difference.

I was trying to "sell" an F30 to my best buddy since the press crowned it as the best car ever built. It is certainly better than Passat CC he has right now, or so I thought. Then we go in, and ... disappointment - interior is pretty cheap unless you add everything to it (and who does that?), in fact, Passat CC probably has nicer interior than base/mid F30... then quality wise - i tried 7-8 F30's on the lot and all of them had at least one door thats hard to close... you literally had to slam the door. According to BMW forums, this is "normal" and it takes 12 months for seals to settle... what? Big disappointment. You never read this in any review and then I saw in Autocar, long term car, reviewer said that for some reason he has to slam to door very hard for them to close and which constantly makes everyone look at him as if he is crazy. In general, F30 felt like any other car in non-premium class, except for the badge... and they were discounting it heavily (we did like F10 btw).

When it comes to mpg, even I bought it - 320 ED gets amazing MPG according to press, barely spends any fuel at all - apperantly spends less fuel than city cars, and IS300h doesnt... then they test them and strange thing happens - IS300h is better. What?

These days I read UK press to laugh - no matter what the review says.

My frustration is that a lot of people out there aren't that interested in cars - my neighbour's just considering a new lease deal for example, and reviews would be an obvious first port of call. In too many cases, Lexus is simply written off at that first port - not only is it written off with no good reason, but actually with lots of bad reasons!

My frustration is that a lot of people out there aren't that interested in cars - my neighbour's just considering a new lease deal for example, and reviews would be an obvious first port of call. In too many cases, Lexus is simply written off at that first port - not only is it written off with no good reason, but actually with lots of bad reasons!

The Motoring Press' reaction to your new car appears to have got under your skin, you'll get over it, they were just the same when I bought mine four years ago. I read all the reviews I could lay my hands on and had extensive test drives in the competition. The reviews made no sense to me. I just drive around in mine and think those who dismiss a Lexus without giving it serious thought are missing a trick. The upside is there aren't thousands on the road which gives us a bit of exclusivity.

Exiled,

Doesn't bother me in the slightest - I have the car! Not my problem.

What bothers me in general is shoddy journalism in general. Political journalists with no eye for what the real story is; sports journalists literally just making up "transfer news"; motoring journalists writing reviews without even driving the car.

I know some really good journalists. They are being hung out to dry by all the rubbish out there. And newspapers/magazines are in permanent decline because of that rubbish, leaving the good journalists with nowhere to go.

That's what annoys me!