Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Led Light Bulbs?

Hi folks

More advice needed - I have a 2002 IS200 Auto and was wondering if replacing the "normal" bulbs with the LED types would enhance the car's appearance and also improve the brightness of the lights.

No one local seems to stock these for some reason although there are loads on eBay.

Also would LED bulbs be ok with the car's electronics?

Any help will be gratefully received :flowers:

I assume you referring to the interior bulbs? Don't think you would be wise to be thinking about those for the headlights.

On the interior route....you can look on eBay. There are many from china, cripes, its where pretty much all of our electronics are sourced anyway. I think you need to go the " canbus" or "error free" route then you should not have any issues with your ecu.

I'm sure someone will be along soon to give you the relevant info. Sit tight and be patient.

Oddly enough, I am investigating this for my series 2 at the moment.

Thank you very much.

I wasn't so much thinking of heaadlights but replacing the tail lights, reversing lights and perhaps the indicators to improve the visibility and perhaps to update the car's appearance.

The car is quite elderly but it has only done 59k so I paln to keep it until it (or I) falls to bits.

I raelly am grateful for your advice. I thought perhaps tha absence of local suppliers indicated that the LED types were of little use.

LED headlights are a waste of time, they don't produce anywhere near enough light. If you want them brighter/whiter then HIDs are the only way to go.

I've got LEDs on my reverse and side lights and they are much brighter though. But they are the only exterior bulbs I would consider replacing. I did try doing the brake lights too, but the bulb is mounted at an angle and LEDs are very directional so they were rubbish as well as they didn't light up the reflector properly.

You don't need the CANBUS stuff for the sidelights or reverse lights though. I think the only bulbs on the car with a 'bulb out' indicator are the tail lights?

You don't need to replace tail lights or indicators with LED's to improve visibility. I've been behind IS's in fog and never had a problem seeing their tail lights, brake lights, indicators, or fog lights. Can't say I ever remember being behind one while it's reversing, but I'm sure that is still perfectly visible too.

I think anyone would opt for brighter reversing lights, you can even buy additional lights for that purpose but probably wouldnt look right on a IS lol, so get some Q5 CREE LEDs for them. LEDs can work in headlights but not when retro fitted, the highest ive seen is 25w which is only half of the 55w that your standard halogens will give out. They will need multiple advanced diods with a good magnifying lens to match, costs hundreds if not thousands to be done properly. The new S class merc that came out this year is the first car to only use LEDs, so yes its possible and i think if i not mistaken the first car with LED headlights was the LS600. Anyway you shouldnt mess with the brightness of your taillights or indicators, they are designed to be a certain brightness, if you want to do it for cosmetic reason by all means, they look the business. Like ppl have said, ide recommend HID bulbs for you headlights especially because the IS's headlights are not that good to begin with. not sure why.

Wattage is irrelevant when comparing LED or HID to filament bulbs. My 35W HIDs produce 3 x more light than a 55W filament bulb! And my 1W LED sidelights are much brighter than the 5W bulbs they replaced too.

The only way to directly compare different technologies in bulbs is Lumens (actual measurement of light output, not power input)

Best money I spent on replacement bulbs was the HID headlights and the LED reversing lights. The sidelights are just cosmetic really.

Wattage is irrelevant when comparing LED or HID to filament bulbs. My 35W HIDs produce 3 x more light than a 55W filament bulb! And my 1W LED sidelights are much brighter than the 5W bulbs they replaced too.

The only way to directly compare different technologies in bulbs is Lumens (actual measurement of light output, not power input)

Best money I spend on replacement bulbs was the HID headlights and the LED reversing lights. The sidelights are just cosmetic really.

Good point

I've got those 25w Q5 CREE bulbs in my reversing lights and they're excellent. They take a few seconds to reach optimum brightness just like HIDs, but even when they initially come on, they illuminate what's behind the car way better than normal bulbs.

I think they might be harder to see during daylight though, especially bright sunshine, because some old dude stopped and complained that I "didn't have any reversing lights" after I had reverse-parked in front of him.

Hello again

Just to clarirify you recommend changing reversing light bulbs to 45 w CREE and headlights to HID.

I have Xenon headlight bulbs at the moment - will HID be better than these?

Also I fancy a nice white light for rear number plate. Any recommendations for this one please?

Thank you

45W for reversing lights is WAY over the top, but he quoted 25W which will be more than bright enough.

Xenon and HID are the same thing I think, Xenon is the name of the gas inside an HID bulb. Some filament bulbs advertise themselves as being Xenon, but infact they only have something like 13% Xenon and the rest is still Halogen, but it makes them a tiny bit brighter/whiter, but they are still nowhere near as good as proper HIDs.

With the number plate light (which are a bit of a bummer to get to btw) makesure you get a T10/W5W with a360 light coverage because there at a wierd angle. Also not to long because theres not much room once twisted in

• 2 weeks later...

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links