Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Sound Simulation

. . . do you use it?

Can it only be used in Sports mode?

I haven't experimented with it yet but once or twice when I have switched to Sports mode the IS proves it is no slouch and the engine sounds impressive as the speed builds. I've yet to try the paddle shifters but I'm assuming engine noise will always accompany that mode?

I think it works in Normal mode too but is louder in Sports. I'm quite happy with the ordinary sound so don't think I'll be bothering. I also agree it's no slouch at all. Even in Normal it's got more than enough to be getting around with. I must admit at the moment I'm enjoying just wafting around in superb comfort thinking how little time I'm going to spend in petrol stations compared to before!

As far as the paddle shifters are concerned, I used them no more than a handful of times in my 250 and can see even less use in the 300. Basically they don't really do very much, the computer control the gearing to a great extent, possibly even more so in the 300.

My wife has just bought a 1.3 Jazz hybrid and she's got them on that!!!

Wicksey - DJP, I am not sure mine is delivering any sound at all? What does it sound like? Mine is switched on green light and volume up to max.

Maybe I need a hearing test?

When in sport mode on the multi selector the car is self shifting. Select sport on the gear box and the multi switch then I have to use the paddles to shift up it is not auto. In this set up it is very swift.

Clocked up 800 miles this week and loved every mile.

Charles,

Sounds like you have it on correctly. Sometimes it isn't perfect, I've found!

As with others, I rarely use it at all.

There is definitely a different between using the paddles in sport mode with gear selector in D, and using it with paddles in sport mode and gear selector in S. The latter is much preferable if you really want some power.

Again, as with others, I rarely use sport mode, although I admit I was in a hurry this morning and put it on to pull out faster...

Ian P.

• 2 weeks later...

Charles,

Sounds like you have it on correctly. Sometimes it isn't perfect, I've found!

As with others, I rarely use it at all.

There is definitely a different between using the paddles in sport mode with gear selector in D, and using it with paddles in sport mode and gear selector in S. The latter is much preferable if you really want some power.

Again, as with others, I rarely use sport mode, although I admit I was in a hurry this morning and put it on to pull out faster...

Ian P.

Hi Ian,

There is no audible difference with it on or off so one for the technician.

Really like Sport mode on the selector and gear box when a turn of speed is needed, but only for short sprints.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 months later...

I used this today as I was in the car on my own and wanted to experiment a bit. I had it turned up to full and am pretty certain it only works in Sport mode. At a steady 55 mph on the M25 there was a discernible 'rumble' which stopped as soon as I went back to Normal mode.

I can't remember the actual speed I managed on a safe stretch of road (not M25 as there isn't one!) but is certainly showed the 300h can pack a punch. Mind you, it's so refined and comfortable I certainly didn't get the impression of speed, it just sort of got there, if you know what I mean.

Using the paddles was a but of fun too, especially with the fake engine sound, I confess to rather enjoying it in a childish sort of way. I am nearly 51 so clearly one of the younger drivers Lexus are looking to attract.

And the handling has to get a mention. I'm no racing driver but it sticks to the road so much better than its predecessor, it was great fun.

The ASC added to the fun IMHO.

The two times I've driven the IS300h as I wait for mine to be delivered I used the paddles to downshift increasing the engine braking (just as I would on my bikes), then when slowed a few taps on the 'up' paddle to 6th and the car sorts itself back into auto mode. No need to touch anything other than the paddles and the energy meter recharge thingy did increase. This is the main area of an auto box that I don't care for as I like to pre-select a gear then press on, so I suspect I'll be using the manual mode quite a bit. For sure the CVT box is different to a conventional one so that will make it interesting but as said up the page there is some decent performance to be had in these cars but they need to be revved. The plus side is of course that in 'everyday' mode you can let the car worry about it all and just press the 'go' and 'stop' pedals - not something I can do today!

DJP - As for being the grand old age of 'nearly' 51 - I'm hanging onto the shirt tails of my 40's so feel a mere youngster now!!

I'm agreed on the ASC - seems a bit pointless but light hearted entertainment anyhow for our younger passengers..