Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Converted !

Guest macash48

Well I picked up my beloved LS400 yesterday after a week.

Been getting converted by Toby Mackay aka "tubbs" in Ludlow.

Chose him after a lot of phone calls and emails to various different outfits with varying responses from non existent to unsatisfactory to down right rip off. All I can say is there must be more business out there than they can handle as a lot of them don't seem to be bothered.

Very happy with tubbs install very neat attention to detail and drove the 80 odd miles home very smoothly on gas.

He fitted an emer sequential system which is an Italian brand lesser known here used quite a bit in Australia and one that tubbs fits almost exclusively here as it is very reliable, well only time will tell.

He has fitted an 82 litre tank with no loss of boot space in the wheel well.

Don't know what I'm getting yet mpg wise to early to tell watch this space I guess.

Had the filler attached to the detachable towbar bracket and very well done it is too.

Any questions please ask, as I was very nervous about having this done as the lpg industry appears a bit of a minefield. Tubbs restores your faith, very good and tells it how it is.

• Like 1

Guest macash48

Sorry I forgot tubbs trades under the name independantautogas (google is your friend) :shifty:

I found contact by email and text best after initial phone call as mobile reception in Ludlow isn't good,keeping it clean !

Hi David

I bought a 1996 LS400 in December last year from a guy in Shropshire who had had a lpg conversion fitted by Tubbs.

The car has run great on lpg (and petrol) since I have had it and Tubbs had done a very neat job of the installation.

I think you can be confident all will be well.

Regards

Colin

Guest macash48

Mike, Colin and all,

Thanks! Defo looking forward to smiles per mile and to be honest as I say I looked long and hard before choosing my installer, I recommend trawling through lpg forums. But I just kept coming across positives for tubbs of independantautogas he is just one bloke that has years and years of experience and fits the conversion end to end himself and trims and tests it thoroughly before he gives it back. And the cost was £1375 all in.

Yes I know you can get it cheaper and also a lot dearer,I was happy with that.

Only downside is Ludlow (?) nice part of the world saw lots of sheep but then I did make a wrong turn on the way once or twice I think somebody turned off the satellites that day couldn't get a signal for love nor money rediscovered road signs and a map !

• Like 1

Mike, Colin and all,

Thanks! Defo looking forward to smiles per mile and to be honest as I say I looked long and hard before choosing my installer, I recommend trawling through lpg forums. But I just kept coming across positives for tubbs of independantautogas he is just one bloke that has years and years of experience and fits the conversion end to end himself and trims and tests it thoroughly before he gives it back. And the cost was £1375 all in.

Yes I know you can get it cheaper and also a lot dearer,I was happy with that.

Only downside is Ludlow (?) nice part of the world saw lots of sheep but then I did make a wrong turn on the way once or twice I think somebody turned off the satellites that day couldn't get a signal for love nor money rediscovered road signs and a map !

The price sounds more than reasonable to me.

Agree it is a lovely part of the world.

Did he need it for a week or did he actually get it down quicker.

Guest macash48

Cotswold Pete,

I left it with him for a week as it suited. It was either that or wait a few more weeks and as I had dithered I probably would have dithered some more so seized the moment. I believe he can do it in 4 days including uklpg certification. I guess it depends on when you book.

I'm familiar with the name, as a member of the lpg forum.

He certainly seems to get a good rep on there.

The LPG trade has been a bit of a mystery to me ever since the early eighties, when I first had dealings with this "cinderella" industry.

As somebody else asked on another thread, you do wonder why nobody has ever taken it by the scruff of the neck, and made a proper go of it.

Guest macash48

It is strange especially as these days you are never that far from a filling station that has LPG.

Maybe people don't like the idea of a gas tank in the back of the car, but from the crash test videos I have seen the tanks are quite robust.

Also peoples inertia to actually doing something different. It makes me laugh a couple of years ago the whole of the UK it seems was up in arms about the price of fuel. Then it went down (a bit) for a short while and has gradually crept up to the level that triggered all the whohar and now nothing, people just take it, give it a while and it will be up to £1.50 a litre and there will be another little protest and then everybody carries on paying, Madnes !

I'm familiar with the name, as a member of the lpg forum.

He certainly seems to get a good rep on there.

The LPG trade has been a bit of a mystery to me ever since the early eighties, when I first had dealings with this "cinderella" industry.

As somebody else asked on another thread, you do wonder why nobody has ever taken it by the scruff of the neck, and made a proper go of it.

I think there is a limit to how many people would convert to lpg,

Also there are probably a lot that would convert but can't due to longer manufacturers warranties .

You also need to trust that your car is going to last long enough to pay back.

Some people are sceptics. (put off by the horror stories).

Think of this if everyone converted to lpg Petrol would then be the bye product & the price of lpg would go through the roof.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of your install, Mark

There are still manufactures that will factory fit it to your new car.

Trouble with most people they just don't like change and if petrol went up £10 a gallon and LPG stay the same price the large majority would pay for the petrol. Mike

Guest macash48

Well I guess we should count our blessings then, as most people wouldn't by a reliable V8 luxury japanese car by the name of Lexus.

Lucky for us LOL :D :yahoo:

Any photos with the under-bonnet installation ??

Also why such a small tank ? I have heard that a 103ltr water capacity tank will fit in the spare wheel well or is that 83ltr how much gas you actually get into it ?

Would love to see the location of things under the bonnet

Thanks

Guest macash48

I don't think a 103 litre tank will fit in wheel well not without some severe modification to the well like bashing the panels out or even cutting the wheel well, I didn't want to go down that route I'm sure some have though. Pics tommorrow

Guest macash48

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links