Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattles . . .

Hi Chaps

Well, summer is on its way back and with the rising temperatures so is my rattle :eerrrmm:

It's not quite as bad and tends to disappear once the cabin temperature has dropped so it is definitely a case of plastic expanding or contracting. I'm still convinced it is coming from the speaker cover on the top of the dash on the passenger side - if it gets any worse I will take her back in again.

Got to say though, this is the quietest and most efficient car I've ever had, it puts the Audi A5 and Evoque that I had previously to shame in that respect. If I'm honest though I am a bit disappointed with the quality of the interior - it marks so easily but the trade off for style and refinement is well worth it.

How's the rattle Wicksy? I have a horrible feeling that mine is developing one around the same area you described - the speaker cover on the passenger side dash. I've nearly 10k on the clock so a service due anytime and if it hasn't disappeared Lexus can have a good look at it. I'm hoping it will disappear on its' own of course...

I'm putting up with mine for now DJP - anything above 16 degrees C and it is there - just like a light tap coming from the said speaker - once the cabin cools it disappears, usually after about 15 minutes or so. It won't be until September when a service is due that I will get a chance to mention it to the dealership and no doubt the temps will have dropped sufficiently then for it not to happen :eerrrmm:

Driver's window has this occasional cracking sound when it's all the way up, lowered slightly and the sound can't be heard, anyone has this also?

Driver's window has this occasional cracking sound when it's all the way up, lowered slightly and the sound can't be heard, anyone has this also?

I had a loaner 300h while my 250 F-sport was in for service. a brand new car and it has this rattle you described, plus a terrible rattle from the center console. sounds like 2 metal sheets vibrate against each other. I have to say that the interior build quality is pretty bad compares to 2nd gen IS. The whole center console looks ok, but feels realy cheap and low quality. So does the doors, seats, steering wheel and the boot. Glad that I didn't swap to 3rd gen IS.

Have determined it's definitely coming from the passenger dash speaker cover, my wife was able to stop it by placing her hand on the cover.

I'm booking it in for the 10k service and won't take it back until it's rattle free.

Aside from that, still loving it.

Sent from my Iphone using Lexus OC

I had a loaner 300h while my 250 F-sport was in for service. a brand new car and it has this rattle you described, plus a terrible rattle from the center console. sounds like 2 metal sheets vibrate against each other. I have to say that the interior build quality is pretty bad compares to 2nd gen IS. The whole center console looks ok, but feels realy cheap and low quality. So does the doors, seats, steering wheel and the boot. Glad that I didn't swap to 3rd gen IS.

Ditto - my feelings too - that centre console is definitely more "CT" than "GS". There is a big gap in quality.

Have determined it's definitely coming from the passenger dash speaker cover, my wife was able to stop it by placing her hand on the cover.

I'm booking it in for the 10k service and won't take it back until it's rattle free.

Sent from my iPhone using Lexus OC

Keep us up to date David - when my rattle made its first appearance I did tell them that I'd suspected it was coming from the speaker cover but they didn't seem to think so and said it was a loose wire within the engine bay. The temperatures dropped whilst they were working on the car and they mistakenly thought they'd solved the problem :eerrrmm:

Got to say I'm still loving it too even though it was rattling like a good 'un on my way home from work tonight.

Keep us up to date David - when my rattle made its first appearance I did tell them that I'd suspected it was coming from the speaker cover but they didn't seem to think so and said it was a loose wire within the engine bay. The temperatures dropped whilst they were working on the car and they mistakenly thought they'd solved the problem :eerrrmm:

Got to say I'm still loving it too even though it was rattling like a good 'un on my way home from work tonight.

Will do, it's booked in for Monday and Tuesday next week and I've said I don't want it back until it's sorted.

• Like 1

Will do, it's booked in for Monday and Tuesday next week and I've said I don't want it back until it's sorted.

What are their initial thoughts, David? Have you got a nice loaner in the meantime?

What are their initial thoughts, David? Have you got a nice loaner in the meantime?

Well, apparantly they have given extra padding to the speaker housing in the passenger door. When I mentioned that the rattle was coming from the speaker grille on the dash and that I had never mentioned the door speaker, a rather embarrassed service manager apologised and they are having it back next week. I've had the RX450h which I enjoyed from the height and straight line acceleration point of view, but the handling is IMO choppy and going around corners is like steering a boat. I'd love that engine in the IS! And true to Murphy's Law no ratlle for the past few days. Will update after next week

Thanks for the info David - I hope I'm wrong but I suspect it isn't going to be a straightforward job - it's strange how the service departments tend to be easily misled when there isn't an easy solution.

I've owned an RX400h which also wallowed around corners etc. but it wasn't half roomy, powerful and quiet. I'm just not a fan of the styling though.

Fingers crossed for next week - I'm hoping they can find a solution for you and with a bit of luck I can pass your findings on to Lexus Newcastle to make their job easier since they have failed to crack the problem in the past.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, apparantly they have given extra padding to the speaker housing in the passenger door. When I mentioned that the rattle was coming from the speaker grille on the dash and that I had never mentioned the door speaker, a rather embarrassed service manager apologised and they are having it back next week. I've had the RX450h which I enjoyed from the height and straight line acceleration point of view, but the handling is IMO choppy and going around corners is like steering a boat. I'd love that engine in the IS! And true to Murphy's Law no ratlle for the past few days. Will update after next week

You get it sorted DJP?

I've been waiting for a few days before posting, but it seems to have stopped completely. It was definitely coming from the passenger dash speaker area. I think they just padded it out.

I've been waiting for a few days before posting, but it seems to have stopped completely. It was definitely coming from the passenger dash speaker area. I think they just padded it out.

Good news - I'll ask for them to do the same to mine when it gets serviced in September. Thanks for the update DJP and fingers crossed it doesn't reappear

• 3 weeks later...

This is shameful of Lexus considering issues with the Mk2 IS and MK3 GS. Mine got so bad that I ended up selling the car as I was worried about future cost.

I hope yours is a minor issue which will be sorted once and for all.

• 1 month later...

I've now owned my IS300H Luxury for just over 13 months, with around 10K miles on the clock. It has been total devoid of rattles up to about a month ago. I now have an intermittent rattle above the glove box which can be stopped with slight downward pressure to the dashboard to the right of the air vent. I guess I will have to take it to the dealer at some point. I'm hoping it will be something simple which doesn't involve dismantling.

That's exactly what I had. One trip to the dealers and it's been as good as gold since. Croydon, if your dealer wants to check what was done. I asked but it wasn't the technician I spoke to so just got some blah blah blah.

Hope it works out.

Dealer looked at mine for a third time during its service last week - they said they'd put padding around the speaker grille on top of the passenger side dashboard and "hoped" that this would make things better - it didn't.

I've now pushed some felting between the dashboard and the windscreen in that area and the rattle has all but gone - fingers crossed that it stays that way.

If anyone wants to try the same I used the felt discs that you can find on the bottom of furniture legs etc. - the thickness of these are perfect to create a wedge that you can push down so that they are completely out of sight.

I've now owned my IS300H Luxury for just over 13 months, with around 10K miles on the clock. It has been total devoid of rattles up to about a month ago. I now have an intermittent rattle above the glove box which can be stopped with slight downward pressure to the dashboard to the right of the air vent. I guess I will have to take it to the dealer at some point. I'm hoping it will be something simple which doesn't involve dismantling.

Spoke too soon - its back.

I'm giving in and just turning the radiio on until the temperatures drop :devil: