Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattles . . .

I have one coming from the passenger side dash, near the speaker cover, it comes and goes but is so annoying in such a quiet car - I am taking her in for investigation this weekend.

Question is, am I the only one :eerrrmm:

After 500 miles no rattles from mine at all. I thought I had one but my wife had put some change in the cup holder. You do hear things in this car you would never hear in most other cars though as it is so quiet.

400 miles to date and no rattles. Please don't take this the wrong way but I hope you are the only one (and that it gets sorted of course). I expect the dealers will be paranoid about rattle reports after the early 2nd gen issues.

400 miles to date and no rattles. Please don't take this the wrong way but I hope you are the only one (and that it gets sorted of course). I expect the dealers will be paranoid about rattle reports after the early 2nd gen issues.

I'd be delighted being the only one, David. If that were the case Lexus can concentrate all of their efforts on fixing mine! Seriously though, I am pretty scarred by my experience with Land Rover when they ripped my Evoque's dash apart three times and made the situation worse on each attempt. This is the sole reason that I switched back to Lexus. I'm absolutely certain that I won't be treat in the same way this time around!

>400 miles to date and no rattles. Please don't take this the wrong way but I hope you are the only one (and that it gets sorted of course). I expect the dealers will be paranoid about rattle reports after the early 2nd gen issues.

I'd be delighted being the only one, David. If that were the case Lexus can concentrate all of their efforts on fixing mine! Seriously though, I am pretty scarred by my experience with Land Rover when they ripped my Evoque's dash apart three times and made the situation worse on each attempt. This is the sole reason that I switched back to Lexus. I'm absolutely certain that I won't be treat in the same way this time around!

Fingers crossed for you and look forward to a happy report after the weekend

Just back from the dealer - the guy from the service department was more than a little surprised that I was reporting a rattle but he could clearly hear it himself on the test drive - he says he will need the car for at least two days next week and that it "sounded identical to the noise that caused so much trouble on the second gen IS which is more than a little worrying" - if this turns out to be a dash out job I will be truly gutted because that could cause so many other problems in the future. Will report back next weekend :(

Oh dear. That is not good to hear Wicksy, but I really would be astonished if it's a reoccurrence of the historic creaky dash. Let's hope it's quickly sorted and you can get back to enjoying the car.

Hi Wicksy, This is a very long shot but I had a rattle in this area on a previous car (Honda Accord) which turned out to be some rubbish rattling around in the air vent hose. It sounded like something completely different and I only tracked it down by fiddling with all the climate controls. Also if the IS300h cabin filter is in the glove box like the 2nd gen IS, as it only takes a minute, it might be worth taking it out to check it and the fan (on the 2nd IS you need to carefully follow the instructions to avoid damaging the mechanism).

This will probably be a complete red herring so please let us know what the dealer identifies as the problem and cure.

Hi Wicksy, This is a very long shot but I had a rattle in this area on a previous car (Honda Accord) which turned out to be some rubbish rattling around in the air vent hose. It sounded like something completely different and I only tracked it down by fiddling with all the climate controls. Also if the IS300h cabin filter is in the glove box like the 2nd gen IS, as it only takes a minute, it might be worth taking it out to check it and the fan (on the 2nd IS you need to carefully follow the instructions to avoid damaging the mechanism).

This will probably be a complete red herring so please let us know what the dealer identifies as the problem and cure.

Hi Roger

I think that you may not be too far off the mark - the noise has totally disappeared today so it doesn't seem to indicate that something is particularly "loose" - the rattle has gone and re-appeared in the past and if it returns I will try your suggestions. Failing that the car is booked in for two days from Thursday with the dealership. I'm convinced that it is something really minor, no one else has, either on this forum or the Amercian/Australian forums, had such a problem and the technicians at Lexus Newcastle are more than a little surprised by it.

Has the rattle disappeared now?

Has the rattle disappeared now?

It's a strange one, Charles. On my morning drive to work it is as quiet as a mouse but on my return journey it rattles so loudly you can hear it over the radio! It must be down to the change in temperature on whether it decides to show itself or not. The technician has heard it himself so he knows the problem is there - I've got a bad feeling that this is going to be a dash out job - at least I know Lexus will give it their best shot unlike my previous Land Rover dealer.

Car is going in on Thursday for two days so I will get back to the forum over the weekend.

>Hi Wicksy, This is a very long shot but I had a rattle in this area on a previous car (Honda Accord) which turned out to be some rubbish rattling around in the air vent hose. It sounded like something completely different and I only tracked it down by fiddling with all the climate controls. Also if the IS300h cabin filter is in the glove box like the 2nd gen IS, as it only takes a minute, it might be worth taking it out to check it and the fan (on the 2nd IS you need to carefully follow the instructions to avoid damaging the mechanism).

Hi Roger

I think that you may not be too far off the mark - the noise has totally disappeared today so it doesn't seem to indicate that something is particularly "loose" - the rattle has gone and re-appeared in the past and if it returns I will try your suggestions. Failing that the car is booked in for two days from Thursday with the dealership. I'm convinced that it is something really minor, no one else has, either on this forum or the Amercian/Australian forums, had such a problem and the technicians at Lexus Newcastle are more than a little surprised by it.

I picked up my IS300h premier yesterday afternoon. Driving it home from the dealer, there was a slight rattle from the right hand side of the dash. When I used the car this morning, there was no sign of it all. Weird! I just hope it stays away.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/6-series/66073/video-man-smashes-his-own-bmw So BMW 6 series suffer from rattles and the video on this page shows one solution!!

I actually found that really funny. A waste maybe, but I guess it was a way to make a point and vent frustration

Not yet Charles.

Took it to the dealer on Thursday and expected to get it back within the day but it looks like it may be a difficult thing to trace and they are keeping the car until next week. I can't complain because Lexus Newcastle have given me an IS300h Luxury courtesy car, which of course doesn't make a sound. :)

It is worrying that they may have my dash in pieces on the workshop floor but they have assured me that the car won't be returned until quietness has been restored. Will report their findings next week.

Hi Wicksy, Really sorry to hear that. Have you seen this post about a dash rattle on an IS350 F Sport: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-third-generation/709727-dash-rattles-above-3500rpm.html? Does it bear any resemblance to the type of noise you hear and, if so, is it related to engine revs?

Hi Wicksy

If it helps, Toyota had one of my cars for a couple of week a few years ago, stripped it out completely inside and rebuilt it for a whole new wiring loom, which for the fault was an over kill IMO and free whilst out of warranty, They put it back together perfectly.

• Like 1

Hi Wicksy, Really sorry to hear that. Have you seen this post about a dash rattle on an IS350 F Sport: http://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-third-generation/709727-dash-rattles-above-3500rpm.html? Does it bear any resemblance to the type of noise you hear and, if so, is it related to engine revs?

Hi Roger - I'd already seen that one when trawling the web for clues - its definitely not related to engine revs - the technician at the dealership say it is very much like the rattle they had from the 2nd generation 220d. Hopefully all will be revealed and sorted tomorrow

Latest is that they need authorisation from Lexus to start warranty work on the car - it is taking longer than usual because of the car being a completely new model. Lexus Newcastle say they do know what is causing the rattle and how to cure it so once authorisation is received they will get to work. As much as I like the 300h Lux courtesy car I'm not half missing my F-Sport!

From my long and hard experience of rattles in my IS220d, I have to say this:

Don't let the dealerships take it apart YET!! Wait for others to do it first. Believe me - it's the right way. Mine was one of the first registered and they sort of used it to "learn" where these rattles came from on mine. In fact I think mine was the first diagnosed with the dreaded dash clip problems, the foam/felt in the centre speaker and the creaky seats (plastic lugs), but not until they'd had the car for about 3 to 4 weeks on and off in the first 3 months of ownership.

They used density foam to pad it out etc etc, but it only got worse over time. In the end, after 2.5 years, loads of stress, I hated the car. The buzzing from the B post etc never went and it used to drive me mad. Things like the vibrating mirror, the flat spot etc really started to grind and the camels back broke easily in the end. lol.

The car had to go and I walked away from Lexus (a sort of sabbatical).

So once again - I would re-iterate - let others take the first step, and be the benefactor of the dealerships increase in knowledge having "practiced" on someone else's car!! TSB's will come out and you'll benefit as the dealerships will go straight to the problems cause.

[i know some of you will ask how anyone would benefit if everyone followed my advice - but I really did get burned and the scars are deep]

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links