Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Rattles . . .

I took mine in yesterday to have winter tyres fitted and the rattle checked out. It should have been last week but the tyres had not arrived at the dealer. On the way to the dealer I have to drive a section of road where the rattle is always present, and there was no rattle. On the test drive with the technician, there was no rattle at all. It was only about 8 or 9 degrees here yesterday, so maybe the rattle is temperature related.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in Norway, and have had my Is300h fsport for 1 month. I noticed the rattle niose after a couple of weeks. It sounds like a grashopper or cricket. The sound is only present when the petrol engine is active. Usually when the revs is between 1500 - 2000.

The voulume is not constant. The sound seems to disapear when the Battery is not charging. The sound comes from the dash (something behind the dash)on the passenger side (passenger on the right side in norway) I have had the car at the deaers workshop twice without any result.

Unless there is something fundamental (like with the 2nd Gen IS with the dash clips) then it will be likely due to temperature, and when they come you might hear them in more than one place too. If it's something more fundamental then in all probability the noise will be there either all of the time, when that particular set of circumstances is prevalent (i.e. mechanical, or seat/steering at a certain height etc regardless of temperature).

Good luck guys - it drove me mad, but then it was because the old IS220d failed to live up to other expectations too (reliability, notchy gearbox, pretty poor economy, vibrating mirror, final drive ratio etc etc). Thankfully this new IS seems to be much better made overall so I'm sure these things are minor ailments (teethers) that Lexus will sort out asap for you. Just be persistent!

The last two days the temperature has been 4'C-6'C and the sound had been present during driving. Today the temp was 9-10'C and no sound! When i had the car at my dealers workshop, they thought they had removed the sound by stripping some wires. The reason the sound disapeared, was the heat in the workshoop. When the car was cold again, the sound reapeared. So its a clear pattern between temperature and the sound.

• 3 weeks later...

I live in Norway, and have had my Is300h fsport for 1 month. I noticed the rattle niose after a couple of weeks. It sounds like a grashopper or cricket. The sound is only present when the petrol engine is active. Usually when the revs is between 1500 - 2000.

Hi Kmart, I live in Poland and I have the same noise and exactly on revs range that you provided.

I asked the service and I've got an info that it's sound of direct injectors.

Indeed it's quite laud sound, and it takes a time to get used to it. It's probably not optimal sound isolation.

Hi

I live in Poland and I have my IS300h by 4 months.

I found strange sound and vibration after I changed tires for a winter tires.

It's happening only if engine is on low revs, 1k-1.2k, and it seems to that chassis isn't dumping engine vibration well enough. I don't know, why this effect wasn't appearing on a summer tires.

Before changing tires, I met some guy with his IS300h, and he was telling me, that car is great, but when he changed tires to winter ones, the car drives completely different, that he feels like riding on a bad tarmac. I was on summer tires, so it was clear that he has got bad tires, but I have now different tires than he has, and I have the same vibration.

Have you ever experienced it?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Kmart, I live in Poland and I have the same noise and exactly on revs range that you provided.

Indeed it's quite laud sound, and it takes a time to get used to it. It's probably not optimal sound isolation.

Hi. The sound is sometimes loud, sometimes very low, and eveen totaly gone sometimes. Usually the sound only appears above 1500 rpm, but sometimes it is present at below 1500. This should not be the case if it was the injectors. Then the sound shuld be constant.

Hi
It's happening only if engine is on low revs, 1k-1.2k, and it seems to that chassis isn't dumping engine vibration well enough. I don't know, why this effect wasn't appearing on a summer tires.
Before changing tires, I met some guy with his IS300h, and he was telling me, that car is great, but when he changed tires to winter ones, the car drives completely different, that he feels like riding on a bad tarmac. I was on summer tires, so it was clear that he has got bad tires, but I have now different tires than he has, and I have the same vibration.

No vibration in my car. on winter tyres!

Hi. The sound is sometimes loud, sometimes very low, and eveen totaly gone sometimes. Usually the sound only appears above 1500 rpm, but sometimes it is present at below 1500. This should not be the case if it was the injectors. Then the sound shuld be constant.

Hi

Hello,

I was in Lexus service and service man was carefully hearing, hi definitely told that it's "fast clicking" injector's sound and I hear them exactly as you wrote.
Best way I think, is if we'll try to record this sound and we'll exchange recordings :-). Do you hear it from the right side as I am?

Hi

I must go to the service, because it's annoying. It appear only when I'm cruising with the constant speed 70-110kmph and engine is on 1200-1400rmps. I was thinking that it's wrong tire balancing, but if I switch to a lower virtual gear and I'm keeping the speed, it disappears immediately. I meet some guy with his Is300h on the gas station, before I switched to winter tires (and this effect was unknown for me) and when I ask "how is it driving?", he sad: "on summer tires was everything perfect, on winter... this is another car! it's like riding on the grater"... I think, that it's some engine vibration resonance not well dumped.

Hi

I must go to the service, because it's annoying. It appear only when I'm cruising with the constant speed 70-110kmph and engine is on 1200-1400rmps. I was thinking that it's wrong tire balancing, but if I switch to a lower virtual gear and I'm keeping the speed, it disappears immediately. I meet some guy with his Is300h on the gas station, before I switched to winter tires (and this effect was unknown for me) and when I ask "how is it driving?", he sad: "on summer tires was everything perfect, on winter... this is another car! it's like riding on the grater"... I think, that it's some engine vibration resonance not well dumped.

I was at Lexus service yesterday. It seems that the IS 300h has a manufacturing defect! Mechanic guy heard and feels this sound and vibration form the first seconds.

Then we checked other IS 300h "demo car" from salon (on a different winter tires) - definitely there was same vibration and sound, happens on the same speed (~90) and rpms (~1300).

Hi, I'm from France with a IS300h F Sport which has already 20 000km and I have exactly the same problem of vibration and sound.

It is worst and worst with time. I have brand new Continental TS850 (225/45R17) winter tyres on Lexus Accessories Rims. The vibration and sound is very disturbing in a such quite car.

I also have some rattles on the seat belts height setting system....

Sorry for my poor english, I try to do my best to be clear and understood.

• 1 month later...

The problem with ratteling sounds is now solved on my car :)

They have isolated the injector and fuelpipes i think.??

Representatives from Lexus Norway told me that this problem is not adressed to the main office in Japan by anyone. This means that the different lexus representatives in the different countries hasnt taken the situasion seriously!

But the sound is now bearly noticeable in my car, so I am happy!

So for all of you with this problem, tell your dealer to contact Lexus Norway for the solution.

• Like 1

It would be nice from you to know exactly what have been done on your car to solve the problem...

I will talk to the mechanics and try to leave a reply with the sollution here..

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi Chaps

Well, summer is on its way back and with the rising temperatures so is my rattle :eerrrmm:

It's not quite as bad and tends to disappear once the cabin temperature has dropped so it is definitely a case of plastic expanding or contracting. I'm still convinced it is coming from the speaker cover on the top of the dash on the passenger side - if it gets any worse I will take her back in again.

Got to say though, this is the quietest and most efficient car I've ever had, it puts the Audi A5 and Evoque that I had previously to shame in that respect. If I'm honest though I am a bit disappointed with the quality of the interior - it marks so easily but the trade off for style and refinement is well worth it.

Hi Chaps

Well, summer is on its way back and with the rising temperatures so is my rattle :eerrrmm:

It's not quite as bad and tends to disappear once the cabin temperature has dropped so it is definitely a case of plastic expanding or contracting. I'm still convinced it is coming from the speaker cover on the top of the dash on the passenger side - if it gets any worse I will take her back in again.

Got to say though, this is the quietest and most efficient car I've ever had, it puts the Audi A5 and Evoque that I had previously to shame in that respect. If I'm honest though I am a bit disappointed with the quality of the interior - it marks so easily but the trade off for style and refinement is well worth it.

Usually, delicate materials are a sign of better quality. Silk vs cotton for example ;)

Hi Wicksy - as I posted before - it's no surprise!

The Gen2 had the issue, due to all of those grades of plastic (compounded by the dash clips), and alas it appears my fears when driving the new Gen3 have materialised!! It was one of the things that put me off the new Gen3 IS - as nice as it is to look at, unfortunately those hard bits of Plastic will creak as it all expands and contracts. The F Sport I drove had a definite buzzing from the passenger side glove box area (the 'box was empty).

They really should have given it a miniature GS interior, which is so well made - even now with almost 2 years under it's belt my GS doesn't a single creak or rattle anywhere.

Hope you get it sorted mate, else you'll have to live it through!

Hi Wicksy - as I posted before - it's no surprise!

The Gen2 had the issue, due to all of those grades of plastic (compounded by the dash clips), and alas it appears my fears when driving the new Gen3 have materialised!! It was one of the things that put me off the new Gen3 IS - as nice as it is to look at, unfortunately those hard bits of Plastic will creak as it all expands and contracts. The F Sport I drove had a definite buzzing from the passenger side glove box area (the 'box was empty).

They really should have given it a miniature GS interior, which is so well made - even now with almost 2 years under it's belt my GS doesn't a single creak or rattle anywhere.

Hope you get it sorted mate, else you'll have to live it through!

My RX doesnt have any rattles and the GS loaner I had in my first service has a rattle in the passenger door. It all just depends on your car. Just because its an issue in one car, doesnt mean it will be an issue in another

Very true, but if more than one person is complaining of a common problem on (lets face it) a very small number of cars sold, then you do have to worry - and I stand by my assessment of the varying grades of plastic.

The old IS was plagued by rattles and buzzing, and at least 2 dealerships I used to try and fix it commented on that very thing (i.e. plastics).

I don't get the impression that the rattles thus far are as bad as the second generation Jonas. At the moment it is nothing more than a very small annoyance which I am sure will be sorted easily now that we know it is down to temperatures - I'm also sure that it is coming from the speaker cover so surely this can be rectified? This car is light years ahead of the 2nd gen regarding refinement and the silence adds to any small noise or squeak that you may hear from time to time.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Chaps

How's the rattle Wicksy? I have a horrible feeling that mine is developing one around the same area you described - the speaker cover on the passenger side dash. I've nearly 10k on the clock so a service due anytime and if it hasn't disappeared Lexus can have a good look at it. I'm hoping it will disappear on its' own of course...