Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Screw In Tyre

james250

I noticed a strange sound while driving and realised its coming from a wheel when spinning. So when i stop i checked it and noticed a half broken head screw still sticking out about 5mm so i was able to grab it with a plier and twist it out. I was expecting to have air coming out. Considering how big the hole is i was surprised that no air was coming out. It's been a few hours since and tyre still looks like its on the correct pressure. The screw was on the highest point of the tyre tread and not in any of the grooves, so i am assuming maybe it didn't penetrate through to the final layer of the tyre.

Question is, is it safe to drive if after 24hrs no air has been lost? does this hole weaken the tyre? Also, i am quite surprised that the entire screw didn't go into the tyre as i probably drove the car for about 20 or so miles before i got home and realised the noise was from a screw. I'm surprise that the force of that drive didn't push the screw in all the way.

Any advice?

Thanks

I had a similar situation a while ago and rather than risk pulling it out and hearing that familiar hiss I popped into my local tyre fitters .

The guy took a look then proceeded to pull out the screw and no air escaped so he said that's OK it's not gone through and the hole will close up so don't worry.

Never did go flat or produce any problems.

Not advising you here but just telling my story for you to make your own mind up.