Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh dear! Just gone to dear Lexi and she has a huge crack in the screen. Having read through various threads on this subject foremost is making sure you get an OEM screen, that's probably going to be a battle in itself but how would I know the screen they bring is in fact direct from Lexus?

Mike

No, you don't need a dealer part screen. Many people like to insist on having a dealer part because they believe their car make is better than another car make, but in reality there's just as much chance of a Ford Fiesta windscreen leaking as there is an Aston Martin - or Lexus for that matter. I get it all the time from Porsche, Merc, Bentley owners (among others, also including Lexus owners), although interestingly, I don't get it often, if at all, from Ford owners (except the RS owners/fanatics mind), Vauxhall, Nissan, Renault, etc owners...

The truth of the matter is that bad fitting causes leaks, not the windscreen itself, in most cases. Sure, there are cases of faulty glass or components, but these are 1) few and far between and 2) there's just as much chance of the glass coming from a dealer having a defect, as there is the glass coming from a replacement company. Why? Well, for the most part, the glass is all made in the same place. It's then silk-printed differently depending where it's going to end up. Replacement companies, and the suppliers that supply them, cannot sell glass with dealer logo's on, unless that glass has been bought from a dealer. So only dealer allocated glass gets Ford, or Lexus, or BMW, logos printed on them.

No, you don't need a dealer part screen. Many people like to insist on having a dealer part because they believe their car make is better than another car make, but in reality there's just as much chance of a Ford Fiesta windscreen leaking as there is an Aston Martin - or Lexus for that matter. I get it all the time from Porsche, Merc, Bentley owners (among others, also including Lexus owners), although interestingly, I don't get it often, if at all, from Ford owners (except the RS owners/fanatics mind), Vauxhall, Nissan, Renault, etc owners...

The truth of the matter is that bad fitting causes leaks, not the windscreen itself, in most cases. Sure, there are cases of faulty glass or components, but these are 1) few and far between and 2) there's just as much chance of the glass coming from a dealer having a defect, as there is the glass coming from a replacement company. Why? Well, for the most part, the glass is all made in the same place. It's then silk-printed differently depending where it's going to end up. Replacement companies, and the suppliers that supply them, cannot sell glass with dealer logo's on, unless that glass has been bought from a dealer. So only dealer allocated glass gets Ford, or Lexus, or BMW, logos printed on them.

Many thanks. I will get straight onto it Mon am. Mike

I've noticed over the years my windscreen excess has gone up from the usual £50.00 to £80.00 this time, any one else noticed this?

Thanks Royt

Mine went up to £70 a couple of years back. They make fortunes out of supplying and fitting these screens.

Mike

My windscreen excess is £100 this year compared to £50 last year. I Had a stone chip repaired, that might have something to do with it? :(

Where is the point in having anything insured if when you claim they charge you for it the following year. They are nothing but a bunch of thieving con artists. I wont be drawn any further on the subject. Mike

My windscreen excess is £100 this year compared to £50 last year. I Had a stone chip repaired, that might have something to do with it? :(

Where is the point in having anything insured if when you claim they charge you for it the following year. They are nothing but a bunch of thieving con artists. I wont be drawn any further on the subject. Mike

Totally agree with you.

Nope. Just insurance companies passing on price increases to us motorists. Your excess would have gone up regardless of you having a stone chip done (and for what it's worth, stone cost the insurance companies naff all, and it's much, much cheaper than having a windscreen replaced). You can blame fuel prices for the increase. Costs more in energy to make the glass, then costs more in fuel to ship it overseas, then costs more diesel to drive it from the boat to the distribution places, then costs more in diesel to drive it to the local business', then costs more in fuel for the windscreen replacement companies to pick it up and drive to the customer = cost of glass replacement goes up to the insurance companies. So they pass that increase onto you where they can.

Economy 101

Windscreen replacement excess seems to have gradually crept up but now windscreen repairs, which were not subject to any excess, now seem to have begun attracting excess too.

Nope. Just insurance companies passing on price increases to us motorists. Your excess would have gone up regardless of you having a stone chip done (and for what it's worth, stone cost the insurance companies naff all, and it's much, much cheaper than having a windscreen replaced). You can blame fuel prices for the increase. Costs more in energy to make the glass, then costs more in fuel to ship it overseas, then costs more diesel to drive it from the boat to the distribution places, then costs more in diesel to drive it to the local business', then costs more in fuel for the windscreen replacement companies to pick it up and drive to the customer = cost of glass replacement goes up to the insurance companies. So they pass that increase onto you where they can.

Economy 101

Where are these windscreen making companies geographically based?

Mike

Windscreen replacement excess seems to have gradually crept up but now windscreen repairs, which were not subject to any excess, now seem to have begun attracting excess too.

I have noticed that these companies are not interested at all in repairing which is why they give you the third degree on the phone.

I have had a tiny chip out of my screen for as long as I have owned my car, 3 1/2 years, no this is not where the windscreen has cracked that's the other side of the screen. This original chip is smaller than the one shown in their adverts and they just turned round on 4 occasions and say no its not repairable, con artists.

The entire industry is nothing more than a bunch of thieves and con artists, I wont be drawn any further on the subject. Mike

Economy 101

Where are these windscreen making companies geographically based?

Mike

What do you mean? Why are the companies that make windscreens not all based in the UK? Because, like everything else, it's cheaper to buy stuff in from outside the UK than it is to make it here. Why do you think we import coal rather than use the insane amounts of coal we have buried in our own country? And why nearly everything you buy is made in China or Taiwan? Also, windscreens are a global product; we aren't the only country that needs them - other countries do too. So they are made in one place, and shipped to other places. Just for info, most windscreens and car glass is made in South Africa, but there are a few plants in the UK, and Norway, the US, India, and I'm sure China and Japan too, along with other countries in Asia.

I have noticed that these companies are not interested at all in repairing which is why they give you the third degree on the phone.

I have had a tiny chip out of my screen for as long as I have owned my car, 3 1/2 years, no this is not where the windscreen has cracked that's the other side of the screen. This original chip is smaller than the one shown in their adverts and they just turned round on 4 occasions and say no its not repairable, con artists.

The entire industry is nothing more than a bunch of thieves and con artists, I wont be drawn any further on the subject. Mike

But you just have.....?

Why are you dreading it? Do you dread also taking to Lexus to have any work done on it? How about the faith you had in Profess Gas when they converted it?

Apart from installing a new Battery Lexus have never touched the car but if they did have the car I wouldn't dread them having it as they have always shown to be thoroughly professional, in contrast to that the only dealings I have ever had with windscreen replacement companies have been painful. One fitted the wrong screen for the car and I only got the correct one fitted after taking the car to their head office where they eventually agreed to fit the correct one. That 24 hours replacement took 3 months.

Why would you bring Profess into it? too cause trouble? I have a great deal of faith in Profess despite their recent problem with Leon leaving them. But I have the same confidence in them as I would anyone who demonstrate they can do a good job and do it right the 1st time.

I trust this doesn't upset your plans for any further argument. Mike

I used the Lexus name, because it's widely regarded they are trusted as the best to work on you (our) car(s). I brought up the Profess name because it's something to link directly to you, and not a generalisation. Why bring them up? Because you clearly trust them, and have faith in them being professional and doing a good job.

Just as I would expect you to trust a windscreen replacement, and have faith in them doing a good job. To tarnish the entire profession because you had one bad experience, is quite unfair. Should I take offence, as you're tarnishing me with that brush too?

And no, it doesn't upset my plans for further argument. Mainly because I'm not having an argument. You might be, but I understand the difference between adult discussion, and arguing.

I used the Lexus name, because it's widely regarded they are trusted as the best to work on you (our) car(s). I brought up the Profess name because it's something to link directly to you, and not a generalisation. Why bring them up? Because you clearly trust them, and have faith in them being professional and doing a good job.

Just as I would expect you to trust a windscreen replacement, and have faith in them doing a good job. To tarnish the entire profession because you had one bad experience, is quite unfair. Should I take offence, as you're tarnishing me with that brush too?

And no, it doesn't upset my plans for further argument. Mainly because I'm not having an argument. You might be, but I understand the difference between adult discussion, and arguing.

Why would I trust any windscreen replacement companies I have dealt with (you didn't read it correctly) has ended up in grief.

The ball is in your court. Mike

The ball is in my court? Why are you trying to bait me into an argument? Are you incapable of having a mature, rational discussion, without trying to make it a "win" situation?

I did read it correctly; I even quoted it. Because you have had a bad experience, you are painting the entire industry as incompetent. I take offence at that; at being called incompetent.

Now, if what you are saying is you used x company before, and were dissatisfied, and you are using the same company again, then more fool you.

Oh, here's your ball back. I don't need it - thanks! :)

The ball is in my court? Why are you trying to bait me into an argument? Are you incapable of having a mature, rational discussion, without trying to make it a "win" situation?

I did read it correctly; I even quoted it. Because you have had a bad experience, you are painting the entire industry as incompetent. I take offence at that; at being called incompetent.

Now, if what you are saying is you used x company before, and were dissatisfied, and you are using the same company again, then more fool you.

Oh, here's your ball back. I don't need it - thanks! :)

As the windscreen will be replaced through my insurance company I get no choice as to who replaces it.

Not baiting you into an argument.

Not bothered if I win or lose or though it clearly matters to you.

Whether you take offense to what you feel is an untarnished industry is up to you. For lots of other people there are a lot of cowboys in the industry.

More fool me. I refer to my reply earlier.

Thanks for the ball back the dogs are having great game with it. Mike

As the windscreen will be replaced through my insurance company I get no choice as to who replaces it.

Yes you do.

Not baiting you into an argument.

Not bothered if I win or lose or though it clearly matters to you.

And there it is again. That childish attempt to try and crawl under my skin and get an argumentative reaction...

Whether you take offense to what you feel is an untarnished industry is up to you. For lots of other people there are a lot of cowboys in the industry.

Why shouldn't I take offence at you calling me a cowboy?

More fool me. I refer to my reply earlier.

And I refer you to mine. Do your homework before making blanket statements.

Yet another exchange of words that are going nowhere I'm afraid. If only I could have as many discussions with my recent posts regarding my cars current problems, I may have been able to get mine sorted by now.

Phil :(

• Like 5

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links