Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oh dear !!

Arrival was booked for today between 8am and midday. 11.30am phone rings, "wont be today as fitter called in ill" Fair enough but they new that at 8am this morning so why & wait until 11.30 to tell me. Fair enough I wont be running to the legal eagles, so far the windscreen replacement industry is delivering down to my expectations.

Mike

Most likely because they will have tried to shift jobs around to other fitters to take up the slack on the out-of-plan jobs, so as to minimise re-bookings. This is standard procedure, and it takes time to re-plan all the work across 3/4/5/6+ fitters in an area, set up logistics for collecting the glass, and advise customers. Sadly, that doesn't take 5 minutes, and depending on the workload/locations/glass delivery, it can take several hours. It would have been far quicker, and easier, to just ring the 5 or 6, or more, customers that fitter had booked that day, and rebook all of them. Even that would have taken best part of an hour, as customers love to argue and be difficult, thinking they will get what they want if they do so. Sadly, in reality, they don't - I've had customers scream and shout at me, often quite abusively, when I've arrived to them with the wrong screen (even when it's their fault, not ours/mine) thinking that if they swear at me enough, and shout louder, I'll suddenly be able to magically make the correct screen appear. Which is rather foolish, as I couldn't possibly do that.

Common sense details and ideas in how you would have handled it. No swearing or abuse on my part all that ever gets is the phone being put down on you. That doesn't mean I didn't point out to them how poor their customer service was at AA Auto Windshields.

Booked again for next Wednesday between 12 & 4pm.

Watch this space Mike

What exactly did you point out as being poor about the customer service? And how would you have handled it?

I would have done the same as you and rung those customers this engineer was booked for immediately to cancel and rebook. The person cant help being ill, how ever had they have contacted us 1st thing in the morning I would have been miffed but I could have got on with other things.

I have no time for people being abusive and aggressive but do understand why people in this country do it. We have built up a culture where no one is responsible for anything anymore, the customer is the very last person given any thought too. Take Ryan Airs Michael O'Leary, he is openly rude to his customers and gets away with it, and he's making a small fortune by doing it. This just shows and demonstrates to other companies that you can be rude and that you don't have to show any courtesy or politeness, and so it goes on and on like a plague and ends up like a cancer just eating away at our society.

Until this problem is addressed in a professional manner things will just get even worse, if that's possible.

I started, built and ran several businesses and the customers were always King whether commercial or private customers and of course sometimes I had to deliver news to people that was going to be hard to swallow but after the initial communication the sting was taken out of the tail and everyone was able to make other arrangements and get on with their lives.

Well you did ask.

Here's to next Wednesday. Mike

• Like 1

Sorry, you've misunderstood me. I did not say, nor infer, I would ring the customers first thing and rebook them. To state for the record, that's what I would NOT do. Why? Because I know that there is a waiting list for bookings, and what happens if I rebook a customer for a weeks time, then we turn up and it's raining and can't be done? They need to be rebooked again. Then the following week, it's raining again. Rebooked. The fourth week, I overrun on a problem job and run out of time to fulfil all my jobs that day. Yet again, rebook.

Rebooking is the last option, and it's not good business practice to do so, so it's avoided wherever possible. What actually happens, is the controllers will call round the other fitters, move jobs about, and see if the fitter(s) are willing to run over and work late to facilitate getting all the jobs done. I get asked it quite a lot, and I do it when I can. But obviously, I have commitments myself, so I can't work every hour in the day, so sometimes customers do have to be rebooked. As you were.

But if it's at all feasible, all windscreen companies (and non windscreen companies) will endeavour to keep the appointment and do the job.

As for abusive customers, I agree with you. There is NEVER a cause to be rude or abusive to the fitter; mainly because it's rarely ever the fitters fault. Even if it's the company the fitter works for that's at fault, 99% of the time, that is out of the fitters control. Shouting and swearing at the fitter achieves nothing, other than it pisses me off, and as a result, I tend not to do everything I can to help them out. On the other hand, customers that are respectful. polite, and easy going, I tend to bend over backwards to help them out. For example, recently I arrived at my last customer to change the screen on his 307. This customer lived less than 2 miles from me, so had everything gone smoothly, I would have finished, completed, and been walking through my door 15 mins early. Sadly, when I got there, the screen I'd brought had cracked whilst on the van. The customer was naturally disappointed, but remained calm, polite and understanding; his worse "It's glass - it's fragile. These things happen". So I rang up to advise my ops, found the next appointment was a week away. The customer needed the screen replacing by the next day as he had an MoT booked (this is another sore point to me; if you need a windscreen doing before an MoT, don't leave it till 2 days before (or as many do, the very day before) because if anything goes wrong - weather, wrong glass, over-running, sick fitters, etc - you won't get it done. You know it needs doing, so book it a month in advance, if at all possible). Anyway, because my customer remained polite and understanding, and even admitted it was his fault for leaving it so long to get it booked before the MoT, I actually drove past my house, a further 25 miles down into London, picked up a new screen, 25 miles back again (which took over an hour in itself, thanks to rush hour) and then began fitting the screen about 5 mins before I was due to finish my shift. End result, I got home over an hour late (for no extra pay I might add, so there was no ulterior motive behind it) but the customer remained happy, got his screen done, and subsequently his MoT.

Anyway, back to my previous question; the poor customer service you pointed out when you were called to be rebooked - what were those points? That you weren't called in the morning first thing and had your appointment cancelled? I'm sorry, I don't find that poor customer service. In fact, I find spending 3 or 4 hours trying to find a way to get your job done and your appointment kept, is actually very good customer service. And had it worked out, you'd have been none the wiser; you wouldn't have got a call from someone glory-hunting for praise at keeping your appointment in the face of adversity - everyone would have just got on and done it. Sadly it didn't work out - these things happen.

Just a thought but maybe a call to the customer, as soon as the problem is known, advising the problem and assuring them that you are doing your utmost to find a solution would be a good way forward. If no solution found and you have to cancel then at least the customer is aware that there was a problem and an attempt was made to rectify it so would not feel so let down.

• Like 1

Sorry, you've misunderstood me. I did not say, nor infer, I would ring the customers first thing and rebook them. To state for the record, that's what I would NOT do. Why? Because I know that there is a waiting list for bookings, and what happens if I rebook a customer for a weeks time, then we turn up and it's raining and can't be done? They need to be rebooked again. Then the following week, it's raining again. Rebooked. The fourth week, I overrun on a problem job and run out of time to fulfil all my jobs that day. Yet again, rebook.

Rebooking is the last option, and it's not good business practice to do so, so it's avoided wherever possible. What actually happens, is the controllers will call round the other fitters, move jobs about, and see if the fitter(s) are willing to run over and work late to facilitate getting all the jobs done. I get asked it quite a lot, and I do it when I can. But obviously, I have commitments myself, so I can't work every hour in the day, so sometimes customers do have to be rebooked. As you were.

But if it's at all feasible, all windscreen companies (and non windscreen companies) will endeavour to keep the appointment and do the job.

As for abusive customers, I agree with you. There is NEVER a cause to be rude or abusive to the fitter; mainly because it's rarely ever the fitters fault. Even if it's the company the fitter works for that's at fault, 99% of the time, that is out of the fitters control. Shouting and swearing at the fitter achieves nothing, other than it pisses me off, and as a result, I tend not to do everything I can to help them out. On the other hand, customers that are respectful. polite, and easy going, I tend to bend over backwards to help them out. For example, recently I arrived at my last customer to change the screen on his 307. This customer lived less than 2 miles from me, so had everything gone smoothly, I would have finished, completed, and been walking through my door 15 mins early. Sadly, when I got there, the screen I'd brought had cracked whilst on the van. The customer was naturally disappointed, but remained calm, polite and understanding; his worse "It's glass - it's fragile. These things happen". So I rang up to advise my ops, found the next appointment was a week away. The customer needed the screen replacing by the next day as he had an MoT booked (this is another sore point to me; if you need a windscreen doing before an MoT, don't leave it till 2 days before (or as many do, the very day before) because if anything goes wrong - weather, wrong glass, over-running, sick fitters, etc - you won't get it done. You know it needs doing, so book it a month in advance, if at all possible). Anyway, because my customer remained polite and understanding, and even admitted it was his fault for leaving it so long to get it booked before the MoT, I actually drove past my house, a further 25 miles down into London, picked up a new screen, 25 miles back again (which took over an hour in itself, thanks to rush hour) and then began fitting the screen about 5 mins before I was due to finish my shift. End result, I got home over an hour late (for no extra pay I might add, so there was no ulterior motive behind it) but the customer remained happy, got his screen done, and subsequently his MoT.

Anyway, back to my previous question; the poor customer service you pointed out when you were called to be rebooked - what were those points? That you weren't called in the morning first thing and had your appointment cancelled? I'm sorry, I don't find that poor customer service. In fact, I find spending 3 or 4 hours trying to find a way to get your job done and your appointment kept, is actually very good customer service. And had it worked out, you'd have been none the wiser; you wouldn't have got a call from someone glory-hunting for praise at keeping your appointment in the face of adversity - everyone would have just got on and done it. Sadly it didn't work out - these things happen.

That's one of the longest posts I've ever read! And with fine grammar and punctuation if I may say so. Can I also say that the world will end one day, it would be nice if you two could agree to differ before it does. :mellow:

• Like 1

As the first booking was made a 8 days before today shooting your raining argument out of the window. Considering the length of your reply I assume your not the busiest window replacement operative in the country.

End of story as far as you are concerned here, now go a trawl through some other posts and take your frustration out on them. Mike

Just a thought but maybe a call to the customer, as soon as the problem is known, advising the problem and assuring them that you are doing your utmost to find a solution would be a good way forward. If no solution found and you have to cancel then at least the customer is aware that there was a problem and an attempt was made to rectify it so would not feel so let down.

Too much common sense there. That would never work? Mike

That's one of the longest posts I've ever read! And with fine grammar and punctuation if I may say so. Can I also say that the world will end one day, it would be nice if you two could agree to differ before it does. :mellow:

I cant be bothered with him any more. God only knows what I have done to him. Mike

As the first booking was made a 8 days before today shooting your raining argument out of the window. Considering the length of your reply I assume your not the busiest window replacement operative in the country.

End of story as far as you are concerned here, now go a trawl through some other posts and take your frustration out on them. Mike

I'm not busy at all currently - I'm on a much deserved week off :) PLease explain - how does your booking being 8 days before this one change anything, exactly? (I must add again, as you seem to not be able to comprehend it - I'm not arguing with you).

Why do you think I'm frustrated? Frustrated at what exactly?

I cant be bothered with him any more. God only knows what I have done to him. Mike

You haven't done anything to me. You write about it as if you've ticked me off, and I'm seeking some kind of retribution or retaliation? Not the case at all - as I've tried to explain several times. I'm only giving you an actual working insight into the industry you are damning and slagging off, with blanket and ignorant statements (I should clarify, as I don't want you to misinterpret that as an attack - I mean ignorant in terms of you don't know what you are talking about, because you aren't involved in this industry, and have no working knowledge of it)

Thank you. I've written far longer though - I just like to get my points across in a clear, concise, and mature fashion, using examples and experiences where possible.

You haven't done anything to me. You write about it as if you've ticked me off, and I'm seeking some kind of retribution or retaliation? Not the case at all - as I've tried to explain several times. I'm only giving you an actual working insight into the industry you are damning and slagging off, with blanket and ignorant statements (I should clarify, as I don't want you to misinterpret that as an attack - I mean ignorant in terms of you don't know what you are talking about, because you aren't involved in this industry, and have no working knowledge of it)

I am just not interested in how your industry runs and I don't have too As a customer all I want is my windscreen changed and that is something that your industry demonstrates over and over together with lots of other rotten industries in this country and that is the customer that pays your wages is at the bottom of the pile. This is something you have demonstrated in what you said would do with what happened today. All you demonstrated is what you the fitter and the company wanted first long before any thought is given to me the customer who pays your wages and makes your company profitable to keep you employed with wages every week/monthly.

The trouble is you are all so blind to this and believe all the rhetoric you preach and so it goes on right through the company from top too bottom like a cancer. It will change one day and people like you will be put out into the cold and you'll be saying what did I do wrong.

In the States you would have been put out in the cold long ago. End of.

As a by the by its interesting to note that all though the odd person complains about two people going at it, have a look at the viewing figures on this type of thread, I really think we should start pulling advertising revenue by attracting so many readers.

I do much prefer the more light hearted banter that is the norm thank goodness.

Mike.

I am just not interested in how your industry runs and I don't have too As a customer all I want is my windscreen changed and that is something that your industry demonstrates over and over together with lots of other rotten industries in this country and that is the customer that pays your wages is at the bottom of the pile. This is something you have demonstrated in what you said would do with what happened today. All you demonstrated is what you the fitter and the company wanted first long before any thought is given to me the customer who pays your wages and makes your company profitable to keep you employed with wages every week/monthly.

The trouble is you are all so blind to this and believe all the rhetoric you preach and so it goes on right through the company from top too bottom like a cancer. It will change one day and people like you will be put out into the cold and you'll be saying what did I do wrong.

That doesn't make any sense at all. You're complaining about people, in a company, trying to KEEP your appointment and NOT rebook you for a later date (which as I mentioned before, could result in your being rescheduled on a day it rains, meaning you could be rebooked again later on)? How is NOT wanting to rebook you for a later date, and trying the utmost to find a solution to keep your existing appointment, putting the customer last?

Why exactly will I be put out in the cold? For trying to best serve a customer? I think not...

And we aren't in the States. Why would being in the US mean I'm "put out in the cold" ?

As a by the by its interesting to note that all though the odd person complains about two people going at it, have a look at the viewing figures on this type of thread, I really think we should start pulling advertising revenue by attracting so many readers.

Mike.

Again with the "going at it". Why are you so insistent this is an argument/attack/headbutt? I've stated many times it's not. At least, not on my part. If you are unable to rationalise having a conversation without convincing yourself it's an argument or "fight", I can't help that. I can only re-iterate (multiple times) that it's not. I'm sorry you feel that way.

And advertising revenue for what exactly? I haven't mentioned any company names....

That doesn't make any sense at all. You're complaining about people, in a company, trying to KEEP your appointment and NOT rebook you for a later date (which as I mentioned before, could result in your being rescheduled on a day it rains, meaning you could be rebooked again later on)? How is NOT wanting to rebook you for a later date, and trying the utmost to find a solution to keep your existing appointment, putting the customer last?

Why exactly will I be put out in the cold? For trying to best serve a customer? I think not...

And we aren't in the States. Why would being in the US mean I'm "put out in the cold" ?

>As a by the by its interesting to note that all though the odd person complains about two people going at it, have a look at the viewing figures on this type of thread, I really think we should start pulling advertising revenue by attracting so many readers.

Mike.

Again with the "going at it". Why are you so insistent this is an argument/attack/headbutt? I've stated many times it's not. At least, not on my part. If you are unable to rationalise having a conversation without convincing yourself it's an argument or "fight", I can't help that. I can only re-iterate (multiple times) that it's not. I'm sorry you feel that way.

And advertising revenue for what exactly? I haven't mentioned any company names....

Go and TROLL somewhere else.

Have you not figured out forums or something? Posting relevant, insightful, and useful information about a particular topic isn't trolling. However not having an answer or being able to compile a mature and useful answer or rebuttal is. Hmm....

Also, not really a nice thing to continually attack and chastise me after I post to help you, is it. How ungrateful...

Mike.

Agreed some of the recent goings on here are better than a Jerry Springer show .

On the windscreen replacement front I have had a couple replaced and one repaired in the past and had no problems .

The last one was about three years ago on my Mk2 ,they did it in the pouring rain by erecting a marquee around the car .

They were nice guys who did a good job ,so if they can do it why would an appointment have to be cancelled because of rain Matt ?

Have you not figured out forums or something? Posting relevant, insightful, and useful information about a particular topic isn't trolling. However not having an answer or being able to compile a mature and useful answer or rebuttal is. Hmm....

Also, not really a nice thing to continually attack and chastise me after I post to help you, is it. How ungrateful...

Do you think the world has to be grateful to you. You might think you are the best window fitter in town but you have a mighty chip on your shoulder and you definitely suffer with Paranoia. I will agree with you that I am wrong 100% along with the rest of the world and you are correct 100% in your own mind anyway.

Now I am off to enjoy my lovely Lexus LS400 Mike

Mike.

Agreed some of the recent goings on here are better than a Jerry Springer show .

On the windscreen replacement front I have had a couple replaced and one repaired in the past and had no problems .

The last one was about three years ago on my Mk2 ,they did it in the pouring rain by erecting a marquee around the car .

They were nice guys who did a good job ,so if they can do it why would an appointment have to be cancelled because of rain Matt ?

Many reasons. First and foremost, location. It's not always suitable to set up a canopy in the location the job is it. Many times I find myself unable to set up a canopy because of where the car is parked on the street, a particularly uneven surface, too small a driveway, and so on. The proper (and only "allowed" way to erect the canopy, is to do it on flat ground, ideally concrete but grass will do at a push, in a location where the car can fit under it, and the van can be parked along side). The reason for this is there is a kick plate that fits round one of the legs, on which you have to park one of the vans wheels. This is to secure it down against wind, and you have to park the van on the kick plate on the side the wind is coming from. This isn't always possible. It's great if someone has a nice large driveway with plenty of room, or you're in a carpark or the like, but many people have single driveways, or street only parking, where it's not suitable, or even possible to park two vehicles side by side.

Not only that, but it still isn't advisable to do a windscreen in the rain. First off, the car is (most often) already wet. You'll never complete dry a car, and the amount of times I've erected a canopy, and dried as much of the car as possible, then had to continue battling running water that likes to collect and flow out from under roof rails/strips and down the aperture, which is exactly the part that needs to be kept dry in order for the primer and glue to stick properly. Secondly, depending on the weather type, even a canopy won't keep a car dry. Rain doesn't always come straight down, and especially the mist/drizzle rain (the type that doesn't even appear heavy, and customers always, ignorantly, say "oh it's not raining much") tends to blow in the breeze and wind, and float in the air - coating everything in water. Thirdly, there's rare anywhere to put the windscreen. Again, customers are generally ignorant to how we do our job, what's involved and what's needed, so never think about the new screen getting wet. A wet screen is as good as doing it in an open downpour. You can cover the car as much as you like, and dry it like a bone, but a wet screen makes all that redundant. Next, not every car is as simple as plonking a screen into a gap, on top of some glue. Of course, as I've said before, customers are generally ignorant to this, and I'd not expect anyone other than a windscreen fitter to know about trims that need to adhere to glass to be fitted, parts that need to be taped down or glued on, cars with scuttles that require double sided sticky tape to secure them, or (for example) the gen 1 Ford Focus, that needs the passenger side of the scuttle bonding to the screen edge - because the design, a poor one that was changed as soon as the gen 2 came out - meant that if it wasn't, water would run down the outside of the screen, under the scuttle, and directly into a pollen filter, leak into the car and create a swimming pool in the front and back footwells. If you're trying to clean, dry, and bond to both the scuttle and glass when it's raining, even under cover, it's just not going to happen. I know this from experience.

Also, the type of car can restrict what is done and not under a canopy. Many vans for example cannot be done under it (heigh wise). Certain cars that need the screens lifted or "swung in" in a certain way can't be done under it. And I'd never advise a cabriolet that needs the roof down to do the job (such as an Audi A4 or A5 cabriolet, or the 307cc) to be done under it. Whilst the canopy does offer protection from direct rain, having the roof down on an Audi A4 cab, with it's nice leather interior and the entire screen surround stripped, exposing all the naked connectors and wiring, for an hour and a half, with so much moisture and blown in rain, really isn't a good idea.

Wind is also a problem, and it's very common for it to be windy when it rains. The canopy's are made from very light aluminium, and have to be secured as I mentioned earlier with the van wheel. You're not allowed to use the wheel of a customers car, and the other three legs are only secured using fairly light weight weights. The reason for the light weight'ness is because it has to be portable, and manageable by just one person (rarely do we ever work in teams these days, it's nearly all solo), and of course to weight-save on fuel costs as it rides around in the van when not being used. Of course, this is detrimental to the stability of the canopy, and it doesn't have to be strong winds to make it into a kite. So if it's used without the van being parked on it, which is the only recommended way, and it's caught by the wind, lifted, and scrapes the paint on a customers car, who is to blame? No one, except the fitter.

Fitters that care about the work they do, and fitters that have been doing it long enough, will know when it is and isn't applicable to use a canopy. I've used it many times, but equally as many times I haven't been able to use it.

Do you think the world has to be grateful to you. You might think you are the best window fitter in town but you have a mighty chip on your shoulder and you definitely suffer with Paranoia. I will agree with you that I am wrong 100% along with the rest of the world and you are correct 100% in your own mind anyway.

Now I am off to enjoy my lovely Lexus LS400 Mike

Of course not. What a silly thing to say; I'm advising you, not the rest of the world. I think you'll find, if you care to read back through this thread from the beginning, that I came on to offer advice and answer your questions. You've then decided, strangely and seemingly without reason, to take that advice and information as an attack, or argument, towards you.

I can assure you I have no chip on my shoulder, and I'm certainly not paranoid (but please, highlight and elaborate on why you think I'm paranoid. Give some examples too, it's always useful to illustrate one's point, so as to refrain from making unfounded points that aren't back-able)

You also don't have to agree with me at all. You're fully entitled to your own opinion. It's wrong, but you're fully entitled to it.

I also don't think I'm the best fitter in town, no. I'm not a prideful person, and I personally know fitters that are better than me. With all that said, I do know my own abilities, and I take pride in my work, and do it to the best of my ability. I always work on the ethos of "if it was my car, this is how I'd like it to be treated" - no matter of it's a £50,000 Bentley or a £500 Fiesta. If you're not going to bother trying to do it right, correct, and well - then don't bother doing it at all. That's how I look at things. Sadly, I can't say the same for everyone, but it'd be nice if everyone applied that thinking to their work, and lives. I think the world would be a better place for it :)

Just use the windscreen company your insurer directs you. Then when you call the glass company to arrange the fitting, give them the full info, and tell them if the windcreen is a heated and rain sensor equipt one, ( you will find that info in your Lexus handbook) then they will sort the rest out. Easy.

Just use the windscreen company your insurer directs you. Then when you call the glass company to arrange the fitting, give them the full info, and tell them if the windcreen is a heated and rain sensor equipt one, ( you will find that info in your Lexus handbook) then they will sort the rest out. Easy.

I have.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links