Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

As a by the by its interesting to note that all though the odd person complains about two people going at it, have a look at the viewing figures on this type of thread, I really think we should start pulling advertising revenue by attracting so many readers.

I do much prefer the more light hearted banter that is the norm thank goodness.

Mike.

Agreed some of the recent goings on here are better than a Jerry Springer show .

On the windscreen replacement front I have had a couple replaced and one repaired in the past and had no problems .

The last one was about three years ago on my Mk2 ,they did it in the pouring rain by erecting a marquee around the car .

They were nice guys who did a good job ,so if they can do it why would an appointment have to be cancelled because of rain Matt ?

Many reasons. First and foremost, location. It's not always suitable to set up a canopy in the location the job is it. Many times I find myself unable to set up a canopy because of where the car is parked on the street, a particularly uneven surface, too small a driveway, and so on. The proper (and only "allowed" way to erect the canopy, is to do it on flat ground, ideally concrete but grass will do at a push, in a location where the car can fit under it, and the van can be parked along side). The reason for this is there is a kick plate that fits round one of the legs, on which you have to park one of the vans wheels. This is to secure it down against wind, and you have to park the van on the kick plate on the side the wind is coming from. This isn't always possible. It's great if someone has a nice large driveway with plenty of room, or you're in a carpark or the like, but many people have single driveways, or street only parking, where it's not suitable, or even possible to park two vehicles side by side.

Not only that, but it still isn't advisable to do a windscreen in the rain. First off, the car is (most often) already wet. You'll never complete dry a car, and the amount of times I've erected a canopy, and dried as much of the car as possible, then had to continue battling running water that likes to collect and flow out from under roof rails/strips and down the aperture, which is exactly the part that needs to be kept dry in order for the primer and glue to stick properly. Secondly, depending on the weather type, even a canopy won't keep a car dry. Rain doesn't always come straight down, and especially the mist/drizzle rain (the type that doesn't even appear heavy, and customers always, ignorantly, say "oh it's not raining much") tends to blow in the breeze and wind, and float in the air - coating everything in water. Thirdly, there's rare anywhere to put the windscreen. Again, customers are generally ignorant to how we do our job, what's involved and what's needed, so never think about the new screen getting wet. A wet screen is as good as doing it in an open downpour. You can cover the car as much as you like, and dry it like a bone, but a wet screen makes all that redundant. Next, not every car is as simple as plonking a screen into a gap, on top of some glue. Of course, as I've said before, customers are generally ignorant to this, and I'd not expect anyone other than a windscreen fitter to know about trims that need to adhere to glass to be fitted, parts that need to be taped down or glued on, cars with scuttles that require double sided sticky tape to secure them, or (for example) the gen 1 Ford Focus, that needs the passenger side of the scuttle bonding to the screen edge - because the design, a poor one that was changed as soon as the gen 2 came out - meant that if it wasn't, water would run down the outside of the screen, under the scuttle, and directly into a pollen filter, leak into the car and create a swimming pool in the front and back footwells. If you're trying to clean, dry, and bond to both the scuttle and glass when it's raining, even under cover, it's just not going to happen. I know this from experience.

Also, the type of car can restrict what is done and not under a canopy. Many vans for example cannot be done under it (heigh wise). Certain cars that need the screens lifted or "swung in" in a certain way can't be done under it. And I'd never advise a cabriolet that needs the roof down to do the job (such as an Audi A4 or A5 cabriolet, or the 307cc) to be done under it. Whilst the canopy does offer protection from direct rain, having the roof down on an Audi A4 cab, with it's nice leather interior and the entire screen surround stripped, exposing all the naked connectors and wiring, for an hour and a half, with so much moisture and blown in rain, really isn't a good idea.

Wind is also a problem, and it's very common for it to be windy when it rains. The canopy's are made from very light aluminium, and have to be secured as I mentioned earlier with the van wheel. You're not allowed to use the wheel of a customers car, and the other three legs are only secured using fairly light weight weights. The reason for the light weight'ness is because it has to be portable, and manageable by just one person (rarely do we ever work in teams these days, it's nearly all solo), and of course to weight-save on fuel costs as it rides around in the van when not being used. Of course, this is detrimental to the stability of the canopy, and it doesn't have to be strong winds to make it into a kite. So if it's used without the van being parked on it, which is the only recommended way, and it's caught by the wind, lifted, and scrapes the paint on a customers car, who is to blame? No one, except the fitter.

Fitters that care about the work they do, and fitters that have been doing it long enough, will know when it is and isn't applicable to use a canopy. I've used it many times, but equally as many times I haven't been able to use it.

>Do you think the world has to be grateful to you. You might think you are the best window fitter in town but you have a mighty chip on your shoulder and you definitely suffer with Paranoia. I will agree with you that I am wrong 100% along with the rest of the world and you are correct 100% in your own mind anyway.

Now I am off to enjoy my lovely Lexus LS400 Mike

Of course not. What a silly thing to say; I'm advising you, not the rest of the world. I think you'll find, if you care to read back through this thread from the beginning, that I came on to offer advice and answer your questions. You've then decided, strangely and seemingly without reason, to take that advice and information as an attack, or argument, towards you.

I can assure you I have no chip on my shoulder, and I'm certainly not paranoid (but please, highlight and elaborate on why you think I'm paranoid. Give some examples too, it's always useful to illustrate one's point, so as to refrain from making unfounded points that aren't back-able)

You also don't have to agree with me at all. You're fully entitled to your own opinion. It's wrong, but you're fully entitled to it.

I also don't think I'm the best fitter in town, no. I'm not a prideful person, and I personally know fitters that are better than me. With all that said, I do know my own abilities, and I take pride in my work, and do it to the best of my ability. I always work on the ethos of "if it was my car, this is how I'd like it to be treated" - no matter of it's a £50,000 Bentley or a £500 Fiesta. If you're not going to bother trying to do it right, correct, and well - then don't bother doing it at all. That's how I look at things. Sadly, I can't say the same for everyone, but it'd be nice if everyone applied that thinking to their work, and lives. I think the world would be a better place for it :)

When do you go back to work? Providing the weather is the correct type.

Can you not provide examples of my paranoia then? Or were you just making another unfounded statement, not based in fact with no presentable evidence?

I go back to work Tuesday, and I'll go back regardless of the weather type. We are out all year round, regardless of rain, sun, sleet, or snow. Always here, ready to help :)

This is where you lost the plot and started to think that this was a personal attack on your self, when in fact I didn't have a clue what you did for a living.

"Why are you dreading it? Do you dread also taking to Lexus to have any
work done on it? How about the faith you had in Profess Gas when they
converted it?"

Why did you have to bring Profess & Lexus into it especially Profess?

I was dreading it because on all other occasions my experience has ended with grief because people in your industry cant do their job correctly.

After this you then start ranting on slagging (i believe was the adjective you used) off off an industry that has only caused me grief.

According to you, your correct and the rest of the world is wrong=Paranoia'

Now you can write chapter and verse in another inane reply.

I have to say that I've had a total of two replacement windscreens and one repair, across two LS400s. All were satisfactory.

The replacements were carried out at Autoglass Basildon, Essex, which I was happy to travel to even though it's some way from my home. I figured that there was less scope for problems on-base and under cover. The only issue was that, for some reason, the original brown-tinted glass was not available, so they'd ordered in blue and grey. I chose grey which looked just fine.

The repair, last year (after getting sprayed with loose gravel on a road which Essex County Council had seen fit to leave like that rather than rollering the surface) was carried out on my driveway by National Windscreens. (Fortunately it was a dry day.) The guy could not have been more helpful, even repairing several other chips that were not part of the original claim. Ther repairs aren't perfect of course, but that is to be expected.

So, if you're having a replacement screen fitted, I would suggest opting to go there and have it done under controlled conditions. Just be prepared for the long wait whilst the adhesive cures.

I have to say that I've had a total of two replacement windscreens and one repair, across two LS400s. All were satisfactory.

The replacements were carried out at Autoglass Basildon, Essex, which I was happy to travel to even though it's some way from my home. I figured that there was less scope for problems on-base and under cover. The only issue was that, for some reason, the original brown-tinted glass was not available, so they'd ordered in blue and grey. I chose grey which looked just fine.

The repair, last year (after getting sprayed with loose gravel on a road which Essex County Council had seen fit to leave like that rather than rollering the surface) was carried out on my driveway by National Windscreens. (Fortunately it was a dry day.) The guy could not have been more helpful, even repairing several other chips that were not part of the original claim. Ther repairs aren't perfect of course, but that is to be expected.

So, if you're having a replacement screen fitted, I would suggest opting to go there and have it done under controlled conditions. Just be prepared for the long wait whilst the adhesive cures.

AA Autoscreens, who my insurance company use, are completely mobile, so they tell me, and only come to you. Glad yours went well. Mike

AA Autoscreens, who my insurance company use, are completely mobile, so they tell me, and only come to you. Glad yours went well. Mike
Correct

This is where you lost the plot and started to think that this was a personal attack on your self, when in fact I didn't have a clue what you did for a living.

"Why are you dreading it? Do you dread also taking to Lexus to have any

work done on it? How about the faith you had in Profess Gas when they

converted it?"

Why did you have to bring Profess & Lexus into it especially Profess?

I was dreading it because on all other occasions my experience has ended with grief because people in your industry cant do their job correctly.

After this you then start ranting on slagging (i believe was the adjective you used) off off an industry that has only caused me grief.

According to you, your correct and the rest of the world is wrong=Paranoia'

Now you can write chapter and verse in another inane reply.

I've never hidden the fact I work in this industry, and have made comment about it in several threads, including this one. I don't publicise the name of the company I work for, mind.

You want to talk about paranoia (and nothing in that post could even slightly be linked to paranoia, not even with poetic license). The first was a question as to why you are dreading it. The second and third, were questions with brand names, in order to illustrate why you're picking on a specific industry (Lexus being a common brand in an industry we are all familiar with, and Profess being a brand name in an industry you have dealings with, personally).

Maybe the question should be, why are you so defensive over Profess? As highlighted by the second mention of "especially Profess" in this post, and your specific mention of them, "Why would you bring Profess into it? too cause trouble?", after my initial post. I mean, how could mentioning Profess' name be construed as to "cause trouble"?

Now that sounds pretty paranoid to me....

Look its clear to everyone that you and I are never going agree. We are like oil & water we wont mix, so why not just accept that. I can live with that why dont you try and live with it?

Haha, of course I've accepted it! It was clear from the moment you disparaged the information I was kindly giving you. And it's of little consequence to me whether we agree or not. I just find it funny that you make so many unfounded and blanket statements, some of which about me, without being able to back up any of them with fact or evidence. It also tickles me how many times you selectively choose which questions I ask to reply to, and how many times you completely ignore parts, or whole, posts, and try and change the subject, or steer away.

One can only conclude you are unable to counter or answer to them, so you employ the childish approach of personal insults or steering away/changing the subject. Bravo :)

Haha, of course I've accepted it! It was clear from the moment you disparaged the information I was kindly giving you. And it's of little consequence to me whether we agree or not. I just find it funny that you make so many unfounded and blanket statements, some of which about me, without being able to back up any of them with fact or evidence. It also tickles me how many times you selectively choose which questions I ask to reply to, and how many times you completely ignore parts, or whole, posts, and try and change the subject, or steer away.

One can only conclude you are unable to counter or answer to them, so you employ the childish approach of personal insults or steering away/changing the subject. Bravo :)

Being part of this forum is meant to be about one thing the cars we love being Lexus. Every now and then you get someone who thinks they are the best thing since slice bread this time they from the window fitting world and that any remark made against that particular so called trade is a personal attack upon themselves. It wasn't. I don't know you, I don't want to know you, I had no idea what you do for a living. My experience of the window fitting world has been one of grief because like a lot of industries in this country its full of fly boys and cowboys. I don't care weather you like my take on your industry its what I have experienced and that's all that matters.You have no idea who I am as you don't know me. Just live with it.

God forbid you ever turn up and change my windscreen.

I have just read what you put about all Halford employees of which you used to be one. How 2 faced can you get?

Now go and change someone else's windows and bore them to death.

Completely different thread, continue it there if you insist. This isn't the place for it.

And yes, god forbid I ever have to change your windscreen. I'd be in a quandary as to whether to do a good job, as I always do, and make a fool of your blinkered, ignorant, view on windscreen fitters (fly boys and cowboys, as you call them) or do a bad job to satisfy your ego. I think it'd have to be the former...

As I've previously said (although it doesn't surprise me you can't remember it - you probably didn't read it, as it seems you don't with most of my posts, since you don't seem to be able to answer to the questions and points I make, although as I've pointed out before, it's far more likely to be selective reading/memory), I'm on holiday at the moment. No windscreen changing till Tuesday - hurrah!

Completely different thread, continue it there if you insist. This isn't the place for it.

And yes, god forbid I ever have to change your windscreen. I'd be in a quandary as to whether to do a good job, as I always do, and make a fool of your blinkered, ignorant, view on windscreen fitters (fly boys and cowboys, as you call them) or do a bad job to satisfy your ego. I think it'd have to be the former...

As I've previously said (although it doesn't surprise me you can't remember it - you probably didn't read it, as it seems you don't with most of my posts, since you don't seem to be able to answer to the questions and points I make, although as I've pointed out before, it's far more likely to be selective reading/memory), I'm on holiday at the moment. No windscreen changing till Tuesday - hurrah!

And you worked for Currys and Comet as well?????

Its good to demonstrate to everyone how 2 faced you are.

Continue it on the other thread. This is a thread about windscreens, not Halfords, Comet or Curry's. I've provided you with answers to those questions on that thread :)

But if this is about providing information to everyone else, are you going to repost the comment you made, insulting an entire country of people? No, probably not.....

Continue it on the other thread. This is a thread about windscreens, not Halfords, Comet or Curry's. I've provided you with answers to those questions on that thread :)

But if this is about providing information to everyone else, are you going to repost the comment you made, insulting an entire country of people? No, probably not.....

You are crazy. No need to worry about my comment about being typically Essex as you demonstrate that every time you make a post. Hopefully you will be back to work tomorrow so the posts will die down for a little while.

all these companies you have worked for makes me think of another saying. jack of all trades master of none.

Hopefully you will be back to work tomorrow so the posts will die down for a little while.

Post #82 for my selective reading friend here :)

You are crazy.

Jack of all trades master of none.

Ah, more insults. The avenue of a defeated man...

Hopefully you will be back to work tomorrow so the posts will die down for a little while.

Post #82 for my selective reading friend here :)

>You are crazy.

Jack of all trades master of none.

Ah, more insults. The avenue of a defeated man...

You should know.

Haha, you do make me chuckle. Go on, I'll bite. List the insults I've made towards you. Please, I'm intrigued :)

Is that what this is all about defeating someone because if it is I am a defeated man. I now know however who it was that gave me all that rubbish info at Halfords, Currys, Comet and all the other places that have done it, it was you. You have admitted working at these places and also admitted that the info they give out is rubbish, how do you know that because you are that person.

Another perfectly executed diversion from what I said about providing me with a list of all the insults I've made towards you. You are very good at that, well done :)

You also make yet another insult towards me (why am I not surprised, how very childish) inferring I am the person that gives out rubbish info. If that makes you sleep better at night, it's no skin off my nose if you decide to believe that. So please, go ahead. Whichever way you want to try and spin it, the basic fact does boil down to your ignorance in knowing what you claim to know, as you possibly can't, because you have no experience or education of it.

Unless of course, you have been a windscreen fitter, and an employee of Halfords, Curry's and Comet? If so, please enlighten me :)

By the way, are you planning to back up your statement, and furnish me/us with a list of the insults I've made towards you?

Hi Matt-c & Bluesman

Come into the office THIS FORUM IS FOR lexus owners or anyone who might want to be one it is not a forum designed for two individuals to go off on one because they can't agree on something I am surprised at you both and dissapointed that a moderator as not already put a stop to this nonsense.

• Like 1

Hi Matt-c & Bluesman

Come into the office THIS FORUM IS FOR lexus owners or anyone who might want to be one it is not a forum designed for two individuals to go off on one because they can't agree on something I am surprised at you both and dissapointed that a moderator as not already put a stop to this nonsense.

I am happy to agree with you. Mike

Hi Matt-c & Bluesman

Both of us are Lexus owners, and we're having a discussion about windscreens. Well, we were until Mike decided the best way to respond to useful and intelligent advice was to insult people; not only me, along with an entire industry, but also an entire county of England. Very strange.

An old saying goes like this.....................

Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

That's exactly why I've stated many times I'm not arguing with Mike ;)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links