Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fuel Filling Issue

Taglialatelle

Hello everyone,

Here is my latest problem with my is200.

When I go to fuel up the hose keeps stopping as if the tank was full. It only allows me to fill the tank very very slowly. I have seen on you tube that some cars have an air valve near the wheels which for some reason is connected to the fuel tank. When this becomes blocked, it can lead to the exact same problem I am experiencing. Any idea where this is located in an is200? I'd like to have look to see if this simple fix will resolve the problem. Not sure if this is also related but after I have refuelled, the fuel level indicator seems to take a while to re adjust to the new level.

Thanks in advance for your help.

had that problem once and I changed the petrol station and the fuel filled up without any probs! weird I don't know lol :o

or may be the fuel filler pipe is kinked or something causing to pressure the fuel back .

not sure but would also like to know about this - - :eerrrmm:

If you lift the handle on the petrol pump up a bit when the nozzle is in the hole it shouldn't click off. If you put it in and just rest it against the filler neck the petrol coming out hits the back of the filler neck and bounces back causing it to click off. You need to kinda point the nozzle down the filler neck and it'll flow properly.

Never had the problem but know others have. Always use shell vpower in my 200, don't understand why people put cheap fuel or cheap tyres on something they rely on so much. Am sure some will say cost, but the average person "wastes" £50 a week on things they could live without, fags booze going out etc, just doesn't make sense to me.

Never had the problem but know others have. Always use shell vpower in my 200, don't understand why people put cheap fuel or cheap tyres on something they rely on so much. Am sure some will say cost, but the average person "wastes" £50 a week on things they could live without, fags booze going out etc, just doesn't make sense to me.

Not sure what any of this has to do with the problem the OP has?

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the replies.

I initially thought Lance's reply seemed too simple to be true but to be fair when I moved the nozzle a bit I was able to push £50 of petrol into the tank without a single click.

I'm not clear why though, over the last 2 years that I have owned the car I have not seen this happen.

And what about the fuel gage taking a while to re adjust?

And for the record, I also use Shell V power . However, can I add some kind of extra cleaner to the tank in case there may be gunk in that might be exacerbating the problem. I thought shell V power would have plenty of detergents in it?

You cant really buy poor quality fuel in the UK.. I avoid supermarkets all the same though, my car runs smoother on BP, ESSO but i still wouldnt call supermarkets fuels poor quality at 95 RON. And cheap rubber is good for some ppl. when i used to have a battered old rover 200 at nearly 200k that was worth probably £300 of course ill buy budgets

As for the slow to register on the fuel guage problem. As the Lexus has a two compartment saddle design fuel tank it has to rely on two fuel level senders to work out what the true level is. When you put the fuel in it will fill one side of the compartment then will level itself by flowing across into the other compartment. I think when the two senders are reading the same level will the gauge give a reading. This should only occur when a small amount of fuel is put it. If the tank is filled to the brim then it should be a more or less instant reading as both compartments are full.

Removing the rear seat base and cleaning the contacts on the senders might help if the gauge is slow all the time. They're under the silver covers.

• Like 1

You cant really buy poor quality fuel in the UK.. I avoid supermarkets all the same though, my car runs smoother on BP, ESSO but i still wouldnt call supermarkets fuels poor quality at 95 RON. And cheap rubber is good for some ppl. when i used to have a battered old rover 200 at nearly 200k that was worth probably £300 of course ill buy budgets

Understand your tyre choice but I was talking about a Lexus. Saw a Lexus 4x4 the other day with kids in the back and really cheap tyres on, I guess each to their own but I would always buy the best I could afford especially if I had kids in the back.

On fuel I notice a real difference between 95ron supermarket fuel and Shell V power and as someone who enjoys driving its a price worth paying. Maybe the fuel filler issue is more about the fuel hose than the car though, I know people who gave all had problems at sainsburys but never at Shell.

Hi,

I only owned my Lexus is 300 auto about 10 days and been driving everywhere buying loads of petrol.............

I too noticed the fuel nozzle cutting off repeatedly. so the solution was to reduce speed of the trigger fuel delivery and hold the nozzle just into filler hole and at an odd upwards angle . now works and fills easy ok each time no cut offs.

Always use Esso and tried both Esso 95 ron and 97 ron. the car seems to prefer and perform better on standard 95 ron petrol so I stick with 95.

My only concern is the fuel system cleaning and fuel injection performance.....yes, 97 ron got more detergents.

does anyone think when I used the 97 petrol the detergents were doing their stuff and actually cleaning the system, hence I noticed the funny unsmooth engine feelings to drive?

is a fuel tank additive any good to try for a cleaner fuel system or just fill a tank full of 97 now and then?

thanks

Phil

I spoke to my local petrol station about this and they said when the tank is empty ,and you put the nozzle in for some wierd reason with the gas accumulation the tank thinks its full and cuts out.Did anyone see fifth gear where jason plato ran redex through a car and it gained 6hp .Personally my car was better after bg44k used,but i also put redex in now and then to keep it clean.Im sure someone on here said the cars dont need superfuels and 95ron is all they need.