Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

I don't like saying this but I do wonder if the Lexus workshop is really that competent !!!!

These LS400 drivetrains are robust beyond anything one could imagine ........ the engines and gearboxes are bullet proof, so is the exhaust too ( apart from the Y section and that could have been repaired quite simply ! )

I would so want for a local member to you, if there is anyone on this forum, to go see your car and review just what has been happening here ......... it's just beyond comprehension that you have encountered such dreadful experiences.

My heart goes out to you SHELLDRAKE, I think you have come up against something that is totally NOT normal.

Malc

I did the starter job on my '94, parts of the engine are exposed where it is easy to drop something in there.

If it was quiet before..........what do you think.......

if it was ok before,and they have fitted starter motor,and now it makes noise it should'nt,you don't have to be einstein to work out that they have dropped something into engine,getting them to admit it, is your problem,you will have to pursue this'right to the top if they won't.its scandalous from a lexus dealer i hope you get a proper response from them tomorrow,don't put up with any excuses best of luck

if it was ok before,and they have fitted starter motor,and now it makes noise it should'nt,you don't have to be einstein to work out that they have dropped something into engine,getting them to admit it, is your problem,you will have to pursue this'right to the top if they won't.its scandalous from a lexus dealer i hope you get a proper response from them tomorrow,don't put up with any excuses best of luck

Very worrying time. Keep my fingers crossed that all goes well.

Hello Gentle men: Thank you for your sympathy,views,advise,and knowledge.I am going down to Lexus tomorrow to see if they find out what the problem is, the more I read what you have said, and the more I think about it, I am now convinced something has got down into the engine I went down there on Saturday morning to have a look at it, and I noticed that the cover where the cables from the ( coils/distributors ) lie in a small sort of trench was missing, when I asked them where it was the ANSWER WAS---- ERR I DON'T KNOW !!! maybe the "Tooth" Fairy during Friday night had it away. So tomorrow dawns a new day and the Heavy Artillery wants to come with me( SHMBO) I said NO!!!! ----now my other eye is swollen---I might learn one day but when??

• Like 1

Hello Rupert D: I was trying to show a stage by stage build up of the cost of the exhaust bill but somehow it hasn't come through as I wanted, so maybe I'll try again later, on the other question no answer to the problem as yet. Cheers Norman.

Either they've fitted the starter incorrectly and two bits of metal are engaging when they shouldn't, or something has fallen into the engine from around the location of the starter motor.

Or, against all the odds, your engine has gone wrong just as they're working on it.

I know where my money is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Mark & many others,: Last week The engine was taken out and checked, they asked me to go down to have a look, the cam covers were off and I could see every thing, on the left bank of pistons, number 2 cam shaft was dry, you could see signs of wear, it was not getting any oil fed to it, there were 2 possibilities 1.low oil pressure from the pump, or 2.a blockage in the gallery that was feeding it, as the rest of the engine was perfect, so the pump was doing it's job. So the gallery feed must be blocked and the cam was dry and worn, Engine now(KAPUT) they gave me a brand new Skoda Fabia for a few days and then changed it for a GS-300 to run-around in. A 1996 Ls400 engine has been sourced,100k and should be delivered either Monday or Tuesday, depending on T.N.T. I will keep you up to date as the saga continues (PS I don't know how it is possible to miss a400 but WE do)

This is the very first time I have heard of an ls400 engine failing, I still think they did something to it, bearing in mind it was fine until they fitted a starter motor to it, something just doesn't add up

Hi Bluesman: yes they will fit it and if there is any consolation they will only charge £50 an hour instead of £104!!

That's good going. I cant imagine any other main dealer fitting used/second hand bits, let alone an entire engine. Good news on the hourly rate.

I have heard a lot of Lexus dealers dropping their hourly rates and I wonder if this is because these cars are so good that they don't need the workshops like other marques and so have lots of vacant workshop space and time. Mike