Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Engine Malfunction Light - Catalytic Converter

The malfunction light on the Dash came on the other day and the garage next to my office was kind enough to hook it up and read the error code for free. The chap told me that the warning code was for the catalytic converter but if he had done an MOT there and then it would have sailed through the test.

He reset the parameters and the error code went away. However, today (4 days after it first appeared) the warning light has returned. Ironcially this happened at exactly the same point on my journey to work roughly 4 miles into a 20 mile joureny.

Assuming that the warning light is for the same reason and my catalytic converter is fine how do I go about preventing the warning light from returning? Presumably there is some sort of sensor that triggers the warning? Would this need to be replaced?

Any feedback or ideas on the above would be appreciated.

Cheers

Without the actual code it is guesswork diagnosing the cause, if you could obtain and post up the code this would help.

The car may have passed its MOT from an emissions point but would have failed if the EML was illuminated anyway as this is now also part of the MOT and must illuminate when the ignition is 1st switched on then go out.

As I said get the code and repost, it could be too many things without it from an O2 sensor to an EGR fault and more.

Cheers Steve. I can't obtain the code I'm afraid unless I get myself a code reader. I took it to the same garage and the bloke reset it again for me. He told me to ignore it if the warning light reappears.

I presume that there is more than one code for this part?

My only problem with ignoring the warning light is that it sort of defeats the point of having a warning light there in the first place. I'm tempted to book it into the dealership and ask them but I half suspect that they'd rip me off at the first opportunity as the Leeds dealership doesn't have a great reputation.

Hi as an alternative why not buy yourself an OBD reader or see if a mate has one,at least that way you get the fault code and then you can take it from there,in future anytime your EML light comes on it is worth noting the fault code before having it erased.

Hi as an alternative why not buy yourself an OBD reader or see if a mate has one,at least that way you get the fault code and then you can take it from there,in future anytime your EML light comes on it is worth noting the fault code before having it erased.

I don't suppose you have a link to one or can recommend a type that would work with my IS200? Cheers

I'm guessing they're on eBay?

Firstly the eml light isnt part of the mot test never has been so ignore that comment.

Secondly do no guess as to what is wrong with your car even having the fault code will only give you a rough idea of what the cause of the light coming on.

i can saftely say that if you were told its a cat fault the lambda/oxygen sensor, post cat, has detected a fault. theres 3 lambda/oxygen sensor and 3 cats. So which do you change the fault code could would give you a better idea. There could very easily be a small hole in your exhaust after the first sensor, the second sensor could easily pick up unburnt air from this leak and decide it must be a cat fault as the unburnt air shouldnt be there and therefore there must be a burn fault or a cat fault when infact neither would be the problem. Get it checked properly guessing is pot luck even the autodata (at over £800 a year) gives 3 or 4 reasons for every fault code.

So sorry still no mot light in the test this is copied from your link ............The MOT test now includes a ‘Malfunction Indicator Lamp’ check. This requires
the examiner to visually check that warning lights for electronic stability
control, safety restraint systems, anti-lock braking systems and tyre pressure
monitoring systems are not permanently illuminated.

and this is a link to the most upto date testers manuel i can find

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/crt/doitonline/bl/mottestingmanualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

still nothingn on engine management lights. theres certainly no reason to fail for an eml being on.

lill0021 is my mot id number i have been testing 20 years and unless an update came out after 12;30 today the eml light isnt in the test.

• Like 1

Like a lot of things its open to interpretation and discretion,am no expert,but know some garages will fail it if on,a bit like tyre pressure warning lights - some will fail it and some won't.

Its not open to interpritation at all my friend. Please feel free to send me details of anyone or garage that has had a car fail on an engine management light. The rules are very very simple. The engine management light is not in the test. Its not even mentioned.

Theres alot of the mot test i dont agree with, things that should be in the test things that shouldnt be but bottom line is rules is rules.

Tyres pressure warning lights are in the mot test, but with out a quick look on exact date, only on cars registered after 2012 cant remember the exact date in 2012.

Ok if it is not open to interpretation - what is a EML(its a warning light yes?)should a car in for a MOT have any of its warning lights permanently on?(they are meant to go out after a few seconds if nothing is wrong or there's no fault).The EML indicates a fault if it stays on as does the ABS light.So as a tester what's the difference,both indicate faults so why regard one and disregard the other????

Thanks for the feedback and apologies for the delay in replying to your posts.

The garage reset the warning light on Friday and as of yet it hasn't reappeared. I'll look into getting one of these code readers from eBay. Can anyone recommend a model/make that I would need to buy?

Once I have that I'll be able to determine what the code is. If it does reappear I might ask the dealership to take a look at it as I am not keen on the idea of simply ignoring the warning light.

The engine management light is not in the mot i am an mot tester ITS NOT IN THE TEST. plain and simple. To issue a fail certificate you have to select a reason to fail of a list. There isnt a box to tick to fail engine management lights. There is no generic "warning light fault" tick box either. You cannot actually or physically fail an mot test for an eml..

Your also incorrect about other warning lights, theres nothing in an mot test about airbag/srs warning lights coming on and going off either. The fail criteria is if "the light indicates a fault" it fails. Theres nothing that says it has to come on in the first place. You cannot fail on on airbag/srs for not coming on. The fail criteria clearly says "light indicates a fault" if the lights not on theres no reason to fail.

its also not up to the tester to decide what is and what isnt the test, what passes and fails. As a tester its your job to check that the vehicle meets the criteria set out in the guide nothing more. As i have mentioned before i dont agree with things that are in the test and not in the test but its not up to me to change the rules to suit my own personal thoughts. once again engine management lights are not int he mot test.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links