Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Disappointed New Gs 300 Sport Owner.

bartymuvver

I'm not disappointed with the car, but, with Lexus!

Having bought my car recently, and not having service history, I thought it best to let Lexus service it.

I was quoted £300 and booked it in. Picked it up and the check list indicated that everything was ok. (No red indicators).

On my way home my temperature gauge started to fluctuate from normal to hot. I let it cool down before checking and found there was no water in the resovoir! I had to put 8 pints in to top it up!

I also noticed that it sounded a bit noisier, so checked the exhaust, and to my horror found that one of the boxes was hanging off!

I took it to Kwik Fit the next day as I thought they might be able to refit the box. They called me to the pit to show me the problem with the box and to my dismay also pointed out that there were holes in the other box and the through pipe. They quoted me just under £1000 to renew.

I did no more, and drove straight back Lexus. They were adamant that everything was fine when I picked it up the day before, but, would take it in and check again.

2 hours later the car returned and the salesman apologised and said he "couldn't understand" how the mechanics had missed the problems with the exhaust. He quoted me £1660 to replace the parts. ( not the whole exhaust system!).

He saw the look on my face and asked me to wait a minute. He came back and said that as a gesture of good will, they would waive the vat.

To cut a long story short I sourced the system on the internet for £400, and the fitting cost me £30.

Needless to say I won't be using Lexus (Croydon) again.

Unbelievable! I don't think I would be willing to leave it there, Lexus are known for their excellent customer service, so I would be taking this further. I get fed up with being taking for a ride like this. I think the gesture of goodwill to waive the VAT amounts to an insult after the way you've been treated. Don't let it go.

And welcome to LOC!

Why on earth would they even go near the exhaust let alone touch it when servicing. As for the coolant, its mad they forgot to top it up. Thats something i expect from a backstreet garage but not a dealership! anyway nice car, i love the MK1 GS300. Hopefully from here on it will be plain sailing!

Hello and welcome to the LOC.

Not a good start at all,as you say for peace of mind you took the car to Lexus and they obviously did not do the work for which you paid and I would certainly be questioning if anything else "was missed".

There is absolutely no excuse for missing an item as large and easy to access as an exhaust system when a car is on the ramp and as for not refilling the coolant (which I assume was part of the service charge) is total incompetence.

P.S. Have you checked the oil level since the "service"?

Suppose your engine had seized due to this would you have been offered a new engine minus the VAT!

I would certainly be looking at contacting the dealership in writing to make an official complaint and also informing Lexus GB regarding the level of service.

Hopefully now the work has been carried out you should be able to enjoy the Lexus driving experience if not the dealership.

Why on earth would they even go near the exhaust let alone touch it when servicing. As for the coolant, its mad they forgot to top it up. Thats something i expect from a backstreet garage but not a dealership! anyway nice car, i love the MK1 GS300. Hopefully from here on it will be plain sailing!

On most service checklists it includes something like "check general condition of exhaust system including mounting brackets and support rubbers"

I think a rear box hanging off would have been obvious, or was this done coming off the ramp in a hurry?

I wonder if they greased the door hinges?

thats why i always buy my service parts take it to my trusted garage sit there and watch them 'like a hawk' do the service. I never leave my car at a garage to collect it later as i dont trust any garage. had my cambelt and drive belt changed at a Lexus branch a while back and on collection I made sure i inspected at least the drive belt to make sure its really been changed. so my advise is if one takes thier car in for servicing at any garage and cant sit there and watch them do the job, always spend 2 mins after you have picked up the car, open the bonnet and check the oil to make sure its new, and also check coolant level and brake fluid levels and if they have not been topped up, then take the car back and demand a refund as the job has not been done. if both coolant and brake fluid was meant to be changed as part of the he service also check to make sure those fluids are fresh ones if not take the car back and demand a refund as the job has not been done. i save that hassle and sit there watch them service the car before i part with money. its like a production lane in garages they are under pressure to get a car in quickly and out quickly for the next one as soon as possible.

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments guys,

As I said before, I love the car, it is an eye turner. When I picked it up, it had 97000 on the clock, and this was verified by MOT history.

I have just hit 100,000 miles on the clock. Have read on here that it's important to get the cambelt changed at this mark.

I suppose this would probably cost me more to have done than what the car cost me to buy, especially if Lexus have it! Can anyone give me a rough idea as to the cost? Lexus did change the oil and filter when they serviced it. Not sure about the other items though.

As for going back to complain to the Lexus dealer, in my frustration, I tore up the "report given upon completion" after I had the exhaust fitted.

The one thing that didn't work when I bought the car was the A/Con. Taken it to 4 different firms, and the fault (leak) has been identified but, none of them can source the part needed. So frustrating.

I'll try and put a photo up and see what viewers think of my car.

Cheers,

Barry.

Barry,

I use an indie in Crawley/Redhill- Toyotec- I wont touch Lexus Croydon anymore.

The guy is called Russell who owns it and I havent found fault with any of the work they have done on my current RX, or the IS300 before it.

Russell Birch - Toyotec <russell.birch@toyotec.co.uk

He ex Lexus/Toyota and (imho) knows his stuff.

J

• Like 1

As I said before, I love the car, it is an eye turner. When I picked it up, it had 97000 on the clock, and this was verified by MOT history.

I have just hit 100,000 miles on the clock. Have read on here that it's important to get the cambelt changed at this mark.

I suppose this would probably cost me more to have done than what the car cost me to buy, especially if Lexus have it! Can anyone give me a rough idea as to the cost? Lexus did change the oil and filter when they serviced it. Not sure about the other items though.

As for going back to complain to the Lexus dealer, in my frustration, I tore up the "report given upon completion" after I had the exhaust fitted.

The one thing that didn't work when I bought the car was the A/Con. Taken it to 4 different firms, and the fault (leak) has been identified but, none of them can source the part needed. So frustrating.

Cheers,

Barry.

I still wouldn't let it go. Ask for a copy of the report and take it to the top,

Jason,

Thanks for that.

I have emailed the guy and will see what he has to say. I also asked to quote me for a cam belt change.

Hopefully, will hear from him soon.

Phil,

I understand where your coming from, but, I have to look at what I could achieve.

How do I prove that the car had no water? I took the car back to them the next day, and although they apologised for missing the obvious problems with the exhaust, they did make an offer regarding the VAT.

Also, it's over 4 weeks since the service was carried out! I don't think they would be prepared to reimburse me!

They might offer me a discount on my next service, but, do I want them to touch my car again? I don't think so.

Thanks again for your thoughts,

Barry.

iT'S OBVIOUSLY THEY BROKE YOUR CAR......

well, unless you took the car there on that condition but :devil: impossible .... u took the car for service without any bang or knocks.... after few hour later your car was like coming out from a scrap yards.

really feel sorry what Lexus "Cr :msn-cry: don" did something like this

Cheers,

Barry.

Cambelt on your car should have been done in 2006 when it was 10 years old, worth checking for sticker under bonnet. Lexus fixed price for cambelt on GS300 pre 2005 is £295 but that doesn't include waterpump or tensioner. The series 1 GS 300 is a non interference engine so cambelt isn't such a problem on your car as it is on later cars.

Thanks for that info Dave,

Have to admit I wasn't sure whether my car was series 1 or 2.

I'm also quite surprised at the price you quoted for the cambelt. As I stated previously I had no service history for this car, so was a bit worried. I'll look for the sticker later.

Cheers,

Barry.