Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

My First Lexus - Engine Light, Misfire, Smokey - Gulp!

Mattydor

How are you meant to get the PCV valve off? There's a bit of play there but the damn thing is stuck in there. I'm going to have to remove the timing cover to check for sludge blockages anyway, so it might be easier to take the PCV valve out once that's off.

I've haven't seen a step-by-step for taking the timing cover off. I guess it's simple enough as long as I keep track of which wire goes where.

Try removing the valve when the engine is warm and a bit of WD40 can help. It just takes a bit of firm but gentle persuasion!

The valve cover is pretty straightforward. Mark stuff up and take lots of photos so you can refer to them if you're not sure how it all goes back.

Another way to test the PCV valve is to remove the oil filler cap on idle and put the palm of your hand over the hole. If it's working you should feel a definite suction.

Another way to test the PCV valve is to remove the oil filler cap on idle and put the palm of your hand over the hole. If it's working you should feel a definite suction.

Only just got around to trying the suction test this evening. The engine was very hot so I didn't use my hand. I placed a piece of paper over the oil filler hole and there wasn't enough suction to hold that in place. I would say that there was none at all. Sounds like a borked PCV valve, doesn't it? I will warm up the engine tomorrow and try to take it out with some WD40 too. It just pulls out, is that right? Doesn't feel like it unscrews.

Been busy so I hadn't had time to look at the car. But now...

I managed to get the PCV valve off and the grommet without losing any bits. I bought a new valve and grommet and fitted that. Took it for a drive and, again after warming up and being stuck in traffic, the car rattled and puffed smoke from the exhaust when I put my foot down. Though this time there was a noticeable loss of power.

I've changed the OCV filter already but could it be the valve itself that needs looking at? Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks for all the help so far.

In case anyone reading this needs a PCV valve for an IS 200, the part numbers are:

PCV Valve - 12204-70020

Grommet - 90480-18001

Cost about £38 for both from Lexus. You'll definitely need the grommet too.

You've done all the cheap and easy fixes and nothing has really made much difference and the fact the engine has been seriously neglected and has significant wear would make me consider as to weather it is worth spending any more money on it. The fact is that engine may rattle and puff smoke for another 100k or it may break tomorrow.