Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all, i'm thinking of buying a Lexus GS300/430 around 2003 model, not had a lexus before

and was hoping some one on here could give me some advice on what to look for in respect of faults

"all cars have them" weak points and general info really. I'm looking to spend around £2500. The only knowledge i have of the GS range is what iv'e read on Parkers and Honest John sites.At my time in life i'm looking for comfort.

Many thanks in advance for your replys. Brian

Welcome to the club Brian.

I have just bought a 98 model and apart from usual check water, oil,and bodywork/ underneath, anything else just drive it they are that quiet that any untoward noises/faults will be very noticable.

Check when braking that you don't get a buzzing everytime you press brake pedal as these models don't use a conventional servo, they have an accumulator which is expensive to replace.

Hope i have helped in a small way. Can't give an in depth guide as i have only had mine for a couple of weeks.

One thing for sure you won't regret getting one.

Thanks Ian,I had a few cars in mind the GS300/430,omega 3.2 elite,bmw 530i and S type Jaguar all of which offer comfort with around the same running costs eg fuel consumption, i run a BMW 330i M-Tech sport coupe 2001 at the moment and mpg wise is slightly better than all of the above but a bit too hard a ride now at my age lol. :shifty:

Kind Regards Brian.

2003 models will already ahve the upgraded brake booster so you shouldn't need to worry about that particular item.

Not really that much on the weak points, but if there are any it would be:

• brakes - binding calipers and slide pins are a common issue on nearly all "older" Lexus models. Check for vibration on steering and odd wheels feeling warmer to the touch than the others suggesting excess heat from binding.
  • Front Top wishbones. Not really a common issue, but after market replacement ones can be a bit suspect, and genuine items are expensive.
  • Anti roll bar bushes. Characterised by thud/clunk at low speed over uneven ground. Cheap and easy fix.
  • Dodgy LCD segments on non Nav stereo head units.
  • If EML/CEL light is on, get it read before commiting to buying. Even if you buy a reader before hand (less than £30 - money very well spent).
  • Missing centre caps on alloys (especially Sport models). Don't get conned into accepting that you can get a replacement from the dealers. You can't, they are discontinued and hence uber expensive when they come up second hand.

Not much else I can think of off the top of my head. Both my Gen 2 GS's have been very good.

omega is a car I know a *lot* about.

The newest are now ten years old - they rust.

ABS ecu fails.

Powersounder bursts into flames (!).

Suspension bushes fail. Crankshaft sensor fails.

HBV fails.

Cambelt and tensioner needs doing every two years/20,000 miles.

Head gasket NEVER fails (regardless of what a mechanic might say - they don't fail, it's, at worst, the oil cooler bridge that wants cleaning).

VERY comfortable, not as quiet as a lexus but, to my mind more responsive, faster and more powerful than the gs300 (maybe just mine - I had a slightly "tweaked" manual omega MV6 (225BHP as tested), and my GS300 has an auto gearbox (218BHP at new according to lexus).

Cheap and easy to fix.

Estate is HUGE. big enough for a double mattress in boot if you put the back seats down.

VERY good, informative owners club with a large user base at www.omegaowners.com/forum - I'd recommend an omega just on the strength of the club - IF you like to tinker.

Jag S type - Unreliable. expensive to fix. allegedly a mondeo in drag (not really). Rust

BMW 530i - no idea on reliability, but expensive to fix.

buy a Lexus - can be expensive to fix, but since the problems don't occur very often - who cares!

Hi Gregg, Thanks for your reply i must admit i do like the Omega i had a 2.6 CDX auto 6 years ago and only sold it because the road tax was going to be increased "mine was a 2001 model" to £400 and i couldn't justify it so i sold it only for the transport dude to change his mind :megaangry: but yes a great car,iv'e got a BMW 330i M-Tech sport coupe and love it but trips to the vet with my jack Russell and wife has to get in back with him doesn't go down well with wife we are getting on a bit now, i like the look of Jag S type but like the thought of being wafted around in the comfort of the GS :driving: Cheers Brian

2003 models will already ahve the upgraded brake booster so you shouldn't need to worry about that particular item.

Not really that much on the weak points, but if there are any it would be:

• brakes - binding calipers and slide pins are a common issue on nearly all "older" Lexus models. Check for vibration on steering and odd wheels feeling warmer to the touch than the others suggesting excess heat from binding.
  • Front Top wishbones. Not really a common issue, but after market replacement ones can be a bit suspect, and genuine items are expensive.
  • Anti roll bar bushes. Characterised by thud/clunk at low speed over uneven ground. Cheap and easy fix.
  • Dodgy LCD segments on non Nav stereo head units.
  • If EML/CEL light is on, get it read before commiting to buying. Even if you buy a reader before hand (less than £30 - money very well spent).
  • Missing centre caps on alloys (especially Sport models). Don't get conned into accepting that you can get a replacement from the dealers. You can't, they are discontinued and hence uber expensive when they come up second hand.

Not much else I can think of off the top of my head. Both my Gen 2 GS's have been very good.

HI Rick, Thanks for your reply what is the CEL light i know EML engine management light but not CEL anyway if i looked at a lexus or any car with EML light on or did not light up at all then i would just walk away. Cheers Brian.

As an addendum to my post above - if comfort is your thing - go for a LS400. Even more reliable than the 300, and considering it's a 4.0, insurance is cheaper (for me, any way), and mpg is about the same (and less than a 3.2 omega)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links