Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Anyone Taken Theirs In For The Airbag Recall?

Essex chelle

• 2 weeks later...

The letter is from vosa and there is a recall cos it says it has to he taken in to lexus for inspection ofcthe passenger airbag.

Really strange. I have just rechecked VOSA recalls and there is certainly no recall listed on their website. Did you book appointment at Lexus for recall work to be done?

• 3 weeks later...

went into Reading Lexus this morning ( the plushest carpets and decor I have ever seen in a motor dealer,most impressive )

and presented my recall letter.

Processed very efficiently and booked in for an inspection.

Its a 2 stage job,inital inspection which takes about 40 minutes and determines if you have a fault on the air bag activator

( I think thats what he said) if you don't end of story.

If you do ( have a fault) then car gets booked in again to rectify.

Will keep you all posted.

• 2 weeks later...

took the car into Lexus dealer this morning and they have told me that it needs a new airbag activator so its booked in for that in a couple of weeks.

I asked if the airbag was likely to go off accidentally and the chap said no just the opposite but when I pressed him for details he said he didn't have any technical details which I found rather strange.Anyway,I am pleased its being fixed.

The mechanic also gave the car a quick checkover presumably to find problems they can tell me about/quote on.

Surprise ,surprise 'your back brake pads are getting dangerously low sir, would you like us to renew them when you have the airbag activator done ' and your quote for that job would be : ' only £150 sir ! '.

Now I have just had the car MOT'd and the front brake pads replaced and the verdict on the back pads was that they will probably need doing at the next MOT but not critical at present.

And as for 150 quid for a set of pads and at most 1 hours work...................although it does explain why they can afford such oppulant

showroom and offices.

Perhaps I am just an old scrooge but can't help feeling that telling me my brake pads are 'dangerously low' was a bit naughty.

• 2 weeks later...

Most dealers treat car owners like they are stupid. Most car owners are stupid when it comes to auto engineering (or any sort of engineering)... I know all the dangers of not using dealers except when absolutely required but I use a very well qualified and very very experienced fully qualified auto engineer who does his own work in his own garage. He once worked for a very famous world rally car team.... he does all my servicing and all my upkeep.. One thing he has found about Lexus dealers is they just don't like other people doing the work and he finds it very difficult to order spares etc from them they don't make it easy. Even exhausts they only quote for supply and fit not just supply so if you want one and you want someone to fit it the cost is the same. That's a big rip off. When he tried to get hold of a tappet adjusting kit they wouldn't provide one... He doubts they even do it. Cost of an O2 sensor from the Lexus dealer around £180 cost locally (£129) etc etc.. I will put up with the hassle as I want a trained engineer to work on my car not an apprentice or someone on work experience with no motivation.

I'm with you on the main dealer aspect.Haven't been near a main dealer since I retired 10 years ago and the cost of repairs/servicing had to come out of my hardearned pension rather than simply signing off on a worksheet for the company car and never seeing those horrendous dealer costs.

I use a couple of independents that have experienced and trustworthy people AND their labour costs are still around £40 an hour ( ex VAT)

which I think is acceptable.

Have not come acrosss Lexus parts being expensive but TBH have not had that much done,most recent were front brake pads which didn't seem that much different in cost to the Volvo front pads.

The exhaust is original and the back half looks to be getting very scabby so I think it is going to need doing in the next 2/3 years and will be interesting to see what that costs at the indie verses the main dealer.

I think I have hijacked this thread,apologies chelle.

Good points well made... In fact I pay £50 an hour and consider it well worth in because I am getting the organ grinder not the monkey.. he even gives me a choice of parts Lexus or generic.. Main dealer parts Lexus or Volvo are all 33% up at least on the parts that can be obtained on the open market. If your willing to wait you can in many cases get them even cheaper from the USA. This is especially true for Lexus.. With Lexus some part are Toyota, order them as Lexus you pay say £200, order them as Toyota you will pay say £170 order them as generic and its £150 but if bought from the states it may well be even less including shipping. Not always but sometimes. They only have the value they can demand. Just got a generic O2 sensor fitted... £120 ... Lexus wanted £185 The bill is £170 including fitting... Lexus want £185 part + I think its £85 an hour..£270... Note these sensors are Denso.. they are all the same... I wonder why it is legal...

• 1 year later...

I have a 2001 model, yes got the call, took it in. when taking the steering wheel off to remove dashboard, the centre of the steering colum fell in. ewnd result, I was offered, nicely, but read on.

1 would you like to give us £1300ish for a new steering column, or 2 when will you arrange a transporter to collect your car which is in bits.

yes coughed up, now the speakers rattle behind the dash and since then driver airbag light is now on, and Levison sterio makes a deafening sound at random times, I do mean deafening, unsafe to drive loud. These may just be coincidnces and it has been a few months since the work was done (speakers rattlled staright away).

I have an IS300 as well, but neither goes anywhere near a Lexus dealer now. If there is not an issue with your airbag, stay away.

• Thanks 1

Sounds like you need to call Lexus head office, I wouldn't stand for that. My recall caused the ashtray to jam, so they took it back in and resolved it all free of charge. Complain like hell, preferably in front of other customers.

• 2 years later...

It was LEXUS head office who told the dealer that they would NOT pay anything towards the steering coloumn change (yes the dealer did offer to forgo thier costs, but not the cost of the coloumn. Dealer nice, but hands tied etc.
No one wanted to listen to me, so I post it here, as a warning to others.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I took mine in last week and it was in Lexus Glasgow for 2 days. (got a nice NX as a loaner)

No issues since its been done and I took pics of the dash beforehand just incase any damage was done 🙂

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links