Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

To Be A Victim And Want To Cry :-(

Well, today for the first time in my life, I have been in a position where all I can think of is just turning the clock back....

Parked up, went to a do to meet some people with the family. Parked up in a quiet neighbourhood in the afternoon, nothing out of the ordinary, in an area I have parked up in before.

Returned to car, in day light just 2 and half hours later, to find the entire Passenger side keyed. Really deep. Through both doors and into the front wing.

The question is, why?

In 28 years of driving I haven't claimed on my insurance once; never had an accident at all. I have done over 350,000 miles in that time. Not a single parking ticket; no points on my licence either.

Sorry to hear, very gut-wrenching indeed! :(

There appears to be a keying epidemic lately; your is the 4th Lexus that I'm hearing of which has been keyed in the last 4 days!

Hope you are able to get it sorted without too much issues.

• Like 1

Thanks - it's really upset me. The car can be fixed, and other than the money, it's the sheer upset it causes. I'm a religious man, and so don't wish anyone harm...normally! God knows if it can be "Chips Awayed" if that makes sense. ELse it'll have to be an insurance claim, and all the joys that will bring. My excess is £350, so I need to work out whats gonna be best. If it's gonna cost more than £750 then I'll insurance it, else get it fixed privately.

What's going on here?

Why are IS's being keyed this weekend around the country?

I'm in France at the moment, hope I don't get home to find mine keyed. That's the second member on loc this weekend and the fourth in total (2 on the Facebook page)

"Keying a car" must be the most malicious form of wanton vandalism you could think of.

For the sake of the 10 seconds it takes to do it it's hours of work to repair and costly whichever way you go about it.

I'm not religious so fingers meet angle grinder if I ever catch anyone doing it.

sorry for what happen to you car :megaangry: :megaangry:

those cowards dumb people just don't have nothing to do then ****** others off just to have a laugh ...

i've keyed, food thrash, dent... worse part had my window smash because "we're in their spot" :devil:

we never catch those *****...

Gonna get a few quotes, gonna even see what my local Chips Away bloke will quote too.

Just pulled the car out of garage, hoping it had been a bad dream. Looks even worse today....was trying to get a picture on here but there no attachment icon thingy. I'll upload to Photobucket or something....

If they had to damage something, I just wish they'd smashed a window, or slashed a tyre. I now face all the hassle of whether to go through Insurance, the cost, premiums etc. And then will the paint match be perfect, will it still stand out etc.

Might also get a quote from Lexus, which I know won't be cheap!!

At least with glass or tyres you take a £ hit and it can just be replaced. This is just heart breaking.....to the extent where I don't think I'll ever buy a good car again. As Pete says - it's such a cowardly thing; they don't have the bottle to square up to you, so they do it when you're back is turned, and hide again under the rock they crawled out from!

If anyone knows a good body shop in Leicestershire please please please let me know....

Gotta see the funnies in this....

Wifey reckons we should just leave it; a bit like an "I woz ere" type thing that might hopefully stop anyone else doing it. And if they do, then it won't matter! Problem is, you know when a car pulls up next to you at the lights, and you see a long keyed mark, you sometimes think "He must be a real ***ker and must have really upset someone....". Well I can tell you, I've never knowingly upset anyone in my life. Not knowingly of course. So if I drive up along side, please spare tarring me with that brush...lol

Yeah you know how angry you felt when you first saw it? I actually caught a couple of 16/17 year oldish chavs keying my Honda a few years ago.....They were walking down the street just keying every parked car they walked past. I ran after them, one was skinny and fit and got away, I caught the fat little git, gave him a bit of a kicking, teach him a lesson.... silly old bat of a lady across the road thought I was mugging him and called the police.....

Got a lecture from the police about not taking the law into my own hands and then they actually asked the little scrote if he wanted to take any further action against me for assault!!!

I said what about the damage to my car? And would you have cone out if i had called and said there are two teenagers keying cars? They didn't answer that.....Have you got any proof he did it was the answer from the stuck up copper who couldn't have been much older than the little chav! It was that exact moment I lost all respect for our police force! Absolute shower of sh%#!!

Anyway I hope you can get the scratch out... I'd be absolutely gutted if that was my lex :(

Thanks Chris. I think I would have swung for them. The police are not interested in anything that they regard to be trivial. Bring back corporal punishment I say!!!!!!

I've been at it at lunch time - Maquires scratch X (which isn't the best thing in the world), but it didn't make any difference, even when slapped on and rubbed in with a random orbital. Over 90% of it has gone through the Lacquer, Base and undercoat! They must have used a stanley knife I reckon.

And yes, I am totally gutted!

There aren't many GS's out there (mk4) to start with; this one stands out though!! I really don't want to drive it at all until it's fixed. Just garaged it again. Will see how much this is gonna cost and decide. Might just take the wife's advice and stick with it.

Hi

I have had at least 20 car owners coming into my shop over the last fortnight with damaged cars from broken aerials to being keyed

one last week a lad walked down the street smashing all the wing mirrors of every car he passed about a dozen I believe and when he got to the end there was a cop car when arrested they asked him why and he replied I had an argument with my girlfriend and wanted to take it out on something the following day he was released but not before being told he was a very naughty boy.ps he lives in the street he did the damage.

Hi

I have had at least 20 car owners coming into my shop over the last fortnight with damaged cars from broken aerials to being keyed

one last week a lad walked down the street smashing all the wing mirrors of every car he passed about a dozen I believe and when he got to the end there was a cop car when arrested they asked him why and he replied I had an argument with my girlfriend and wanted to take it out on something the following day he was released but not before being told he was a very naughty boy.ps he lives in the street he did the damage.

See now why didn't they charge him then get him to pay for all the mirrors he smashes. Even if it meant paying a fine monthly it may have taught him more of a lesson..... But no, gone soft Britain yet again!!

I am afraid it doesn't work like that anymore my mate got his car damaged the guy was caught in the act arrested charged and fined he said he could only afford to pay £5 a month he made two payments and nothing more in todays society you are looked after and sent on nice holidays if you misbehave.

I remember as a kid in the 70's, our local bobby would be round on his bike a couple of times a day. He'd see louts, chase them, grab 'em by the collar and give 'em a clip around the ear.

Can you imagine that happening now?

Well, today for the first time in my life, I have been in a position where all I can think of is just turning the clock back....

Parked up, went to a do to meet some people with the family. Parked up in a quiet neighbourhood in the afternoon, nothing out of the ordinary, in an area I have parked up in before.

Returned to car, in day light just 2 and half hours later, to find the entire Passenger side keyed. Really deep. Through both doors and into the front wing.

The question is, why?

In 28 years of driving I haven't claimed on my insurance once; never had an accident at all. I have done over 350,000 miles in that time. Not a single parking ticket; no points on my licence either.

Sorry to hear of this. Have you reported it to the police if not do so as you may not be alone. Also where do you live so I can avoid the area?

It happened in Wellingborough, just off Highfield Road.

I've since been told that the police are aware, but nothing has ever happened. The area is well known for this sort of behaviour. It's amazing how you only learn these things AFTER being a victim.

My local dealership has now quoted just over £600 for doing the job, and it's the route I'll probably go down. Cash is really tight at the moment, so I may as well just leave it until I decide to change cars in the future, but that might be 4-5 years yet.

:-(

It happened in Wellingborough, just off Highfield Road.

I've since been told that the police are aware, but nothing has ever happened. The area is well known for this sort of behaviour. It's amazing how you only learn these things AFTER being a victim.

My local dealership has now quoted just over £600 for doing the job, and it's the route I'll probably go down. Cash is really tight at the moment, so I may as well just leave it until I decide to change cars in the future, but that might be 4-5 years yet.

:-(

It might be an idea to find out which bodyshop they use and get a quote from them direct too.

Sorry to read about this, Jonas." People" that do this are scum and complete losers who are envious of anything nice that other people work hard for.

I only hope karma bites back and gives them a chance to reappraise the direction their life is going in.

I lived in Kettering and Northampton many years ago and seem to remember Wellingborough having quite a rough reputation, but I'm sure there are nice parts as well! Having said that I am sure that cars have been keyed in the nicest of areas.

Can't help you with a body shop in Leicestershire, but I can recommend Perfect Finish in Coventry if you don' mind a trip down the M69, Tel 024 76637000. I know they have done work for Lexus and Toyota in Coventry but you'll get better VFM contacting them yourself directly.

I grazed the rear arch on my old GS on my gate not long after getting it about 5 years ago. Lexus Birmingham wanted £1000 to do it. Perfect Finish did it for £350 and did a brilliant job. As good as new. Nice people but more importantly do a great job.

Hope you get the car looking back to its best soon, such a lovely car :-(

Thanks Ullevi - will defo try them!

Speak to Stuart who runs the shop with his wife Christine in the office. They actually own an RX400h, wanted it white, but Lexus in those days couldn't supply it in white, so he bought one and sprayed it white himself! He's had it since I've been going there and it still looks stunning.

It was a Lexus sales exec who turned me onto them when I needed my old GS sorting.

Oh, and tell them Vince sent you if you decide to give them a try.

Update - decided to let Lexus do it. My local dealer have assured me that they will do it in their own workshop and that saves me the bother of having to take it around. Time is at a premium, so it'll be less painful that way, and I have a major trust relationship with the Leicester dealership (who are excellent).

I was thinking about leaving it, but it's one of those things that nags you every time you cast a glance at it.

The Lexus quote was an excellent one in the end, lower than I thought it might be.

But thanks all for your suggestions and help - will defo keep them in the back pocket if the need arises for our other cars too.

Yes Chris, your experience with the law is all too common, they always seem to take the side of the scrotes if you lay a finger on them.

I think I would have been inclined to report the useless copper for his attitude and lack of consideration to you, probably would not have done any good though.

I always look around my car when I return to it expecting the worst, people opening doors on to it, trolley damage etc.

Most of the time I think it's just plain jealousy and I would have done the same as you and bugger the consequences!

Dave.

I always look around my car when I return to it expecting the worst, people opening doors on to it, trolley damage etc.

Most of the time I think it's just plain jealousy and I would have done the same as you and bugger the consequences!

Dave.

Why do you think it's jealousy? It happens to all makes of cars of various ages, values and conditions. There are louts who just cause malicious damage to things and then there are the plain careless inconsiderate ones who don't really give a toss about other peoples property and cause damage with trolleys, bags, doors and even by brushing against cars and causing damage with clothing (buttons, jacket zips etc.). Mindless morons.