Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tte Coilover Locking Rings

ian_w

I got hold of a set of used TTE coilovers which appear to be a bit seized to say the least. The locking rings just aren't shifting, been soaked in PlusGas, heated up, heaved on but nothing moving even slightly.

Does anyone know where I might be able to get a set of replacement locking rings before I resort to cutting them off?

Found a couple of places selling 'Bilstein locking rings', as TTE are made by Bilstein, but none have dimensions (and havent replied to my questions yet). 'Standard' coilovers seem to be 2.25" but these measure 2" diameter in the body so wondering if they're an odd size?

Thanks

I had a spare set but gave them away! should have kept them they can come in use.

don't know where you can get them rings alone.

try filling up the damper with grease then heat it up slightly to melt it & leave it over night. the grease is a lot thicker then the sprays. works slowly though. next day get a flat head screwdriver & tap it with hammer on the end of the ring of the groove. give it a few strong hits being careful not to round of the groove. once loosened you then use the normal tool.

I have done this many times on many cars, it mostly has always worked.

also make sure the car is jacked up to release tension.

have a try & hope it helps -

Definitely Bilstein, it's stamped into the body. The springs are indeed Eibach though.

For anyone else looking I found some here: http://www.motorsport-tools.com/spring-coilover-spring-locking-ring-bilstein-thread.html

A fiver a piece seems a decent price, cheaper than eBay. Good service too, quick to answer my question about thread sizes.
(I have no affiliation :winky: )

Managed to shift the spring seat with a hammer and the threads underneath are full of a hard crusty grime. No surprise the rings won't budge. It is coming off with a bit of elbow grease and a wire brush though so should all be good once I've attacked the stuck rings with the old angle grinder! Might give them a lick of paint while I'm at it.