Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Guy Seeking Views On This 400

Hi guys,

Turned 40 and the LS bug has bitten. I've been looking for one with LPG and this one looks pretty tidy but price is possibly a little steep.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300964551157

Not sure how much history it has but the description seems honest. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

Seems a good buy to me, If you figure in the lpg cost around £1500 then you are getting a late mark4 for £1300, It has the right tyres on it dunlops so the owner hasn't skimped on it, I would 100% take a look, If its good you would get it for £2500 & have a bargain.

Hi guys,

Turned 40 and the LS bug has bitten. I've been looking for one with LPG and this one looks pretty tidy but price is possibly a little steep.

Not sure how much history it has but the description seems honest. Thoughts? Thanks guys.

Hi Phil,

Welcome to the LOC. The car looks OK and the

description sounds good, my only worry would be the LPG system, the

picture that shows what there is of it you can see in the engine bay

looks a right lash up. I would definitely want that checked out

thoroughly by an expert. One thing you can do for yourself, if

there is any smell of gas just walk.

The cars definitely worth looking at and if you can get the car for around £2250/£2500 you got a bargain but the LPG system needs to be checked.

Good luck Mike

I wouldn't even consider this one.. the screwdriver and torch are missing from the toolbox! :)

Seriously I have to agree it does look well cared for and genuine so worth a visit.

Mike's points on the LPG are also very good advice, ask if there is a certificate and a service record for the LPG.

I think anyone who encourages an RAC vehicle inspection has to be confident those guys will find anything amiss.

I do wonder what the red wire running across the suspension tower is though?

Hi guys,

Hi Phil,

The cars definitely worth looking at and if you can get the car for around £2250/£2500 you got a bargain but the LPG system needs to be checked.

Good luck Mike

Hi Mike the LPG system looks OK to me not as neat as my profess job but neater than the battesea autogas job on my last LS.

I wouldn't touch this car for that price, it's a cat c, you guys must remember this car, a guy in Devon was selling it before, I remember this car well, he sold it for £1200 in the end due to it being a cat c

• Like 1

I wouldn't touch this car for that price, it's a cat c, you guys must remember this car, a guy in Devon was selling it before, I remember this car well, he sold it for £1200 in the end due to it being a cat c

I have to agree it is a CAT C and is only worth half of what ever the market value is and I don't mean the price this seller is asking yes its a nice car and you will probably be very pleased with it but at the end of the day a CAT C is not worth full price sorry Steve.

• Like 1

Hi guys,

Hi Phil,

Good luck Mike

Hi Mike the LPG system looks OK to me not as neat as my profess job but neater than the battesea autogas job on my last LS.

Seems the LPG system is the least of its problems.

If I was looking I'd still consider this, even being a Cat C, assuming I negotiated a good price of course. If you plan to keep it for some time I don't see that it really matters. Easy to get put off thinking it's had major damage. My Vectra was written off as a Cat C, but all repaired with a new bumper and some work on the tailgate, perfectly safe though.

Thank you to all who have responded. Great forum.

The eBay listing does not disclose front end damage and I have to say I can't quite see the difference in colour on the front, but I suspected someone on here might know this car. I do note that the car has been sitting on eBay for some time. I suppose the number of these Mark 4s is limited and people do get to know each car, especially with a forum like this.

Whilst I'm looking for a Mk4 as a lot of faults have been ironed out, I really am developing a liking for the old school look of the Mark 1/2s, based on the ones I've seen. That gem with LPG must be out there, somewhere!

I agree with those who mentioned the Cat"C" problem, it cuts the number of people who would buy it dramatically, and therefore it's price.

It's probably not entirely fair, as old luxury cars will be easily written off due to parts cost, whereas a modern bread and butter car with the same light damage would be repaired and not recorded.

If the car stood up to inspection, I'd consider it, but it would need to be about half the price.

Edited to say, in case some don't know, the vehicle check, as mentioned in the ad, after a cat"C" has been repaired, is not for condition or quality of repair, but purely for identity, VIC stands for vehicle identity check.

And of course it would have had a new MOT for the VIC..My old Mk2 M470HWO, out there somewhere, was a write-off for insurance, due to vandalism, paint damage and tyres .... cost of repair min £5k BUT someone bought it and I did subsequently see it around looking bright and sparky too.......... and of course with zero accident damage.

wonder what's happened with it now ???? any ideas folks !

Malc

I would need to see written evidence of what was done by way of accident repairs as you only have the sellers word at present as to what the damage was.

If as someone has already said there is a colour difference then the price would have to come right the way down, second thoughts I wouldn't bother with it as that colour difference would really get on my nerves. Just be patient one will come along with all your boxes ticked and at the right price without that sort of history. Mike

Cat C or not its a good buy. period

Its a lovely car and if you didn't know it was a CAT C you would be really pleased BUT it is and so is not worth anything like what its advertised for that's the problem.

Do you have to declare Cat C etc to your insurer?

I thought for some reason a Cat C would affect my premium but it didn't. Certainly wouldn't bother me as long as I had full details of the accident/repair. Most importantly as others have said it needs to be cheaper. Looks very nice.

Seems to have gone now anyway.

Its a lovely car and if you didn't know it was a CAT C you would be really pleased BUT it is and so is not worth anything like what its advertised for that's the problem.

I would have used that as a bargaining chip

If you don't and the car is ever in an accident the insurer will know the car as been a cat c and this will effect any payout you receive you may also have trouble insuring it fully comp for the same reason, as for do you declare the car was a cat c they can soon find out if it was Steve.