Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lexus Newbie Defecting From Saab

jonpete

Hi All

Just got an IS200 Sport Y reg 2000 model and impressed with how well this 13 year old car holds up at 101,000 miles.

The drive is quite a revelation ... comfortable ride, solid car, excellent build quality, smooth acceleration, an almost silent engine, great cornering and handling, plus superb equipment spec. A significant improvement over the Saabs we've been driving for the last 13 years. Still getting used to 6 gears and an easy clutch.

Cheers

Jo & Pete

Thanks

We never thought we'd be able to afford a Lexus in Australia (where we spent the last 11 years) and most were automatic transmission. Coming from quirky Saabs the chronograph speedo dials and offset hand brake don't phase us. Ours is a 2001 model not 2000, so even better. Have a few envious relies (relatives). We've driven Toyotas both here in the UK and in Australia so know all about the reliability, robustness and high mileage genes that the Lexus Inherited. We were looking at the top 3 for reliability, Honda, Toyota and Lexus. Did a lot of research on used vehicles before coming back to the UK and a decent Lexus IS200 like ours can be had for the price of the other two marques, so it was a no brainer really. We're now looking at the Sportcross and RX300 as our second car.

Cheers

Pete

post-48406-0-20332700-1382424462_thumb.j

post-48406-0-18025500-1382424474_thumb.j

• Like 2

Hi Jo & Pete and welcome to the club.

I see your considering a Sportcross for a second car, all I can say is you won't regret it I love my Sportcross and the extra load space is sooooo useful, wonderful car.

Good luck with your Sport and happy hunting for a Sportcross.

Love the colour of your IS200 Sport, in fact I had last Toyota Supra painted in the same colour!

Too right Ian, Saab went down hill once GM got their claws into them. As Saab fanatics we loved the 99 Turbos and 900's from Saab's golden era, so were quick to notice penny pinching, cost cutting, drop in build quality and reliability in cars they produced after these models. The longer GM ran Saab the quicker the deterioration in safety innovations, character, reliabailty, drive performance and build qualty. The 99 Turbo is our fave Saab, with great character, handling and cornering, a light steering considering it has no power steering, and a fun to drive turbo engine. The Lexus takes over from where our 99 left off, retaining the driving enjoyment factor, although there is a 23 year technology gap between them. The Lexus is a noticable jump in quality and ride over any GM Saab, especially later models, so I am always a little amused at seeing the Saab 9-3 mentioned as an "alternative" in reviews of the IS200.

Thanks Barney, I'm usually into Black, white or Silver, but quite like this rich blue finish. We actually short listed the Honda CRV, Toyota Celica and Supra along with the Lexus IS200. We'll need a second car when my wife starts working, but we are still looking at another IS200 of some sort, RX300, Toyota Celica (pronounced "Silly Car" by my old manager) or Honda CRV. If possible we would like to stay with Lexus or Toyota, as family in the auto trade advised us to stick with Japanese makes like Toyota/Honda for a reliable runner, or Lexus if we wanted reliable prestige. They've serviced Porches, Lambos. Ferraris, Mazaratis, Astons, Bentleys, Rollers as well as Mercs, Beemers and Audis for decades so know their reliability shortcomings. Given their experience, Lexus came out way ahead of beemers and mercs.

We must have done something right with the Lexus as our daughter has kindly offered to swap cars with her Astra 1.7 SRI TDi if we want to make any long trips, to save us on our fuel economy of course. lol. Not a chance!

• 4 weeks later...

Too right Ian, Saab went down hill once GM got their claws into them. As Saab fanatics we loved the 99 Turbos and 900's from Saab's golden era, so were quick to notice penny pinching, cost cutting, drop in build quality and reliability in cars they produced after these models. The longer GM ran Saab the quicker the deterioration in safety innovations, character, reliabailty, drive performance and build qualty. The 99 Turbo is our fave Saab, with great character, handling and cornering, a light steering considering it has no power steering, and a fun to drive turbo engine. The Lexus takes over from where our 99 left off, retaining the driving enjoyment factor, although there is a 23 year technology gap between them. The Lexus is a noticable jump in quality and ride over any GM Saab, especially later models, so I am always a little amused at seeing the Saab 9-3 mentioned as an "alternative" in reviews of the IS200.

Thanks Barney, I'm usually into Black, white or Silver, but quite like this rich blue finish. We actually short listed the Honda CRV, Toyota Celica and Supra along with the Lexus IS200. We'll need a second car when my wife starts working, but we are still looking at another IS200 of some sort, RX300, Toyota Celica (pronounced "Silly Car" by my old manager) or Honda CRV. If possible we would like to stay with Lexus or Toyota, as family in the auto trade advised us to stick with Japanese makes like Toyota/Honda for a reliable runner, or Lexus if we wanted reliable prestige. They've serviced Porches, Lambos. Ferraris, Mazaratis, Astons, Bentleys, Rollers as well as Mercs, Beemers and Audis for decades so know their reliability shortcomings. Given their experience, Lexus came out way ahead of beemers and mercs.

We must have done something right with the Lexus as our daughter has kindly offered to swap cars with her Astra 1.7 SRI TDi if we want to make any long trips, to save us on our fuel economy of course. lol. Not a chance!

welcome to LOC jonpete im sure u going to love ur lexus i got a lexus is200 in blk it got 96k on clock but drives like its new nice cars :) btw any prblems u have with it post on here theres a lot of great members who can help ya great site great ppl superb lexus lol :)

Thanks

We never thought we'd be able to afford a Lexus in Australia (where we spent the last 11 years) and most were automatic transmission. Coming from quirky Saabs the chronograph speedo dials and offset hand brake don't phase us. Ours is a 2001 model not 2000, so even better. Have a few envious relies (relatives). We've driven Toyotas both here in the UK and in Australia so know all about the reliability, robustness and high mileage genes that the Lexus Inherited. We were looking at the top 3 for reliability, Honda, Toyota and Lexus. Did a lot of research on used vehicles before coming back to the UK and a decent Lexus IS200 like ours can be had for the price of the other two marques, so it was a no brainer really. We're now looking at the Sportcross and RX300 as our second car.

Cheers

Pete

i wanted that colour but got black instead coz guy who had that colour in blue sold it grrr but black is nice too has cream leather interior :) :) nice color mate enjoy ur lexus just look after it n it will look after u :)

Hi All

Just got an IS200 Sport Y reg 2000 model and impressed with how well this 13 year old car holds up at 101,000 miles.

The drive is quite a revelation ... comfortable ride, solid car, excellent build quality, smooth acceleration, an almost silent engine, great cornering and handling, plus superb equipment spec. A significant improvement over the Saabs we've been driving for the last 13 years. Still getting used to 6 gears and an easy clutch.

Cheers

Jo & Pete

i used 6th gear on motorway did 264 miles from teeside to highwycombe on snow mode out of full tank 75£ i used about 50 was very impressd give snowmode a try will save fuel mate ;):)

Welcome to the LOC Jo & Pete. I'm still astonished at how well these cars are built. Most of ours are over 100,000 miles and still drive like they've come from the factory.

As for the SportCross. I love Zorro and wish Lexus had built them for the second gen IS. Fuel economy can be good if you drive carefully. If you don't (and I don't blame you) you're gonna have a huge smile on your face!