Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Two Corroded Tyre Valves On 08 Gs450H?

ukbuffalo

Long time lurker, first time poster! Hoping someone out there can advise.

I've just had a strange experience on my 08 GS450h. Tyre (or tire as the display called it!) pressure warning light comes on close to home. Get the car back and stop to go around and inspect the tyres. No obvious flat, so take the plastic dust caps off to have a look. Here's where it gets weird.

When I took the first one off, there's a noticeable ring around the metal and it's hissing slightly letting air escape after I take the cap off (see picture one). Then, moving to another dust cap, the whole metal valve comes off in my hand, it makes a loud explosive sound and all the air rushes out quickly (see pic two).

Now, at first I wondered if I'd been subject to some sophisticated vandalism - damage the valves and put the dust caps back on. But it looked too rough and more like it had corroded. Searching on here, I notice a few other people who've had problems with their tyre valves.

So, from people's personal knowledge and experience, does this sound and look like corrosive damage? If so, I'm hoping it'll be covered under the Lexus Used Car Warranty, as I only bought the car from a dealer five months ago and it's meant to come with a very comprehensive 12-months warranty (comprehensive for an 'older' used car at least!)

Because of the tyre pressure sensor - which ironically I can now see in close detail inside the valve that's come off - I'm loathe to shell out a few hundred quid to get them replaced as it's not really my fault!

Any views of advice appreciated.

Thanks,

Nick

post-47068-0-01932500-1381964744_thumb.j

post-47068-0-37900900-1381964771_thumb.j

That's definitely corrosion damage, could have been a different outcome if it corroded any more and blew off at speed. I'd say it should be covered under warranty as it's a safety issue as well.

If they are willing to do repair, make sure all 4 are done as others are no doubt suffering as well.

• Like 1

Just re-read your post and noticed only 5 months since purchased. Don't worry about warranty as you are covered by Sale of Goods Act which means that the onus is on the dealer to prove that the valves were not faulty when you purchased the car. Just make sure you get to dealer ASAP since this "reverse burden of proof" lasts until you have had the vehicle for 6 months. Sale of Goods Act will mean that sales not service are liable.

• Like 1

Thank you for all the advice, which helped my approach.

Interesting reading the Warranty terms as somewhat contradicing. In one section it clearly states 'all consumables... including tyres' are excluded and in another it states 'gereral wear and tear and corrision... including to wheels and wheel covers' is excluded. I argued that while I'd fully expect the tyres not to be covered as they're clearly consumables, the metal valves themselves form part of the inner and would be considered transferrable between new tyres, so aren't consumable. I also argued that the valves are not actually wheels or wheel covers and that, as they include the wireless pressure sensors, they are clearly in integral safety feature that is intended to be long-lasting.

The dealer was unsure when I spoke to them with this arguement, so advised I get pre-authorisation for a warranty repair from the central team. Made the same case to the claims assitant on the phone and they escalated my call. Was pleasantly surprised with a phone call back an hour or so later saying the repair was authorised under warranty. Even more surprised when, shortly after this first call, the local Lexus dealer called to say the repair had been booked in centrally and, as the car wasn't driveable, they've fitted it in tomorrow at short notice and would be happy to pick it up.

As a new owner, was initially worried that the notoriously good Lexus service wouldn't come through, but pleasantly reassured it has done. Fingers crossed for a quick and easy repair tomorrow - I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Nick

Lexus official metal dust caps normally don’t corrode on,
but if you buy your own they might, so put a little Vaseline on the thread and
unscrew and screw them up again every couple of months just to make sure they don’t
seize.

Keep the wheels and valves free of brake dust this will also
prevent corrosion.

The wheel shown below was of my 2008 GS 450h, 4 years old
when I sold it.

lexus4sale013.jpg

• Like 1

This senario shows just how dependent owners have become on electronic monitoring systems like the TPMS to flag up a problem in this case with tyre pressures.

Had this been a conventional vehicle with standard valves and the correct periodic tyre pressure checks had been carried out this situation with corroded valves may never had occured as the damage would probably have been noticed and addressed before the valves reached the stage they have on this vehicle.

One question I have to ask is are the valves with TPMS not replaced as a matter of course when the tyres are replaced, as with standard valves or are they due to the cost left in service with the replacement tyres to end up as in this case corroded to the point of becoming a safety issue?

Call me old fashioned but it takes 5 minutes to check my tyre pressures and at the same time check the tread and both sidewalls for unseen damage, one thing these electronic systems cannot do.

• Like 1

Well - excellent service experience today. Quick reply, no additional quibbles or questions about the warranty, an excellent wax and valet, and they've even replaced all the old dust caps with new metal ones (previous owner had changed them to standard plastic ones, which may have contributed to the corrosion).

Wendle - your car looks in great condition. Pleased to say mine of a similar age looks excellent all round too and even the wheels are looking sparkling now too. Pleased I decided to spend the bit extra on getting one from a dealer when I bought used six months ago. Has already proven its worth.

Steve - I agree with you entirely about the risk of over-reliance on electronic systems. This is the first car I've owned with such gizmos so used to being more self reliant. I was actually a bit frustrated the parts would be nealy ten times standard valves. As you suspected, I reckon they probably aren't regular replaced when tyres are. Will be making sure I give them all a good check regularly when I check tyre pressure.

Thanks all for your help - will keep visiting and hopefully return the favour to others in the future!