Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi all,

My precious LS400 (1992 Reg) has come to the end of its life with me. Engine, gearbox etc all in perfect running order but the running gear (track rod end, front suspension arm bushes etc. ) failed it on the MOT and the cost of repair is such that, reluctantly, have to sell it on. I would hate to see this magnificent vehicle go to a scrap yard, particularly since I have just had new discs/pads on the back and it goes like muck off the proverbial shovel!

Can anyone give me advice as to the best place (and price?) in which to sell this. This was originally my late husband's car and I am (sadly) emotionally attached to it!

Thanks for any advice

Hi Wendy

Your feelings are entirely understandable. To put matters in perspective may I ask you how many miles has the car done and how much have you been quoted for the repairs? Is it an independent garage or is it a Lexus franchised dealer?

Best wishes

Pepe

Hi thanks for the understanding ;-(

The car is 'K' reg and has done 133,000 ish (barely run in! )

I have been quoted between £850 and £1200 by the independent garage that did the MOT.

I have to say that's not bad for a Lexus with such little mileage AND as you say it drives great ALSO no matter how much you trust the garage I should get a second opinion on the so called fault before making a final decision

In addition, and assuming it fits yours I have a complete second hand suspension for a 98 LS which is for sale very cheap

Thanks for that but I have had a second opinion and really HAVE to sell it now. I don't want to scrap it because there's so much that is wonderful about it. I am hoping I can pass it on to another Lexus enthusiast with the necessary skills to mend it and love it! However, the only place I know Lexus enthusiasts live is here.........

You need to be a Gold Member to sell on here.

Hang on a minute here !!!! these suspension bits don't fail just like that ......... one would, without any doubt, get some warning from prior MOTs that wear was becoming apparent !

Did the ( any ) MOT station give you any earlier, prior year, indication ?

If my mind's thinking right, the MOT tester has an " objective " view of the wear on these components ......... and passes or fails or warns ( an Advisory ) appropriately.

Just a thought, maybe another garage should be giving you an independent, even a cursory look at those components just to confirm that all is as said by the MOT station.

just a thought ................ 133,000 miles seems an incredibly short life for these components unless the car has been bouncing up and down unmade potholed roads all it's life.

Just a thought. :whistling:

Malc

• Like 2

Hang on a minute here !!!! these suspension bits don't fail just like that ......... one would, without any doubt, get some warning from prior MOTs that wear was becoming apparent !

Did the ( any ) MOT station give you any earlier, prior year, indication ?

If my mind's thinking right, the MOT tester has an " objective " view of the wear on these components ......... and passes or fails or warns ( an Advisory ) appropriately.

Just a thought, maybe another garage should be giving you an independent, even a cursory look at those components just to confirm that all is as said by the MOT station.

just a thought ................ 133,000 miles seems an incredibly short life for these components unless the car has been bouncing up and down unmade potholed roads all it's life.

Just a thought. :whistling:

Malc

Good thoughts, Malc

Yes, sound thinking Malc but I think I know they're right from the 'noises off' I have been getting! Anyway, I have been sensible and decided it's got to go. What I really wanted was advise on where to sell it. I apologise if any Gold members thought I was using the Forum as a place to sell, that wasn't my intention. I am a widow and I was just asking for advise really.

I have found that gumtree and preloved are good places to sell cars, FLe-bay is ok but be prepared to deal with some idiots, although i have never been messed about when selling a car, recently sold one on behalf of my father.

Autotrader is another option but it's quite expensive compared to others,

Or as other members have said become a gold member for £40 and sell away, not much more expensive than a good ad on Autotrader.

Well Gardenesse, if it really does need all that money spent on it then it probably has just about zero / scrap value . If it doesn't need that level of spend then it might just have better value, say £1200 maybe !! if it's really " spot on " condition wise.

Mal;c

Unfortunately it doesn't take much to run a 1.5K repair bill up on an old LS400, 2 front bottom ball joints and 2 top wishbones from Lexus and fiting will reach this figure.

Ok there are after market parts but we all know these are often of dubious quality and short lived alternatives, I was recently in the position of needing a replacement upper front arm but at £521.00 from Lexus I was considering aftermarket until an OEM one was found at Japparts for £120.00.

I have also broken an LS400 and made more money than selling it as a complete car but you need the space to do this and accept it is a long term operation plus the flak from the other half.

The thing is you could sell the car as it is for basically scrap value or spend the money gaining an MOT and then trying to recover the repair costs in the selling price but whichever way you are still parting with a car with treasured memories.

• Like 1

If I was you there is a very interesting post on moneysavingexpert about MOTs and garages failing trying to drum up more business. The council offer MOT for their own vehicles and won't refuse to test a normal vehicle. There is no gain to them failing your car on more than it needs. It may just be worth paying another £50 to get a second MOT test

• Like 3

If I was you there is a very interesting post on moneysavingexpert about MOTs and garages failing trying to drum up more business. The council offer MOT for their own vehicles and won't refuse to test a normal vehicle. There is no gain to them failing your car on more than it needs. It may just be worth paying another £50 to get a second MOT test

I agree I once took one vehicle to two different MOT Stations within 24 hours & one failed it the other didn't

Dunno whereabouts in Yorkshire you are, but I know a *very* good MOT place who will not fail a car to get work -

he has contracts with a couple of truck fleets so isn't desperate for work.

He's on the Leeds/Wakefield border in Thorpe Village. (about 10 mins from M1/M62/M621).

If you'd like to PM me, I'd be more than happy to help you with it, rather than see a potentially good car go to the scrappers.

With regards to an MOT, always try to take your vehicle to a tester that does not have a repair shop attached, like Halfords do for example, i know sometimes you have to or want to.

I know Halfords got slated last year or year before for failing a cars brakes, and fixing them without consulting the owner, they even put super cheap parts on that the owner would not have chosen.

An independant tester with no repair shop does not care if the car passes or fails, they do the test and tell you.

I find you get a better result of pass or fail as they have no interest in saying "it's a bit worn" to drum up business for themselves.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, i may like to take the engine, gearbox and drive train. That lexus v8 trike is still a toy for the making in the back of my mind.

With regards to an MOT, always try to take your vehicle to a tester that does not have a repair shop attached, like halfords do for example, i know sometimes you have to or want to.

I know halfords got slated last year or year before for failing a cars brakes, and fixing them without consulting the owner, they even put super cheap parts on that the owner would not have chosen.

An independant tester with no repair shop does not care if the car passes or fails, they do the test and tell you.

I find you get a better result of pass or fail as they have no interest in saying "it's a bit worn" to drum up business for themselves.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, i may like to take the engine, gearbox and drive train. That lexus v8 trike is still a toy for the making in the back of my mind.

It.s on gumtree for £500

Edited by IanS200
mistake on year, thanks Malc.

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links