Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Dare I Go Back To Lexus?

Hi all, I've enjoyed reading the posts.

Can anyone give an idea of typical range for these cars now.

That has always been one of the issues for me with the hybrids. Whereas the german diesels can offer a range of over 600 miles and even up to 700, the hybrids always seem to be around 350 miles based on quite small fuel tanks. Just 65 litres even for the RX.

The IS has a 66 litre but as the mpg seems to be getting better the range is getting more acceptable.

A second point.

People talk about the benefits of hybrids not being so evident on longer journeys and that stop start is where they are most efficient.

Based on 3+ years with a prius as our second car, I really don't think it's that clearcut.

People seem to think that long motorway based journeys are all about crusing, but in reality even motorways go up and downhill, even a slight gradient makes a difference. The hybrid system on our prius was always working away even on long journeys, and long downhill sweeps on the M3 used to really re-charge the Battery and vice versa.

So I am really positive on hybrids and I can't wait to get one of these new breed lexus models, though I will wait till they are 3/4 years old.

In terms of range then I got 400 miles on £50 worh and that seeemed to be around 2/3rds of a tank so I'd say 5-600 mile range with sensible driving as guess.

I agree that the Battery was being used on motorways at various points but definatly much less effective. The diesels will give better mpg on motorway but worse in city so I would have to say that if anyones main mileage is motorway then a german diesel will beat the lexus hybrid every time. The opposite is true inner city. One of my friends bought a lexus 200H and ended up trading it in after 3 months for a bmw because he was a long distance motorway driver and felt that the 200H was not very good at all.. Obvioulsy his own fault for not doing a proper test drive...

In my very first tank of fuel, I managed to get 550 miles before I had to put some more in - even then the range was saying I had another 15 miles or so.

This is fairly impressive bearing in mind the following;

1) The car is brand new and not been run in at all - it was its very first tank of fuel. I know from experience of a GS450h that I had before, that the mpg gets even better over time.

2) Hybrids are slightly less efficient in colder weather as it takes the engine longer to warm up. The engine has to be certain temperature before the hybrid Battery will take over and so the Battery does not swap over quite as easily as it does in the summer months.

3) I have winter tyres on which are also great for grip for not so good for rolling resistance and therefore tend to reduce your mpg slightly

4) I'm not a slow driver and easily keep up with the traffic

Therefore, next summer I will be expecting up to around 600 miles quite easily if not more.

However, I have been a hybrid driver for 6 years, so am very used to the way they drive and generally how to get the best out of them. If its your first, then you'll find that your driving style will change slightly if you want to maximise the fuel efficiency of the hybrid system.

Ironically, I found that driving at slightly higher speed on motorways, lifting off the throttle and then letting the car gently reduce in speed works best, or just a very light throttle will keep your mpg pretty good and will often have the EV mode kick in even at 75mph.

I also agree that using the downhill inclines on the motorway work just as well as they do on your normal trips on A Roads.

What I have also found is that now when I drive a 'normal' car, using the hybrid driving style, I can achieve very impressive mpg which usually exceeds what the manufacturers say it should. E.g. my Polo with a DSG gearbox is meant to get 47mpg on the combined cycle but I get between 52-55mpg all of the time.

So, I just finished a 3 day test drive o fthe bmw 420D Msprt and while its a very nice car with a lovely smooth 8 speed auto-box, I think I will go for the lexus f-sport this time round. BMW do know how to make a quality car with lots of delicate touches and an excepetional diesel engine/auto-box combination so it would also have been a good choice. The motorway fule economy was obviously better with 60mpg in sensible mode but the city driving was worse than the lexus (as expected)

In the end its mainly come down to the fact that the lexus is a bit different and comes with more gadgets versus the 3 german options i looked at. Lease prisc wise there is not much in it.

The quote I have is for the F-Sport in Ultrablue with Nav and the only compromise I have made is to not go for the leather seat pack as its just too expensive when I don't use seat memory type features etc as am the only driver. I had to have the Nav as its essential for my job and i can't recall the last car I had without a built-in nav option.

The plan is to get a final quote on friday and then press the order button. delivery will be april as thats when the current lease expires.

Thanks for the update Haf, I'm sure you won't regret the choice and I wouldn't mind betting you'll see a difference in customer service too.

Look forward to pics in due course.

I've now had a 300h Luxury for nearly 4000 miles, since 1 August.

Consumption has dipped in the cooler weather I have to say - I'm at 44mpg currently, on a typical mix (I probably tend marginally towards shorter journeys compared to most of you - I'd say you would expect 46-48mpg ordinarily).

I have always hitherto had Volvos, but my wife has always had Audis. Strolling out to the driveway for a quick jaunt to the shops, I used to prefer the Audi marginally over the Volvo. But now I take the Lexus every time without hesitation. (So I don't pine for the Germans at all, even when I have access to one! Granted, that's a personal view.)

The good: the drive is great; the seat is great; the controls take a bit of getting used to but are fantastic once you do; the car looks a class apart; the modes are really distinct (giving a fundamentally different drive if you want, even over the same route); it's just a lot of fun.

The bad: takes ages to re-fuel (has anyone else had this? I'm going to try holding the nozzle out); the boot lid is awful.

Oh yes, and customer service is excellent.

Highly recommended - do it!

Ian I totally agree with you about the boot-lid which feels really flimsy compared with that on my old C-Class. Thankfully the doors feel substantial enough! Also had the re-fuelling issue, took ages to fill up like you say with the pump constantly clicking and stopping grr. Had to pull the nozzle right out and tease the fuel into the tank.

Overall I'm averaging 41 mpg which is disappointing, if I really focus and use every techniques I can think of I can get over 60mpg on my journey home. Have been playing a bit with the paddles though which really hurts the consumption. Also gave the heated seats a whizz for the first time today, very nice :-)

Congratulations Haf, I only waited two weeks and that was long enough, but I suppose four months does mean forget about it for the time being.

We look forward to pics in the Spring sometime!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links