Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi All, I have just graduated from IS200 to IS250. :) I am delighted with my new car, a 2008 IS250 SR. I have wanted one of these for a few years and read up on them extensively. I just wanted to know if there are any hints and tips that you can offer from the group's collective experience. I understand the mechanicals are pretty bulletproof but what mods and additional maintenance works well with these cars?

post-47847-0-19422700-1383823074_thumb.jpost-47847-0-03555300-1383823077_thumb.jpost-47847-0-10908500-1383823079_thumb.jpost-47847-0-13670400-1383823081_thumb.j

Hey Matt, Welcome to the club!!!

Thats a nice car and great colour too.

You can start off by converting your interior lighting to LED, which is really cheap from eBay - here is the link: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260863230811?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D260863230811%26_rdc%3D1

You will find videos on this forum on how to get them all changed but fairly easy and take 10-15 minutes to do. You should also consider the LED to the side mirror puddle lamps as this will help in the dark nights.

Another mod you shoud consider doing is the PO-40 kit which will fold your side mirrors automaticly when you lock the doors and unfold when you unlock the car - Read this for more info: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260863230811?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D260863230811%26_rdc%3D1

Is your car an automatic?

Thanks Ishaq, I will look into the lighting mod. Fortunately my car is garaged during the day so I seldom need to fold in the mirrors.

Mine is an automatic. It is my first automatic car. It does make commuting less taxing but I do miss the control of the manual.

A quick mod you can do is to change the stock air filter to a lifetime K&N oiled one - around £35 and will last the life of the car. You will initially notice the cars more responsive when in Drive until you get used to it. - Easy to do.

Also you could reset your ECU to allow the car learn your driving habits.

If its still under warranty then get the exhaust checked for rust / wear as its a very expensive replacement as I have found out.

Your car is the same colour as mine, I love it, my wife doesn't. Very similar to my previous Rover 75 Connoisseur, she didn't like that either!

I think that I will do the interior lighting modification myself shortly, looks to be well worth doing. I have thought about doing this previously but never seem to get around to it.

Enjoy your car.

A quick mod you can do is to change the stock air filter to a lifetime K&N oiled one - around £35 and will last the life of the car. You will initially notice the cars more responsive when in Drive until you get used to it. - Easy to do.

Also you could reset your ECU to allow the car learn your driving habits.

If its still under warranty then get the exhaust checked for rust / wear as its a very expensive replacement as I have found out.

If you do the K&N filter make sure you leave a note in the car at every service or some muppet will chuck it out without even looking!!

Yes - there are two stickers attached, one on filter and another on plastic engine cover. Quite surprised how much of a difference these make. One in wifes manual Tigra and she has noticed a difference (never told her I had fitted it)

• 10 months later...

Have not done the K & N filter myself. but, assuming it is exactly the same size. It should be a doddle.

Lift the bonnet and remove the abs engine side and front covers for the LH side.

You'll see the air filter unit at the front right behind the light cluster.

Pop the four or five catches and lift up the top gently. Be aware of the top piping and any wiring.

Lift out the old filter. Hoover out any debris

Pop in the new one and reverse all the other bits....job done. 20 mins max.

Perfect - thanks for that. Picking up an IS220d tomorrow so I'll take a look then.

I also want to take a look / clean out the EGR valve, anything else you'd recommend when you first get the car?

Thanks

There are plenty of Youtube vids for removal and cleaning of the EGR. That's over on the RHS of the engine block. Having done it once you will be able to do it in 30/40 mins each time after.

I had a 220d before i got my 250.

Please tell me you have read up on the 220d and the things that can go wrong with that engine and the strange gearing. It most definitely is not a run around town/short trips car. Not wishing to scare you....but it's better to go in with eyes wide open as they say.

Great motor....it'll be very much worth the wait!

All of the above are really good places to start.

One thing to bear in mind is to keep an eye on your oil levels with the 250. Factory states 1ltr per 1000 miles is normal. Mine does that and some extra, however I do drive it like I stole it!!

Another mod you shoud consider doing is the PO-40 kit which will fold your side mirrors automaticly when you lock the doors and unfold when you unlock the car - Read this for more info: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/260863230811?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_sacat%3D0%26_from%3DR40%26_nkw%3D260863230811%26_rdc%3D1

what is this mod?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links