Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Lpg Good Or Bad

jasonrye1

nice one Stuart.. looks like you really have to sit down to do the calculations to make it worth while. all depends on if you will be keeping the car for minimum 2-3 years as stated above..fitting cost alone is £1200 and although you will be buying the Gas at a more cheaper price you will still be buying petrol occasionally. last I checked lpg near where I live was £0.76 and unleaded at £128.9 that's a difference of about 0.53 pence per litre not a lot in it but makes a difference the more gas you buy . also consider how close you live to an LPG gas station as not all fuel stations cater for this so if you live say 10 miles away from one then consider the small cost involved in driving there and back occasionally to fill up all adds up within a year. also consider how much it really cost to carry out the annual lpg service as that was not stated above since its done remotely you will also have to budget for normal servicing of your car as well. that's two services yearly. if it costs say £100 - £200 for an lpg service annually then has it been a huge saving over running petrol on a yearly basis? all these needs to be considered I suppose..

Indeed. My mileage for the this first year was a surprise to me. 20000 miles . . . . . . Heaven forbid, if I did this again after the conversion, I would have covered the cost during that first year. Meaning the following year would be cheaper motoring, just a matter of factoring in the servicing costs. I think I could be saving £1000 - £1500 a year if I convert . . . .

Hmmm . . . . . . .

There are other benefits to take into consideration regardless of who supplies and fits.

1. LPG is a much cleaner fuel for your engine to run on with less pollutants means longer engine life.

2. The green argument. Cleaner fuel burn means less pollution coming out of your exhaust pipe which in turn means you are doing your bit to save the planet.

On a lighter note, remember to reduce your carbon footprint drive everywhere. Mike

So they are not fitting the prins system that doesn't burn up the valves? Did you ask them about IS200 having previous for being killed by LPG? I'd still be asking questions mate and I'd still be dubious.

Not looking for argument from the LPG lovers, I agree if it works on your car (such as the LS400 where it's proven to work faultlessly) then it's great, but I'd still be a little cautious. You never hear of LPG going wrong on the LS but there's even a member on this thread that had his IS ruined by LPG. Honestly nothing against LPG, my concern is purely for Stuart and his beloved Zorro! :)

• Like 1

Totally agree Chris. I'm going to make an appointment to see them and discuss these issues. £1200 is a big outlay, even if the reduction I costs can be recouperated quickly. I also need to ask about petrol useage for stop start and town driving. I use the car at work, not just the commute.

I'm not going to rush into this. I am aware of the effect LPG has had on some IS'. Thank you for your concern Chris.

Hi

I have a lpg kit fitted to my lexus is200 . It only holds around 36litres costing £26 to fill it and i can get 180 miles out of the full tank. We have the gas service every year and never had any engine problem due to gas over the last two years.

I have just replaced the cambelt kit plugs etc along with a new fuel injector do to a miss fire when ran on petrol.

I highly recommend lpg on lexus

• Like 1

Hi

It only holds around 36litres costing £26 to fill it and i can get 180 miles out of the full tank.

mmmh 180 miles from 36litres of lpg is very interesting. is this from mainly town driving or combined? since 4.54litres equals to 1 gallon, 36 litres will equal 8 gallons. thats 36 / 4.54. and if you can only travel 180 miles out of 8 gallons this works out at only 22.5 miles to each gallon. thats 180 / 8. are you really saving from having had this conversion done? IS200's without lpg officially returns around 21 miles to each gallon for town driving.... so lpg convertion has only bettered it by 1.5 miles to every gallon. is it me or something is not right here??

That's driving is mrs going to and from work round towns. On motorway driving we have had just shy of 200 miles from a full tank. I think its a big saving as we're be lucky to see 80 miles out of £26 of petrol

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have LPG on my Lexus SC430 with a PRINs system, cost 2k done by professautogas in Coventry, pay the best you get the best. I've had mine for 5 years now serviced every year and never had an issue, great economy, 275 miles out of 60litres, which for a 4.3 is pretty good.

Maintenance is the key!

Hope this helps

Hi, I am thinking to buy Lexus SC430, and interested in instaling LPG system. How you managed to fit 60 litres LPG fuel tank in to the trunk? Maybe you could add a photo? Thanks

• 5 months later...

Thank you for all your replys I think im going to give it a miss. My lexus runs as good as the day it left lexus.. And i hope it stays that way. WHY change a good thing. Wish you all on here the very best. BE LUCKY

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links