Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi there

I'm just about to buy a 1991 LS400 and my insurance company has insisted that it has a thatcham Cat 1 or 2 alarm. I noticed the Lexus alarm sticker in the drivers window does anybody know if the standard alarm is thatcham approved?

Looking forward to getting my hands on my new baby - just like to say a big thank you to the lady who wrote my BMW 735 off

Nick

hey there! welcome to the club! :D

unfortunately i know nothing about what level of alarm the LS400's got, I just said Thatcham1 on my application, I can vouch it's working though, just had it go off when i tried to open the bonnet after locking the car! :) :lol:

thatcham approved alarm must disable the car after 30 seconds of turning off the ignition.

you can however fit a thatcham 2 immobilser for £99.. you want to make sure its a virtual key one.

The standard Lexus alarm is not thatcham approved (that is on a Mk1 Ls400) - I had the same request from my insurance company. I just had the thatcham Cat 2 immobilizer fitted for £70 - seemed no point having the Cat 1 alarm when it already had an alarm fitted.

Make sure you get the certificate and send it in, cause if you dont and it gets nicked you wont get owt !!

:zee: Enjoy !!

Thanks for the info guys

Another insurance scam - I have it all the time on my motorbike - Cat 1 or no insurance. I'll get a Cat 2 put on asap.

Can't wait to get my hands on her - a different world from even my BMW 735.

I did feel a fool when I asked the owner for the keys when i got in it - to be told it was running!!! - I have never been in a car so quite.

Regards

Nick

I've a MkIV and Thatcham Cat 1 is factory fitted as standard.

Yep! The quietest engine there is I believe. Other cars have extra sound proofing. But I remember standing next to an MR2 with the engine running and not being able to hear the engine due to the cars on the road driving by.

I also once looked at buying a second hand Supra and again the engine was so quiet I could only hear the fan on the engine whirring with the bonnet up and the dealer revving the engine even!