Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Windscreen

Hi in order to avoid problems in future insist on a OEM one,I did after a lorry flipped a stone that cracked my windscreen and having read all the horror stories,didn't want to risk it, better safe than sorry.

No such thing as an OEM screen mate. Matt-C should come in on this thread, he's a professional glass fitter. All glass is made in the same place. The only difference between a screen supplied by say autoglass or the AA and that supplied by a dealer is a stamp that says Lexus. Lexus don't make glass, they get it from the same place as autoglass

Not going to get into an argument over terminology and what is defined as OEM and what isn't, as there seems to be varying views as to what that is or isn't for that matter?Furthermore who said Lexus make windscreens??????.I had to wait 2 weeks for my Lexus labelled one(not my terminolgy),where as a none Lexus labelled one would have been fitted straight way.Do what you consider best for you,your call at the end of the day,I know what i would do.Good Luck.

Chill, nobody is looking for an argument fella.

No, nobody said Lexus made glass but you saying to ask for "OEM" one implied that Lexus did.

I was just making the point that a screen from Lexus is exactly the same as a screen from autoglass or the AA except for a little stamp that says Lexus....and also if you go to a dealer and ask them to fit a windscreen they'll charge you more and just get autoglass or the AA to do it..... After it's had its Lexus stamp of course.

So I don't understand how an "OEM" screen, whatever you class that as, is better than any other screen from any other professional glass fitting company. That's all I was trying to say, there's no point going to a dealer that's all. If a Lexus stamp means that much to you then yeah ask the glass fitting company you use to get a Lexus stamped one.

As for avoiding further problems, these arise from poorly fitted glass, not inferior quality windscreens.

I didn't go to Lexus and it was fitted by autoglass

Yes I understand that, I mentioned the dealer because a lot of people think dealer when they hear OEM and I was just stressing to the OP don't use the dealer as it'll cost. apologies for confusion if I caused any.

Your screen is the screen autoglass would've fitted anyway except yours now has a Lexus stamp :)

I had my windscreen fitted by Autoglass earlier this year. a Pilkington screen. Very nice. The Lexus labelled ones are imported, is that right? Even though they are Lexus labelled, they are not Lexus made? I remember Panya having this same conversation. I can certainly understand why you would want all the windows labelled 'Lexus' as it looks slightly odd having one which isn't.

I had mind done by Autoglass a months ago as well. I got a lexus label one because the IS300 had the front heated screen, the first time round Autoglass had the Pilkington windscreen but this didn't have the heating element. To be honest Autoglass tech was top rated, he really covered every exposed metal, plastic surface he could find before working on the windscreen. He said normally he doesn't bothered but he got a soft spot for the IS hence taking extra care.

Just follow the aftercare instructions Autoglass give and you will be fine, but I would hose the edge of the glass down after 1 week of installation just to check for leaks, and drive it on the motorway to hear any wind noise.

• Like 1

hi to all,i bought my is200 one year ago with Pilkington windscreen ,was fine until 2 months ago when appear tiny scratches on it maybe from dust...I don't have ideea,but make me nervous... :devil: